Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Will SETI ever be optimized?

Will SETI ever be optimized?
coolmacdude
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 09:57 PM

It seems to me that SETI could improve its results tremendously by adding support for Altivec and SSE/other things on x86 processors. Yet they continue to refuse to do this. I know they have the bandwidth issue, but their languishing software is continually driving more people away from SETI because they feel their CPU time can be better utilized by other projects. Will they ever come around and provide better clients?

mikkyo
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Will they ever come around and provide better clients?
No.
They would crunch through all their data in weeks and then have to sit idle for months while the new stuff came in.
Switch to F@H.

coolmacdude  (op)
Senior User
May 23, 2003, 02:19 AM

I for one, am definitely not switching. I was just looking for some more insight and discussion into the situation.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 23, 2003, 04:35 AM

I for one, am definitely not switching. I was just looking for some more insight and discussion into the situation.
The current SETI is not likely to ever be optimized further. Most of their resources are going into the development of BOINC as a core platform for Astropulse and Southern Hemisphere (SETI 2).

Now because BOINC is open source, it is difficult to know how it will evolve. There is always the possibility that BOINC or certain projects running on it, might be optimized, but at this point no one knows. The current SETI will almost certainly never be.

bracken
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2003, 05:43 AM

It seems to me that SETI could improve its results tremendously by adding support for Altivec and SSE/other things on x86 processors. Yet they continue to refuse to do this. I know they have the bandwidth issue, but their languishing software is continually driving more people away from SETI because they feel their CPU time can be better utilized by other projects. Will they ever come around and provide better clients?
It's not in their best interest to optimize it. Then they'd run out of data for people to crunch and their sponsors are out the door.

SETI is a scam run by scamartists. Once E.T. is found I'll admit I'm wrong and apologize profusely.
( Last edited by bracken; May 24, 2003 at 09:09 PM. )

jcarr
Senior User
May 23, 2003, 02:03 PM

I have not looked at SETI in a while, but was thinking about running the command line version on my dual 867MHz G4.

Do I still need to run two clients (one for each processor), or has it (Darwin client v3.03) been optimized for SMP?

Just curous...
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2003, 03:31 PM

Two clients.

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
May 23, 2003, 07:01 PM

I think they would just have people repeat the data files again. AThey would never "run out".
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

Microns
May 24, 2003, 07:53 PM

Expect the IBM970 CPU to be altivec hardware.

Expect new Macs to have the IBM970 CPU.

Expect an altivec version of the new BOINC seti client.

Expect to crunch many WUs/day.

Shaktai
Mac Elite
May 24, 2003, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by Microns:
Expect an altivec version of the new BOINC seti client.
Now that would be nice. BOINC with altivec, especially if there 970s to run it on. Only time will tell, though I am hoping.

Forum Links
Forum Rules