Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 dual 1,25 Ghz or G5?

G4 dual 1,25 Ghz or G5?
HiDDeN
Nov 30, 2002, 12:57 PM

I need some help over deciding guys. I finally saved enough money to buy the dual 1,25Ghz G4, but I hear rumors that the G5 is going to be introduced at the Mac Expo in New York. anyone know if and when its coming? I'm seriously in a dilemma. Should I go out to get the dual G4 or should I wait and see if it's going to be introduced at the Expo and get me that one?

Regards
Nick

coolmac
Nov 30, 2002, 01:18 PM

I've been debating the same thing myself, and I've decided to wait at least until the end of January.

The current MDD Powermacs have been out for several months already and I have a feeling there will either be a price reduction or some major rebate coming soon, even if the release of new Powermacs (G5 or whatever) are not exactly around the corner.

I purchased the Quicksilver 933Mhz (great machine) at full price and about 3 months later the price was reduced about $300-$400.

Timewise I think the MDD Powermacs are about due to come down in price.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 01:26 PM

At this point I don't think even Steve Jobs knows for sure when the mythical G5 will appear, or if it will ever. The most widely accepted view is that the G4 has at least 2 more updates before we see a new processor, and the new processor will be the IBM 970. Judging by past performance, I'd say MacWorld New York is an optimistic date for the 970. It may be announced then, but I doubt it will ship until Q3 2003, maybe even later.

Since Motorola seems incapable of scaling the PPC to higher speeds, it looks like future revisions of the G4 will be very minor speed bumps. The Dual-1.25 GHz is an awesome machine and should remain at the top of the heap or very near it for the forseable future. Bear in mind, my opinion is just that: mine alone. Most of this is gleaned from a combination of rumor sources and hard news, with a healthy dose of scepticism thrown in for good measure.

Side note on the Dual-1.25 GHz - lots of folks report excessive noise from the fan. Comparisons to Hoover Vaccuums and jet engines are common. Look into this before plunking down your $$.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 05:34 PM

I'll have to second rambo47 on this one, although I think that the G4 will reach the 2 GHz barrier. Apparantly the G4 will be updated soon and will be available with up to 1.8 GHz and 0.13�m
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2002, 05:50 PM

Since the MDD desktops are very new, there will only be small updates (which unfortunately will leave PCs ahead in the speed wars). However, when the time comes, the G5 will be unleashed and Apple will be ahead yet again, surprising the PC semiconductor companies.

It's a timing thing.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules