Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 4 (Official Thread)

iPhone 4 (Official Thread) (Page 14)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire View Post
Are you sure? I think it's totally legal, as they sell the necessary equipment at Radio Shack without any problem. It's just that the recording have no legal value unless the other party is aware you were recording.
This stuff varies so much from state to state to country that no blanket statement is worth the time it took to type it.

At the end of the day Apple is much better off for not including software that would be pretty controversial.

Are there other phones out there that can do this with their stock apps?

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2010, 10:01 AM

But in any way, it's not up to the phone maker or the carrier to ensure that the user is doing it legally.. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling a kit just for that purpose over the counter in most electronic shops.

i'm wondering why Apple is always going the extra mile to be on the safe side, like when they prohibit moving the music from an iPod to a computer, even if every other mp3 player allow it..

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2010, 10:06 AM

But in any way, it's not up to the phone maker or the carrier to ensure that the user is doing it legally.. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling a kit just for that purpose over the counter in most electronic shops.
Once again, its completely different for the user to go and purchase the tools to do it himself rather than for the hardware manufacture to willingly provide them.

-Q-
Jul 30, 2010, 10:07 AM

Are you sure? I think it's totally legal, as they sell the necessary equipment at Radio Shack and Staples without any problem. It's just that the recording have no legal value unless the other party is aware you were recording.
Reasonably sure about the US. Many states have implemented laws, as in Europe, to make it illegal to record conversations or record conversations without the other party's knowledge/consent.

Check out the article from the Citizen Media Law Project for an idea of the complexities: Recording Phone Calls and Conversations | Citizen Media Law Project

It looks like so much of a quagmire that Apple probably wants nothing to do with it.

Edit: Stepped away from the computer and didn't realize so many replies had popped in, so my post is rather redundant at this point. But still, much too much of an issue for Apple to even think about including software like that, IMO.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2010, 10:14 AM

On another topic, the iPhone arrives in Canada today, and I'm eligible for the 159$ upgade deal, which is interesting. My 3G iPhone still works great except it doesn't vibrate anymore, so I'm tempted to replace it, but there's no urgency. So I would be inclined to wait a bit before buying another phone, in part because it's not in my principle to replace something which still works, and in part because I'm tempted to wait to see if they fix the antenna issue from a hardware standpoint. But the thing is, the rebate seems to be for a limited time, so if I wait, I may have to pay at least 100$ more to replace it..

What should I do? Do they plan to release a rev. b iPhone 4 next month, hence the time-limit on the deal? I find it highly suspicious that Apple ends the free case program on a given date, which coincides with the limit on the Rogers' deal.. After all, the problem isn't gonna fix itself after a fixed date!

-Q-
Jul 30, 2010, 10:18 AM

What should I do? Do they plan to release a rev. b iPhone 4 next month, hence the time-limit on the deal? I find it highly suspicious that Apple ends the free case program on a given date, which coincides with the limit on the Rogers' deal.. After all, the problem isn't gonna fix itself after a fixed date!
I'm betting the rebate is to help encourage purchases of the iPhone 4 and to offer such a great deal to perhaps persuade anyone deterred by the antenna "issue" to buy. Classic marketing strategy: overcome doubts and objections by a limited-time offer.

FireWire
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2010, 10:22 AM

Damn! dilemma, dilemma.. I don't need it right now, but it's better to buy too soon than paying twice the price for it later, arghh...

But what about the time-limit for the bumper case? What happens to people who buys it after that?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 05:21 AM

i'm wondering why Apple is always going the extra mile to be on the safe side, like when they prohibit moving the music from an iPod to a computer, even if every other mp3 player allow it..
Once again: They don't prohibit that functionality, either - they just don't build it in.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 05:23 AM

But what about the time-limit for the bumper case? What happens to people who buys it after that?
Steve said they'd "re-evaluate" at that time and decide what to do.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2010, 10:46 AM

There is a one year warranty on the Phone. I can already hear the howling from early adopters. A Rev b iPhone 4
phased in after Sept 30 will not go unnoticed. Early adopters will feel cheated, justly or unjustly. How will Apple handle all that collective disappointment? Hard line, we're not interested in your complaint of imagined flaws in Rev A, a quiet gradual trade up under warranty on a case by case basis, a total recall.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2010, 11:40 AM

With the current free case solution having dampened all the bad publicity, Apple isn't going to open up the can of antenna worms by introducing a revision too soon--the next gen will be on the regular cycle.

Apple would stand to lose too much good will and too much money (lawsuits, trade-ups, whatever.)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2010, 12:01 PM

So... will iPhone 5 have it's antenna as a metal band around the rim??? If they change the antenna design they admit defeat. If they keep the rim and signal is ok, why couldn't they do that for iPhone 4. If they keep the rim and it still has signal issues, what have they been doing for the 12 months since iPhone 4?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2010, 02:18 PM

If they change the antenna design they admit defeat.
Not if they manage to spin it as a new revolutionary design that provides better-than-ever-seen coverage (which I’m sure they will—manage, that is). Then it’s no more admitting defeat than the new antenna design in iPhone 4 vis-à-vis the old one in iPhone 3.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 06:22 PM

Got my bumper today.

Doesn't work with my docks, doesn't work with my JBL OnStage.

Retarded. I didn't expect any better though.
The Apple iPad sleeve doesn't work with the iPad dock, it's the same stupid stuff all over again.

-t

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 31, 2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Got my bumper today.

The Apple iPad sleeve doesn't work with the iPad dock, it's the same stupid stuff all over again.

-t
Please replace "retarded" with "Developmentally Disabled". ( 2nd reminder )
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the Developmentally Disabled comment

-t

Orion27
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2010, 10:11 PM

Seriously, I'm feeling ill

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2010, 01:14 PM

Got my bumper today.

-t
I think most of us know that the bumper will not work with the dock. How many cases do?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by tonewheel View Post
I think most of us know that the bumper will not work with the dock.
I had hope, knowing that chances were slim.

Apple should design their own cases with the docks in mind.

Shit, why can they design hardware with software in mind, but not get the docks / cases straight. It's just f*cking laziness.

-t

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2010, 01:38 PM

I really don't care about the antenna issue. I always use a nice, clear case. People are seriously getting too worked up over this. I'm a perfectionist, yet it doesn't bother me. Reason being is because with a case on, I can tell that I have much fewer dropped calls and better reception on the new phone!

I hope they won't get rid of the antenna from the side.
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2010, 12:12 AM

The Bumper works on the dock of our iHome clock/radio. It even fits on the cheap Dynex (Best Buy) dock for my home stereo. However, it's a few years old and I get the not compatible warning on my iPhone.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2010, 12:52 PM

I thought I would share that I used FacetTime on an Airtran flight the other day. It was awesome. That is all.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2010, 01:41 PM

I had hope, knowing that chances were slim.

Apple should design their own cases with the docks in mind.

Shit, why can they design hardware with software in mind, but not get the docks / cases straight. It's just f*cking laziness.

-t
Watch them add a matching Dock adapter piece and raise the price by five dollars.

Because that is what you're asking for, effectively.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2010, 02:23 PM

Does everyone have the antenna problem? My friend has an iPhone 4 and it worked fine without a case. I couldn't get it to drop the signal no matter how I held it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

FireWire
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Does everyone have the antenna problem? My friend has an iPhone 4 and it worked fine without a case. I couldn't get it to drop the signal no matter how I held it.
According to the media: 100% OMG!!11!! This phone is crap!!
According to Apple: 0.55%
According to some Internet survey: 20%

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 9, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Watch them add a matching Dock adapter piece and raise the price by five dollars.

Because that is what you're asking for, effectively.
OMG, FIVE Dollars ?!?!? I goes teh broke.

-t

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2010, 04:20 AM

Got my bumper today.

-t
My Bumber doesn't work with the charger cable that came with the iPhone4 (the connector is lightly too thick) but it works perfectly with carger cable that came with the iPhone3G.........

smithjohnson159
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2010, 01:22 PM

I just got a iPhone 4 and I absolutely love it. It's great, the display is amazing I can't see a pixel and the colors are vibrant and bright. I also think the retina display is far better the samsung's amoled displays. Don't even get me started about the pictures it can take and the HD video it can record because its just stunning. FaceTime is also cool but I have used it yet. The design is the best yet and the build quality is amazing. I absolutely love my iPhone 4 to me no phone comes close.

Forum Links
Forum Rules