Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport base station and PCs?

Airport base station and PCs?
aktive
Jul 23, 2003, 10:12 PM

In our house there is a main PC that is running as a gateway type machine. It has the DSL connected to it and it has Intel home wireless installed (not 802.11b, some earlier 1.6Mbps standard - Intel Home RF) so the PC laptops in the house can get wireless. I know, too many PCs, I hate it too, but its beyond my control.

I have a TiBook 667 DVI and I am soon to be receiving an airport card and base station (snow). What I want to know is if I connect the Airport Base station to the gateway PC using an ethernet cable, is it possible for my powerbook to then use the internet?

Is the base station ok being behind a router itself, or does it have to be the main router?

If you understand what I'm on about, first you need to pat yourself on the back, but then could you please let me know if my proposed system for getting my Ti online wirelessly is going to work.

Thank you,
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2003, 10:28 PM

I think you'll need a router in there between the DSL modem and the gateway computer so you can hook up the ABS.

I have a NetGear RT-314 gateway router and my AirPort Base Station hooked up to that. One computer in my burgeoning home network is connected via CAT-5 cable, while all the others (both pc and Mac) are wirelessly connected to my ABS. Not only is it a very reliable system, but the router acts as a firewall and protects all my computers from outside hacking. Although the RT-314 I'm using is discontinued, they have more products like it and many are under $100. Linksys makes some solid networking products as well.

sailin74
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by aktive:
In our house there is a main PC that is running as a gateway type machine. It has the DSL connected to it and it has Intel home wireless installed (not 802.11b, some earlier 1.6Mbps standard - Intel Home RF) so the PC laptops in the house can get wireless. I know, too many PCs, I hate it too, but its beyond my control.

I have a TiBook 667 DVI and I am soon to be receiving an airport card and base station (snow). What I want to know is if I connect the Airport Base station to the gateway PC using an ethernet cable, is it possible for my powerbook to then use the internet?

Is the base station ok being behind a router itself, or does it have to be the main router?

If you understand what I'm on about, first you need to pat yourself on the back, but then could you please let me know if my proposed system for getting my Ti online wirelessly is going to work.

Thank you,
It won't have to be the main router. I'd suggest having DHCP on your gateway machine turned on though. Depends on your needs and wants, but I think the snow base station has an ethernet port of a wired lan inside of the router that runs in conjunction with the wireless side. It might make sense for you to use it as the primary router, but it should work as a sub network just fine as well.

Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules