Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Old Ti400 battery in New Ti800 can it be done?

Old Ti400 battery in New Ti800 can it be done?
sac84371
Aug 9, 2002, 01:49 AM

Can I use a Tibook 400 battery in my new Tibook 800 and if so is it okay to charge the battery from the old tibook 400 in my Tibook 800. I know there is a slight difference in the wattage and I would prefer not to damage my computer or the old battery I have from a departed tibook 400.

Thanks,

Richard

acadian
Senior User
Aug 9, 2002, 02:28 AM

I wouldnt see a problem with that, I'm still using the spare battery I bought for my Ti 500 in my new 800 DVI. Where you might run into an issue is with regard to the early battery alignment issue present in the first generation of G4 Powerbooks. The first batch of batteries were "slightly" smaller than the battery enclosure causing the battery contacts to separate if the powerbook was moved, resulting in shut down. As long as you dont make a habit of moving your powerbook while it is powered up, this shoudlnt be too much of an issue.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 12:28 PM

You can always stick a piece of folded, cut paper into the battery bay to force the smaller battery against the contacts.

Either the later PowerBook batteries and PowerBooks fixed this problem. I'm not sure whether it was Apple making the TiBook fit the batteries better or Apple making the batteries fit the TiBook better.

Zimwy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 02:31 PM

I'm using a 400 Mhz Battery in an 800 Mhz book right now. It works fine. Or at least I think it does. None of those problems where the battery would lose contact or anything like that (even though it's the same battery).

Gabe

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 04:18 PM

That leads me to believe the casing was fixed, then. Good to know!

Forum Links
Forum Rules