Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > g5 vs opature and athlon 64

g5 vs opature and athlon 64
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 01:49 PM

The new AMD can hold more than 8 gigs of memory. That is insane. What are your thoughs. ALso that link that says the new AMD is better, any one have that link still. It is interesting.
( Last edited by yoyoman; Jul 23, 2003 at 02:18 PM. )

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2003, 02:04 PM

I think you REALLY need to learn spelling and grammar.

Once you do that, maybe I and others will understand what you are saying, and be able to answer you.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

freaktornado
Jul 23, 2003, 02:21 PM

It is hard to tell what you're asking, but I'll take a shot.

The 8GB "limit" on the G5 is by choice, since the chip is capable of addressing a LOT more RAM than 8GB, AFAIK.

I assume Apple chose 8GB because more RAM slots=more costly machine.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by freaktornado:
It is hard to tell what you're asking, but I'll take a shot.

The 8GB "limit" on the G5 is by choice, since the chip is capable of addressing a LOT more RAM than 8GB, AFAIK.

I assume Apple chose 8GB because more RAM slots=more costly machine.
All the things that factor such as bus cache etc. Just in general. I forgot the link to the amd site that bashes apple lol but they talk about all the things in it.
500 gig sata is that enough for a video editor?
No new mouse and key board or monitor to go with it.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 02:41 PM

I can't tell if this guy is retarded or a troll or both...

simifilm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2003, 02:46 PM

Actually, Apple states that the G5, once 2GB RAM modules are available, will be able to adress 16GB of RAM.

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2003, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Axo1ot1:
I can't tell if this guy is retarded or a troll or both...
And your reading comprehension is horrible WOW!
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 03:34 PM

By the time we've outgrown 16GB of RAM, I think the dual-2GHz G5 will be looking a bit slow compared to the current offerings.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

jessejlt
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2003, 05:04 PM

The PPC970 uses 42-bit addressing, which means it's actual physical memory address limit is 2 ^ 42 bytes...which is a whole lot 'O memory. As said above, 8 gigs is Apple's choosing, but not a limitation of the hardware. Fill you rig up with 8 gigs, and if you need more, then you can bitch about it.
jesse ;-)

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2003, 05:33 PM

yeah the actual max to the machine is 8gb for the 1.6 and 16gb for the 1.8 and dual 2.0.

But yeah.. correct point. I believe the max is into terabytes of ram. not too sure... it's just a money thing right now.
Aloha

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2003, 10:49 PM

Oh my... this is offically the worst Power Mac topic I have ever read... I'm not even sure what it's about... all I know is there's something about AMD's Opteron but spelt horribly wrong, and something about the Athlon 64, and something about adressing 500 gigs of something, although I'm not sure if they're talking about hard drive space or RAM... I can only imagin what 500 gigs of RAM would cost hahahhaa

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Oh my... this is offically the worst Power Mac topic I have ever read... I'm not even sure what it's about... all I know is there's something about AMD's Opteron but spelt horribly wrong, and something about the Athlon 64, and something about adressing 500 gigs of something, although I'm not sure if they're talking about hard drive space or RAM... I can only imagin what 500 gigs of RAM would cost hahahhaa
I did say serial ata. as in Hard drive.

CubeBoy
Jul 24, 2003, 01:25 PM

For the record:

32 bit Flat Addressing= 2^32 memory addressing
PAE/PSE Flat Addressing= 2^36 memory addressing (2^32 per thread)
64 bit Flat Addressing= 2^64 memory addressing
Athlon64/Opteron= 2^48 memory addressing
PPC970/G5= 2^42 memory addressing

Not that it matters much, not even the biggest server can hold a exabyte (1 quintillion bytes or 1 billion gigabytes) of current memory.

Barring that, the Athlon64 looks very promising, hyper transport bus with speeds close to that of the G5's bus, integrated memory controller, more general purpose registers. I just hope it can scale.
( Last edited by CubeBoy; Jul 24, 2003 at 05:12 PM. )

ddma
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 01:40 PM

Barring that, the Athlon64 looks very promising, hyper transport bus with speeds close to that of the G5's bus, integrated memory controller, more general purpose registers. I just hope it can scale.
Isn't PowerPC G5 uses hypertranspot too? I wonder what is the front side bus speed of Athlon64. Anyone?

CubeBoy
Jul 24, 2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by ddma:
Isn't PowerPC G5 uses hypertranspot too? I wonder what is the front side bus speed of Athlon64. Anyone?
Their are hypertransport interconnects for I/O but I don't believe the bus itself is a hypertransport since theirs no integrated memory controller. The current bandwidth of the Opteron's hypertransport bus makes it the equivalent of a 800 mhz fsb although I think I've read somewhere that it has much lower latency.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2003, 04:46 PM

haha you said sata, but you didn't even know what the opteron was called, nor could you phrase the rest of your post inteligently so uhh... yeah sorry that amoung your bad grammer I didn't catch that esspecially since you shoulda said Serial ATA not sata.

Also yes 500 gigs should be enough for most people who'll need this system, if they needmore spaecthere's a good chance they should be buying a seperate system, and if they're gona be working with that much info for something that big they should be backing up just encase hence they shoud have or be looking into a RAID solution.

BobK
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2003, 05:01 PM

Based on my years of experience, I think the AMD is know more ram then G4 +1 or the new /old G5 is equal to apple2e and dells with AMD 3. With a ram chip a big AMD Ram chip.
So apple is not tell the truth. Or they are and I don't know it.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 09:02 PM

the reason the g5 doesn't have more hard drive bays is they're going to be really trying to sell the xserve raid pretty soon,
Aloha

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2003, 09:19 PM

haha you said sata, but you didn't even know what the opteron was called, nor could you phrase the rest of your post inteligently so uhh... yeah sorry that amoung your bad grammer I didn't catch that esspecially since you shoulda said Serial ATA not sata.

Also yes 500 gigs should be enough for most people who'll need this system, if they needmore spaecthere's a good chance they should be buying a seperate system, and if they're gona be working with that much info for something that big they should be backing up just encase hence they shoud have or be looking into a RAID solution.
Yeah, you're really one to talk about bad grammar and spelling.

Chris

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2003, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
The new AMD can hold more than 8 gigs of memory. That is insane. What are your thoughs. ALso that link that says the new AMD is better, any one have that link still. It is interesting.
AMD Zone?

They're a bit one-sided when it comes to processors, so it might be their site the one you're talking about.

By the way, I didn't think your post was all that bad. I understood it just fine. Besides, I've seen worse...

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:

Chris
Maybe sarcasm doesn't translate well in Canada?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 25, 2003, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:

Chris
Uhh there's a difference between not always putting a period at the end of every sentence, and not even knowing the name of the processor you're talking about.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 07:06 AM

Uhh there's a difference between not always putting a period at the end of every sentence, and not even knowing the name of the processor you're talking about.
I think he also meant your spelling, the replies were rife with misspellings, it was ironic you came down hard on a person�s grammatical/spelling errors when your reply was chock full them also.

Mike

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2003, 12:09 PM

I personally don't care about periods. Anyone who frequents the lounge knows you're horrible for spelling and grammar, then you put someone else down for it... not good. Not to mention, in the very post where you were mocking him, you also made numerous mistakes.

Chris

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 25, 2003, 12:26 PM

This thread is absolutely stupid.

Lock it.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Simon:
This thread is absolutely stupid.

Lock it.