Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Non-Edu dual 2.0 G5s shipping.

Non-Edu dual 2.0 G5s shipping.
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 16, 2003, 12:08 AM

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...1&m=2750904585

Shipped the 15th, expected on the 17th.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2003, 12:22 AM

Sexy!

Don't you wish we were both getting one?

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Sep 16, 2003, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Sexy!

Don't you wish we were both getting one?
Yeah, but one thing... I was in the store again today getting some other stuff and was listening to the G5 1.6. As quiet as the G5 is (ie. very quiet), both my home PC and my HP at work are quieter, and I think it has to do with the fan types.

I wonder how easy it would be to swap out the fans for quieter ones. I'd pay an extra $50 for that, since the G5 would go next to a bed.

BTW, the stoopid store had only 256 MB in thing. Open a couple of apps and the thing ran like cr@p. In the other store I was in there was 1.5 GB and it was much nicer.

HodyOne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Yeah, but one thing... I was in the store again today getting some other stuff and was listening to the G5 1.6. As quiet as the G5 is (ie. very quiet), both my home PC and my HP at work are quieter, and I think it has to do with the fan types.

I wonder how easy it would be to swap out the fans for quieter ones. I'd pay an extra $50 for that, since the G5 would go next to a bed.

BTW, the stoopid store had only 256 MB in thing. Open a couple of apps and the thing ran like cr@p. In the other store I was in there was 1.5 GB and it was much nicer.
Even if the fan's are quiet, I'm afraid it will be extremely annoying to have the fans revving up whenever you're actually doing anything.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by HodyOne:
Even if the fan's are quiet, I'm afraid it will be extremely annoying to have the fans revving up whenever you're actually doing anything.
My PC is near silent even at 100% CPU load. But that's because I spend $$ getting ultra quiet fans, and it probably wouldn't be suitable for something like a P4 3.0. However, it'd be fine for a single G5 1.6 or something.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 03:11 PM

Well, I can confirm that the non-edu dual G5's are shipping... because mine's here. When it arrived, the FedEx guy was clearly wistful - "A G5, eh? You'll be having a nice day..."

It arrived less than an hour ago, and all I've done is boot it, register it and do an iTunes radio stream to get a sense of what the visualizer performance is like. At large full screen, it hit 80fps. It was beautiful. :'}

I'm now in the lengthy process of transferring all my data from my trusty but pokey 450Mhz AGP G4 (single processor). So, yeah, this will be a revolution for me. Anyways, while waiting for several 10's of Gigs to transfer, I can jot a note.

I can report more, if anyone cares, after I actually get my apps loaded and can evaluate the responsiveness of my bread-and-butter tools: Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, Painter, Strata StudioPro.

But already I can say: Firewire Target Disk mode is noisy as hell. Especially when contrasted with the quiet I was experience when it was booted into OS X.

Some folks at SpyMac conjectured that these delayed dual G5 units might be shipping with wireless keyboards and mice. No dice. I didn't order Bluetooth and would have been shocked if all of that had been rolled in.

Upon removing the system from the box, I noticed that my hands were covered in black ink from it - I felt compelled to wash up before unwrapping the white, white keyboard.

The unit is built like a brick sh;thouse. In fact, I think I may have strained my back lifting it to my desk. Sitting next to my old G5, it looks like Gort standing alongside Carpenter in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.

The length of the keyboard cable is a real issue - it reaches around to the back of the computer and that's about it. It would have killed Apple to add another 3'? I don't want to plug the damn thing into the front of the computer, but I also don't want to be that restricted in my relative placement of computer and keyboard. (yeah, yeah... I just got a dual G5 and I'm bitchin' about cable length?) The little things count: I guess Apple is trying to increase demand for those wireless keyboards, eh?

More later...

SF_VR6
Sep 16, 2003, 03:17 PM

Originally posted by eggman:
Well, I can confirm that the non-edu dual G5's are shipping... because mine's here. When it arrived, the FedEx guy was clearly wistful - "A G5, eh? You'll be having a nice day..."

It arrived less than an hour ago, and all I've done is boot it, register it and do an iTunes radio stream to get a sense of what the visualizer performance is like. At large full screen, it hit 80fps. It was beautiful. :'}

I'm now in the lengthy process of transferring all my data from my trusty but pokey 450Mhz AGP G4 (single processor). So, yeah, this will be a revolution for me. Anyways, while waiting for several 10's of Gigs to transfer, I can jot a note.

I can report more, if anyone cares, after I actually get my apps loaded and can evaluate the responsiveness of my bread-and-butter tools: Photoshop 7, Dreamweaver MX, Flash MX, Painter, Strata StudioPro.

But already I can say: Firewire Target Disk mode is noisy as hell. Especially when contrasted with the quiet I was experience when it was booted into OS X.

Some folks at SpyMac conjectured that these delayed dual G5 units might be shipping with wireless keyboards and mice. No dice. I didn't order Bluetooth and would have been shocked if all of that had been rolled in.

Upon removing the system from the box, I noticed that my hands were covered in black ink from it - I felt compelled to wash up before unwrapping the white, white keyboard.

The unit is built like a brick sh;thouse. In fact, I think I may have strained my back lifting it to my desk. Sitting next to my old G5, it looks like Gort standing alongside Carpenter in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.

The length of the keyboard cable is a real issue - it reaches around to the back of the computer and that's about it. It would have killed Apple to add another 3'? I don't want to plug the damn thing into the front of the computer, but I also don't want to be that restricted in my relative placement of computer and keyboard. (yeah, yeah... I just got a dual G5 and I'm bitchin' about cable length?) The little things count: I guess Apple is trying to increase demand for those wireless keyboards, eh?

More later...
just give us a pic of the innards to show the dual procs. thanks

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 03:21 PM

Yea, please do keep us informed eggman. I ordered on June 26th, CTO, and there's been no change in my order status. I suspect we'll see the stock duals move this week, with the CTO's moving end of the week, beginning of next.

Also, I did call Apple to see if I could take advantage of the Keynote promotion; and I could and did. Wasn't ready to spend 99, but 49... From what I understand, as long as your order is still open, you can take advantage of qualifying promotions. FWIW.

freaktornado
Sep 16, 2003, 03:36 PM

It's getting exciting. When did you order Eggman? I'm keenly watching order dates now, since I'm near the back of the first group (the group that got the 9/22 ship date) as I ordered on July 10th.

I've seen one person say that their order from June 29 shipped. that's the latest date I've seen. I'm expecting/hoping mine will ship at the end of this week...or maybe right on schedule on Monday.

twocoasttb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 16, 2003, 03:41 PM

The waiting (for my stock dual G5) got a bit harder today when the FedEx guy delivered my 20" Apple Cinema Display. I sure hope they deliver the G5 on time (scheduled for 9/22).

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by SF_VR6:
just give us a pic of the innards to show the dual procs. thanks
Oh ye of little faith.

Behold!

And the shipping box:

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by freaktornado:
It's getting exciting. When did you order Eggman?
Order Date
06/25/2003
09:40 AM PST

osxisfun
Sep 16, 2003, 04:49 PM

what's it sound like compared to your other mac.
?

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 05:20 PM

An obvious PhotoShop Job That's just too pretty to be real.
Just kiddin' ya. Contrats and good luck. I can't wait to get my CTO dual w/9800 and BT. Enjoy your new dualie!

-Jerry C.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 05:26 PM

Looks like we ordered basically the same box Hydra. I tell ya, It's going to great to finally be using the G5.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
what's it sound like compared to your other mac.
?
Well, right now it sounds like a leaf blower... but that's Firewire Target Disk Mode... so all the fans are going full throttle. I'm hoping this will be a condition that only users in Phoenix would see in August when the air conditioning is on the fritz.

When the system was running OS X - for that brief shining half hour before I started hours of file transfers (I'm about 2/3s done, I figure) it was very, very quiet. ...too quiet...

I could barely hear it next to my G4, which admittedly has been making a lot of noise lately - I think the old girl's power supply fan is on its way out. Now that it's going out to pasture, I'll replace that fan and then I'll stripe its drives and use it as a file server and prototyping web server.

A few other random notes: all the software (OS reinstall, diagnostics, etc) comes on one DVD, which threw me - I have always seen OS X come on 2 CDs... (slapping forehead 'Doh! A DVD!'), and it also comes with a blank 48x CD-R and a blank 4x DVD-R disc.

Cables provided are minimal: there's a power cable, a phone/modem cable (like we really need another one of those) and the ADC/VGA monitor converter. And there's mouse, keyboard... that's about it. Oh, yes, that little antenna thingie for Airport, too.

And the "Joy of Tech" was wrong. There are way more than "4000 holes on PowerMac G5". There are easily >5000 just on the front, doing a quick estimate. (OCD can be fun!) I'm sure someone, somewhere on the web has posted the full count.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2003, 05:55 PM

A few other random notes: all the software (OS reinstall, diagnostics, etc) comes on one DVD, which threw me - I have always seen OS X come on 2 CDs... (slapping forehead 'Doh! A DVD!')
A good reason to a have a SuperDrive.

The first thing you should do is make a backup of the software restore DVD, or else this will happen.

osxisfun
Sep 16, 2003, 05:58 PM

it was very, very quiet. ...too quiet...

You can never be too thin, too rich, to quiet

thanks

SF_VR6
Sep 16, 2003, 06:09 PM

You are up in Santa Rosa,, about an hour away from me. I suspect the Bay Area will soon be drenched with dual G5s everywhere you go.

That could mean mine will be here anyday now too!

I placed my order last weekend at a local CompUSA so technically I have been waiting for less than a week.

freaktornado
Sep 16, 2003, 06:18 PM

Damn that machine is photogenic! Nice...

I'm in the Bay Area too, did your G5 ship from Sacramento?

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
Looks like we ordered basically the same box Hydra. I tell ya, It's going to great to finally be using the G5.
I get the feeling from reading posts all over the place that the 9800 and BT options were very popular. I don't even have a BT phone as of yet (still happy with my Moto T720's iSyncing through a USB cable) but for $50 I said what the hell. Especially considering it can't easily be installed after the fact. I know CTO's usually take a bit longer but I hope the CTO's don't get pushed back too far.

-Jerry C.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by freaktornado:
Damn that machine is photogenic! Nice...

I'm in the Bay Area too, did your G5 ship from Sacramento?
The box is handsome, and certainly a presence to be reckoned with.

These machines are really not for the faint of heart. It is as if they are saying "I spit on you puny plastic Wintel boxes! I take up a lot of space, but I'm worth it! I'll suck all the air right out of this room!"

And, yes it shipped from Rancho Cordova.

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 06:44 PM

...but does nobody on these forums spend any of their money on decent furniture??? seeing all these G5's on crappy fake dark wood computer workstation all-in-ones... its like seeing someone step out of a rolls dressed in old navy kahkis and a dirty t-shirt

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2003, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by freeandunmuzzled:
...but does nobody on these forums spend any of their money on decent furniture??? seeing all these G5's on crappy fake dark wood computer workstation all-in-ones... its like seeing someone step out of a rolls dressed in old navy kahkis and a dirty t-shirt
If I spent my money on furniture, I wouldn't be able to afford a G5!

It's all a matter of priorities...

Let's see, I have a disposable $1000 - I can upgrade to MX Studio 2004, Photoshop 8 and get a few sticks of RAM. Or I can get that lovely sofa? Hmmmm..

If you want to call in the "Queer Eye" guys to make-over my office, I'm game, though. I'll put up with 5 'artistes' making fun of my lack of 'couture' for all that free decorating!

...except they'd probably want to cut my hair. ::shudder::

And don't I get any credit for my hardwood floor??!!

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 07:48 PM

There is a fat $3500 pending charge on my Credit card as of tonight. This is the first time in 3 months after periodic checking that I have seen a pending charge (It has to be Apple as I have no other big ticket items on my card). Its kinda sad that I'm so excited to see $3500 fly out of my wallet but I am!!! Hopefully all the CTO's are shipping real soon!

-Jerry C.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2003, 09:31 PM

Man, that's awesome! After reading your post, I checked my amx; so sign of a charge. Gotta be soon now. I need set my sights on next Monday, that way, if it comes before, It's all good. If not, I'm not too geeked up.

freaktornado
Sep 16, 2003, 09:51 PM

Hey, can I politely ask a favor? If you're posting about your Dual G5 order, please mention the order date, as it helps those of us back in the line (July 10 here) sense how fast things are moving. Cool?

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 16, 2003, 10:06 PM

No problem. My bad, I should have stated it from the beginning. I ordered on 6/26 at 12:02 AM ( I was up late as usual and missed being 6/25 by 2 minutes). I was on the fence about getting twin 250GB HD's but decided against it. I have a dual CTO w/ 9800 and BT, no extra RAM and standard HD. I specified priority overnight at the time - funny thing I don't think you can get priority now.

When I called after the 8/29 dates slipped I convinced them to take $125 off and after taxes and shipping it comes to around $3501. Like I said above I have never had a pre-charge on the card up until now so I'm hoping it means it is close to shipping. The online status shows no change however. A little more extraneous info than you may have wanted but that is the history of the order.

-Jerry C.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
My PC is near silent even at 100% CPU load. But that's because I spend $$ getting ultra quiet fans, and it probably wouldn't be suitable for something like a P4 3.0. However, it'd be fine for a single G5 1.6 or something.
I played with a 1.6 at CompUSA and ripped a CD on it using iTunes into AAC. The machine didn't get any louder.

I don't imagine that the fans will rev up unless your office is hot or the ventilation around the machine is poor. My office stays around 65-75 degrees, so I doubt it will be an issue for me.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2003, 10:58 PM

More later...
USB extension cable, perhaps?
weird wabbit

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2003, 11:15 PM

Does anyone think Apple will bump up any orders (assuming how fast they're able to produce these machines)?

I'm assuming that overall the demand is still fairly high. If they could bump the wait down to 2 weeks from 3-5, that would be great.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
I played with a 1.6 at CompUSA and ripped a CD on it using iTunes into AAC. The machine didn't get any louder.

I don't imagine that the fans will rev up unless your office is hot or the ventilation around the machine is poor. My office stays around 65-75 degrees, so I doubt it will be an issue for me.
I was actually surprised to find that the fans do noticeably rev as the processor gets utilized! I was playing with Painter this evening because it is an app where there's a tangible 'feel' that is more or less responsive, based on the complexity of the brushes and the power of the hardware.

So I'd be painting away and the processor utilization in CPU monitor increases... and the fans rev up (not *too* loud... but noticeable). I'd stop painting, and in a few seconds it's quiet again.

And it was a cool evening in Santa Rosa tonight...

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 09:40 AM

I was actually surprised to find that the fans do noticeably rev as the processor gets utilized!
Very interesting. What about sustained usage? Something like Quake 3 timedemo run 3 or 4 times in a row? Really push it, and see what happens.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2003, 10:41 AM

It looks like Gort standing alongside Carpenter in 'The Day the Earth Stood Still'.
That is the single most brilliant analogy I have ever read on MacNN.

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 12:20 PM

I was actually surprised to find that the fans do noticeably rev as the processor gets utilized!
Does the energy saving pref pane change this behavior? I was wondering if the computer is set to automatically adjust the speed if the fans will kick in higher as opposed to having the setting at High Performance and the fans would be already running higher.

-Jerry C.

PixelPete17
Sep 17, 2003, 01:34 PM

Hey Eggman,

First, thanks for your posts to this board.. , your news was good news to say the least! Y

You and I are using almost exactly the same apps, and since you've got your dualie, could you do me/this board a small favor?

In Painter 8, could you make a 50MB file and a 100MB file and tell me whats the largest cloner brush you can run on each file and still get real time (or darn close to real time) paint stroking? I know the cloners vary, but could you just use two or three (or whatever you're comforatble with), and let me know the results? Since Painter isn't optimized for the G5, I'm really curious how well it performs.

I've demoed Painter 8 and love it, but it runs too slow and even crashes alot on my Ti667 DVI (using OS 9 mostly). My Athlon 2100+ though is so much smoother its not funny. (insert small tantrum here)

Anyway, any and all input you could give me on Dualie performance in Painter 8 would be REALLY appreciated, as I'm trying to figure out if I need the Dualie for sure, or if I can get by with one of the single processor units (I'm trying to buy new computer gear, camera gear, and save for a house, so all these expenditures I'm trying to handle with the most wisdom possible. )

Heck, I may just upgrade my PC to 2GB RAM and overclock the CPU to give myself some computer muscle for working on large file PS and Painter images, but I'd really love to keep all my pro work on my macs. (I'm a professional photographer and graphic designer) I really want to upgrade though, but Painter is going to become a key app for some of my personal work and a little commercial work too...so the info is really valuable to me.

Appreciate any help you can give...

Pixel Pete

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
USB extension cable, perhaps?
Ooops... *big* ooops. I had used a pre-existing power cable to set up my G5, and had overlooked the fact that nestled amongst its coils was a USB extension cable.

Therefore, my one little gripe about this system was actually incorrect. And there's precisely 3' of extra cable.

So I'm an even happier guy!

BTW, today's the first day that I'm going to actually be trying to do real work on this system, so I'll have some sense of it by the end of the day... but so far it seems like a starship.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by PixelPete17:
In Painter 8, could you make a 50MB file and a 100MB file and tell me whats the largest cloner brush you can run on each file and still get real time (or darn close to real time) paint stroking? I know the cloners vary, but could you just use two or three (or whatever you're comforatble with), and let me know the results? Since Painter isn't optimized for the G5, I'm really curious how well it performs.
I'll try this in the evening after I've satisfied the needs of my clients... and can shut down my other apps for a fairer test. (Not that my apps take long to open anymore!)

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 02:57 PM

BTW, some of you will be interested to know that the 512Mb of standard memory installed on my system was CL=3.

Seems like there's no point to paying extra to get lower latency memory if you'll be adding to Apple's pre-installed chips.

bri-guy
Sep 17, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:
it was very, very quiet. ...too quiet...

You can never be too thin, too rich, to quiet

thanks
I'm going to have to disagree. I definitely prefer my current 6'1" 185 pound self to my 6'1" 145 pound college freshman-era self.

Originally posted by freeandunmuzzled:
I happen to like my computer desk, even though I got it on clearance from IKEA:
http://homepage.mac.com/brian_b/DeskArea.jpg

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2003, 03:08 PM

Hey, nice picture bri-guy, but you can't see the desk! :-)

bri-guy
Sep 17, 2003, 03:13 PM

Sure you can. It's just that top piece of wood and 4 legs. Perhaps I shouldn't have framed the picture to include the picture.

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 04:28 PM

Here's a fun stat:

Dual 2Gh G5 with 1Gb memory running Marine Aquarium 2.0.4 screen-saver at 1280x1024, all 7 fish displayed, maximum shimmer, column of bubbles on (in other words, fully burdened):

Consistently between 200 and 205 fps.

Whoa.

osxisfun
Sep 17, 2003, 04:36 PM

whoa. i own aquarium and can't wait to finish my current project so i will have time to buy the dual...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2003, 05:46 PM

Here's a fun stat:

Dual 2Gh G5 with 1Gb memory running Marine Aquarium 2.0.4 screen-saver at 1280x1024, all 7 fish displayed, maximum shimmer, column of bubbles on (in other words, fully burdened):

Consistently between 200 and 205 fps.

Whoa.
Pretty good.

Try PSBench with the G5 plug-in (with Energy Saver set to Highest Performance, not Automatic). I believe it works with the downloadable Photoshop 7 trial but I'm not 100% sure.

We don't have a dual 2.0 score yet, but judging by the single 1.8 benchmarks, the dual 2.0 could very well be the fastest computer ever tested. But we don't have the test yet.

If you post in the thread I linked, they'll calculate a normalized score for you based on your numbers.. The dual 2.0 has a good chance at breaking 500, which would be a first.

Times of a G5 1.8:
Code:
1 90 Degree Rotate .4 .8 .3 2 9 Degree Rotate 2.4 2.2 2.2 3 .9 Degree Rotate 2.1 2.1 2.1 4 1 Gaussian .5 .5 .5 5 3.7 Gaussian 1.9 1.9 1.9 6 87 Gaussian 2.8 2.8 2.8 7 1 pix USM .8 .9 .9 8 3.7 pix USM 2.4 2.4 2.3 9 10 pix USM 2.9 2.9 2.9 10 Despeckle .5 .5 .6 11 RGB-CMYK 3.6 3.5 3.5 12 60% Reduction .6 .5 .5 13 LensFlare 5.5 5.5 5.4 14 Color Halftone 3.6 3.6 3.5 15 NTSC Color 3.6 3.6 3.6 16 Accent Edge 14.0 14.0 13.9 17 Pointilize 21.4 21.4 21.4 18 Watercolor 30.8 30.8 30.8 19 Polarize Coordinates 4.2 4.2 4.2 20 Radial Blur 47.4 47.3 47.3 21 Lighting 2.8 2.8 2.8
Normalized scores:
Code:
2x 3060 Xeon (OC'd 2400) 488 2x 2930 Xeon (OC'd 2400) 471 3200 P4 (800MHz) 427 3000 P4 (800MHz) 405 3495 P4 (OC'd 3.06) 386 3060 P4 XP Pro (533 FSB) 358 HT 2x 2200 Xeon PC 800 RDRAM CPQ Evo 357 HT 2x 1500 G4 (OC'd 1420) 348 2x 1333 G4 DDR OS9.2 (oc'd 1.25) 346 1800 G5 OSX 10.2.7w/G5plugin 344 (energy settings highest perf) 2x 1420 G4 OSX 10.2.4 338 2x 2400+Athlon MP 338 2x 1250 G4 OS 9.2.2j 337 3200+Athlon XP 332 1800 Opteron(dual-chnlDDR 333) 332 2x 1333 G4 DDR OSX10.2.2(oc 1.25) 326 1800 OPteron(singl-chnlDDR333) 320 3000+Athlon XP 318

k2director
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 06:12 PM

Reading all these G5 dual reports is like getting a lapdance, and not being able to touch.
This wait is killing me! My ship date is 9/23, but the hours seem to be crawling by (and that's assuming an accurate ship date from Apple, which may be iffy).

Leonis
Senior User
Sep 17, 2003, 06:46 PM

Oh ye of little faith.

Behold!

Nice Photoshop work

Anyway....do you considering getting a Cinema Display....having a beige monitor sitting beside the tower seems kind of......eh....awful
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 07:02 PM

Pretty good.

Try PSBench with the G5 plug-in (with Energy Saver set to Highest Performance, not Automatic). I believe it works with the downloadable Photoshop 7 trial but I'm not 100% sure.

We don't have a dual 2.0 score yet, but judging by the single 1.8 benchmarks, the dual 2.0 could very well be the fastest computer ever tested. But we don't have the test yet.
OK, here's my results:

Code:
Apple PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 GHz G5 1 GB DRAM � 4*256 MB PC3200 CL=3 1 160 GB Serial ATA hard disk ATI Radeon 9600 Pro OS X 10.2.7 (G5) Photoshop 7.0.1 (w/ G5 Update installed) Energy Savings Settings: Highest Performance 1 90 Degree Rotate .3 .3 .3 2 9 Degree Rotate 1.3 1.3 1.3 3 .9 Degree Rotate 1.2 1.2 1.2 4 1 Gaussian .3 .4 .3 5 3.7 Gaussian 1.2 1.2 1.2 6 87 Gaussian 1.8 1.8 1.7 7 1 pix USM .5 .5 .5 8 3.7 pix USM 1.4 1.4 1.4 9 10 pix USM 1.7 1.6 1.6 10 Despeckle .4 .4 .4 11 RGB-CMYK 1.7 1.7 1.7 12 60% Reduction .4 .4 .4 13 LensFlare 3.4 3.3 3.3 14 Color Halftone 2.8 2.8 2.8 15 NTSC Color 3.2 3.2 3.2 16 Accent Edge 12.1 12.1 12.2 17 Pointilize 10.7 10.7 10.7 18 Watercolor 26.8 26.7 26.7 19 Polarize Coordinates 2.3 2.2 2.2 20 Radial Blur 20.4 20.4 20.3 21 Lighting 1.7 1.6 1.6

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2003, 07:15 PM

Wow, that was quick. And that looks awesome. 94.6 seconds. It looks like the dual 2.0 may take the performance crown away from the dual Xeon 3.06, but I don't have the normalization calculator on hand. I'm sure someone will do the calculation in the next little while.

I've posted a thread at Ars here.

Thanks eggman. (I know it's a tedious test. )

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2003, 07:28 PM

Wow, that was quick. And that looks awesome. 94.6 seconds. It looks like the dual 2.0 may take the performance crown away from the dual Xeon 3.06, but I don't have the normalization calculator on hand. I'm sure someone will do the calculation in the next little while.

I've posted a thread at Ars here.

Thanks eggman. (I know it's a tedious test. )
Eug,

While you were reposting my scores there, I was posting them as well, botching the formatting (I thought I knew what "Pure HTML" meant...) revealing myself to the Ars folks for the newbie - to *that* board - that I am.

I was, of course, also curious to find out how the Dual G5 stacks up... and it wasn't *too* tedious to perform. The trick was catching the time data appearing in the window before the screen refresh value got added in. Sometimes it just was concurrent...

Pretty soon Adobe is going to have to increase the resolution of their timer output to keep up with the hardware!

Forum Links
Forum Rules