Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 20" Apple studio display

20" Apple studio display
HiDDeN
Apr 23, 2003, 06:11 PM

I recently bought a new Dual 1,42 G4 along with a 20" Apple cinema display. What I really want to know is: can I turn off the display while the computer is working? I tried to turn it off by pushing the power button and that results in putting my display and my computer to sleep. Is it not possible to turn it off seperatly? my father also has an apple studio display 17" hooked up on an 450 G4 and he can do this by simply pushing the power button. There is no option in the displays in the system preferences to do this either. Anyone got any ideas?

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2003, 07:08 PM

You can turn the display off after a certain time in energy saver.

andrewbw
Apr 24, 2003, 01:01 PM

exa speaks the truth. Here's what I did, in a little more detail:

I have a 20" Cinema Display connected to a Quicksilver Dual 1GHz that I leave on 24/7. In Energy Saver, I set it to sleep the computer "never," but to sleep the display after 15 minutes. I then went to VersionTracker and downloaded a really simple freeware screensaver that just sets the screen to black. I configured it with a hot-spot in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Now, I can immediately force the screen "blank" if I'm working in my home office and don't want to be distracted, and if I leave it alone for an additional 10 minutes, the back-lighting will also turn off and the monitor will happily sleep until I need to use the machine.

Voila!

-A.
I'm not wearing any pants.

HiDDeN  (op)
Apr 24, 2003, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by andrewbw:
exa speaks the truth. Here's what I did, in a little more detail:

I have a 20" Cinema Display connected to a Quicksilver Dual 1GHz that I leave on 24/7. In Energy Saver, I set it to sleep the computer "never," but to sleep the display after 15 minutes. I then went to VersionTracker and downloaded a really simple freeware screensaver that just sets the screen to black. I configured it with a hot-spot in the lower right hand corner of the screen.

Now, I can immediately force the screen "blank" if I'm working in my home office and don't want to be distracted, and if I leave it alone for an additional 10 minutes, the back-lighting will also turn off and the monitor will happily sleep until I need to use the machine.

Voila!

-A.
Thanks for your reply, but this is not what I mean. What I really want to do is turn the power off completely. I know I can set a different display sleep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules