Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > **** that....

**** that....
teh tenk
Aug 27, 2003, 02:33 PM

Well, my order was supposed to ship today, 8/27. I go to the page after class and they bumped it to 9/11.

Whatever.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 27, 2003, 02:41 PM

Which G5 did you order?

teh tenk  (op)
Aug 27, 2003, 02:46 PM

The 1.8 CTO. I have a feeling it is the CTO. But for everyone who expects their CTO computer to ship out on 8/29...look out.

freaktornado
Aug 27, 2003, 02:54 PM

Sorry to hear that, I know how frustrating that can be...too bad they waited until the last minute to let you know.

I find it interesting that you had a ship date of the 27th as that's the earliest date I've seen. I thought the earliest date was the 29th.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 03:09 PM

I've got a ship dat of 8/29 for a CTO Duelie; and I'm waiting for the worst. Called Apple yesterday to see if I could glean any info as to whether my 8/29 date was 'legit'. The Apple status dude was downright indignant (sic). He said 'There's no reason that I shouldn't expect it to ship by that date.' You had to hear the way he said it. Anyway, such is the life of early adopters.

teh tenk  (op)
Aug 27, 2003, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
I've got a ship dat of 8/29 for a CTO Duelie; and I'm waiting for the worst. Called Apple yesterday to see if I could glean any info as to whether my 8/29 date was 'legit'. The Apple status dude was downright indignant (sic). He said 'There's no reason that I shouldn't expect it to ship by that date.' You had to hear the way he said it. Anyway, such is the life of early adopters.
Good luck to you...

In the end, I will have waited at least 1/4 of a year for this computer that was state of the art 3 months ago.

It is an extremely bitter taste. With all of the orders being shipped, I truly expected it to ship today.

Having a ship date of 8/27 since July and coming back and waiting two, even three more weeks (with ship time) is extremely disappointing.
( Last edited by teh tenk; Aug 27, 2003 at 03:19 PM. )

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 04:02 PM

I know teh tenk. It can feel like counting on Christmas, and then they bump it back a few weeks. I know, that there's a pretty good chance I'll be bumped also. It's gonna urk me. But hey, it's still gonna be awesome when it lands. What REALLY get's me going, is when we're waiting, a week or so from now, someone else will walk into an Apple dealer and pick on up (though not CTO). Such is life in retail.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 06:01 PM

You think you guys are mad over bumped back G5 dates?

I ordered my Dual G4 BTO through my school's bookstore on July 21st...it's now August 27th and Apple *still* says they're backordered. A G"4" machine?! I'm so irritated, however I got nearly $1,500 off retail (plus no sales tax) so I'm biting the bullet and holding out.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

teh tenk  (op)
Aug 27, 2003, 06:11 PM

Yeah...well, I just think it is hilarious that I am paying 2,000 dollars for a computer that was worth 2,000 like, 3 months ago.

But then again, look at the PowerBook.

Silly Apple.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2003, 07:37 PM

Hasn't it always been this way? Apple announces a product well before it is ready to ship, and we complain and grumble and continue to take it in the a**. That's the way it is and always shall be.

At least you'll have a G5 to play with. I bought my dualie G4 about 2 months before the G5 announcement. If I had waited just a little bit longer.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2003, 07:44 PM

**** that **** man **** sorry ***** to hear that *****.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

teh tenk  (op)
Aug 27, 2003, 07:59 PM

Thanks for your worthwhile contribution to this thread, KidRed! You are certainly valuable member of this community with your fantastic insight!

misc
Aug 27, 2003, 10:19 PM

Chill guys. If you want to bicker go to the Lounge, that's what it's there for .

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Mac007
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2003, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by teh tenk:
Well, my order was supposed to ship today, 8/27. I go to the page after class and they bumped it to 9/11.

Whatever.
Interesting coincidence regarding the new date. Not one of the great days in history.
It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness

Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2003, 11:25 PM

My friend ordered Dual 2.0 G5 and said it has been postponed to September 2nd week, too. He's frustrated, too.. Oh well.... it sucks.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 12:42 AM

You were expecting more?

By the way, you're computer wasn't worth $2,000 3 months ago. It wasn't even built 3 months ago. You paid in advance for something that would be worth a certain amount when it becomes available.

Your computer has only started to depreciate over the past couple days since some are getting theres.

Don't order in advance, if you want your computer right away. You're just complaining.

suprz
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2003, 07:36 AM

i'm not trying to start a war, but unless you guys are brand new to apple, you already know they do this EVERY SINGLE TIME a new piece of hardware is offered. It may be cool to tell everyone that you ordered a new G5 right after the keynote speech, but it cant be cool for you, when everyone is still asking if it was delivered 3 months down the road. I would think it just makes more sense to understand that apple promises it'll ship on a certain date, and you just understand it wont ship on time. It would drive me nuts and i would probably cancel my order until i was sure i would get one on the date promised. They arent limited editions, so why not keep your money an extra 3 months let it accumulate a little interest and then buy one when they are in stock and are shipping
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

teh tenk  (op)
Aug 28, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:

Don't order in advance, if you want your computer right away. You're just complaining.
Of course I'm complaining.

Listen, I'm over it now. I don't really care, and I am willing to wait two extra weeks. But you gotta understand that I was disappointed yesterday. Wouldn't you be?

"Yes, but I wouldn't go writing a thread about it."

KidRed
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by teh tenk:
Thanks for your worthwhile contribution to this thread, KidRed! You are certainly valuable member of this community with your fantastic insight!
You're very welcome. I love to throw my sense of humor around
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2003, 10:57 AM

well I guess if you have an incredibly descriptive thread titled "Topic: **** that...." your asking for it, so I wasn't surprised by KidRed, in fact he beat me to the punch

Mike

teh tenk  (op)
Aug 28, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
well I guess if you have an incredibly descriptive thread titled "Topic: **** that...." your asking for it, so I wasn't surprised by KidRed, in fact he beat me to the punch

Mike

misc
Aug 28, 2003, 03:59 PM

Get the thread back on track or I will be forced to lockinate...

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

idyll
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 04:00 PM

Interestingly enough, my estimated shipping date is "On or before 8/29/2003" and it still has not shipped. This is for the 1.6 G5. Wish me luck

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2003, 10:25 PM

At least my Dual 2.0 CTO's estimated ship date hasn't been bumped up from 10/16 (yet)!!


freaktornado
Aug 28, 2003, 10:32 PM

I knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it to be this bad.

My shipping date (Dual 2.0 stock config) went from 8/29/03 to 09/26/2003!

idyll
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 10:33 PM

Oh man, sorry to hear that. When did it change? Just today?

gg1234
Aug 28, 2003, 10:39 PM

I ordered my dual G5 on 6/25 and the ship On or Before date just changed from 8/29/03 to 9/26/03.

Come on Apple....1 day before shipping and you change the date by a month. Geeze.

kevin_stevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2003, 10:46 PM

I got that same date change about a half hour ago, but I checked again and it's back to 8/29 (federal order placed day of keynote).

This may actually be a good sign; *something's* going on. For those who ordered the PB17, it was just like this: there was little or no notice until the day of shipment, then everyone's changed almost at once.

KeS

freaktornado
Aug 28, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
Oh man, sorry to hear that. When did it change? Just today?
Yep, within the last hour. Looks like it's happening to a lot of people. One dude over at A.I. went from 8/29 to 10/17!

idyll
Senior User
Aug 28, 2003, 11:09 PM

Now mine changed from "On or before 08/29/2003" to On or before 09/12/2003. Now I'm thinking about cancelling my order all together and buying something else with that money. And I thought Apple was going to take care of their EDU orders first..

freaktornado
Aug 28, 2003, 11:42 PM

Nevermind

twocoasttb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2003, 12:04 AM

My ship date just changed from 8/29 to 9/26 (for the dual). This is extremely disappointing. It irritates me beyond belief that that Apple didn't send out an email *before* doing this saying "your ship date is going to change, this is why, and we're sorry for the inconvenience". They had to know well ahead of time that these orders were going to be shipped late. Am I surprised my order is going to ship late? No. But I would have expected better treatment.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 12:44 AM

This isn't new guys...this *same* thing happened to tons of us awhile back w/ our 17" PBs.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

freaktornado
Aug 29, 2003, 01:17 AM

This isn't new guys...this *same* thing happened to tons of us awhile back w/ our 17" PBs.
And was this before or after the major delays on those machines? I'm curious...

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2003, 01:38 AM

As someone who ordered a dual G5 right after the WWDC announcement, and had my 8/29 ship date shoved back to 9/26...

I feel your pain.

The idea of showing up at 1 Infinite Loop with torches and pitchforks is fairly appealing... except that it wouldn't get us our systems any sooner.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by freaktornado:
And was this before or after the major delays on those machines? I'm curious...
I'm not quite sure I understand your question...it *was* the delay that caused it in the first place. People that ordered on Keynote day received a On or Before Date of *exactly* 10 weeks away as it showed a 7-10 week wait on Apple's website. On that very day of the 10th week, tons of people had their dates shoved back. Of course, everyone that placed orders after the Keynote gradually saw their dates pushed back as well. However, after this initial rush of dates getting moved and people getting angry, machines started to ship BEFORE their new On or Before Date...mine shipped like 9 days earlier than the 2nd On or Before date.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jamaica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2003, 01:50 AM

My Dual 2.0 ship date of 8/29/2003 just became 9/26/2003.

This blows!!!!

macpow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2003, 02:28 AM

Same s**t... Dual 2.0Ghz (ordered on 6/23) moved from 8/29 to 9/26.. and one day after Tod Benjamin, PM G5 Product Manager stated on "Your Mac Life" that dual 2.0 G5's WILL ship by end of August and there WILL be equal distribution among all purchase channels. Although I suspected this would happen, somehow i was hoping that Apple would honor their committment. Silly me.
12" Powerbook G4/1.33 GHz/60GB HD,Power Mac G5-Dual 2.0 GHz/2GB RAM/250GB HD (2), TiPowerbook-500MHz/512MB RAM/48GB HD, PowerMac 8500-120MHz/128MB RAM/2GB HD, Mac II-16MHz/2MB RAM/50MB HD, Fat Mac- 8MHz/512K RAM/floppy

marka29
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2003, 07:45 AM

My 1.6 CTO order was just moved from 9/2 to 9/12.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2003, 08:04 AM

Yep, me too; moved from 8/9 to 9/26. It was handled poorly. I want to give apple the benefit of the doubt, but I'm having a hard time imagining a reason why why the shipping date change come at the last bitter minute, with not advance email, etc. Stuff happens in manufacturing/shipping, but generally not without any warning.

idyll
Senior User
Aug 29, 2003, 02:08 PM

Great.. now mine got pushed back even further - to "On or before 09/15/2003"

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2003, 06:46 PM

This kind of crap has given Apple a black eye before and yet BOHICA. You'd think the folks in Cupertino would get a clue, huh? Fscktards. Once again it's the technology we love by the company we hate.

And for clarification:

Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

snct
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by suprz:
i'm not trying to start a war, but unless you guys are brand new to apple, you already know they do this EVERY SINGLE TIME a new piece of hardware is offered. It may be cool to tell everyone that you ordered a new G5 right after the keynote speech, but it cant be cool for you, when everyone is still asking if it was delivered 3 months down the road. I would think it just makes more sense to understand that apple promises it'll ship on a certain date, and you just understand it wont ship on time. It would drive me nuts and i would probably cancel my order until i was sure i would get one on the date promised. They arent limited editions, so why not keep your money an extra 3 months let it accumulate a little interest and then buy one when they are in stock and are shipping
I agree, and it's what I did when I bought my FP iMac. I took a few hours drive down to the McLean, VA Apple store from Reading, PA (after calling the store first to confirm stock). Got my machine while others were still waiting for their advanced orders. Besides, it was one of the most pleasant buying experiences I'd ever encountered. Gotta love those Apple Stores . They even paid for my gas (a crisp $20 bill for filling out a survey).

Of course; I'd understand if you're buying via a student discount, or if you live more than a few hours drive from the nearest Apple Store...
--Steve

Cipher13
Aug 30, 2003, 04:59 AM

Wow, shock horror.

No way would I ever have thought that the delivery dates would be pushed back.

Not by Apple, of all companies.

You should all be aware of the fact that this happens every time, by now.

re-actor II
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2003, 05:42 AM

Of course, when there's a problem, there's a problem, just don't tell me noone saw it coming, unless this 'last-minute-push-back' indicates a problem at the assembling-stage (or elsewhere at the end of the production-line) of these systems.

Otherwise I'd like to think that Apple would be so descent to let purchasers know if their delivery-schedule wasn't manageable.
At least I'd expect Apple to not deliberately withhold such info.
(doing so would indeed be misleading, as people order their stuff trusting on the stated dates (now shipping /shipping on or before X), altough many of you seem to accept that situation, even defending it )

Forum Links
Forum Rules