Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > A second G5 delay coming?

A second G5 delay coming?
freaktornado
Sep 19, 2003, 02:50 PM

In the continuing saga of 'Gotta have my Photoshop monster NOW!!!' - I'm curious how many people who have a 9/22 or 9/26 ship date have not received ship confirmation.

So far every shipping report (except one over at A.I.) is from June. It's looking like there might be a second delay come Monday (9/22) since it seems unlikely Apple will be able to fill all these orders.

I certainly hope I'm wrong, but maybe a quick post by those of you still waiting will provide some information about how many are still in line.

Config: Standard Dual G5
Ordered: July 10th
Est ship: 9/22

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2003, 03:05 PM

Why do you say that, perhaps I'm missing something, but if you have an est. ship date of 9/22 and its currently the 09/19 then no you wouldn't get your g5 yet right?. Why would that then be construed as a delay coming (of course a delay might still occur but that seems unrelated to receiving your g5 before the est ship date).

Mike

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 03:06 PM

hey freaktornado. I was starting to think the same thing. I called Apple today, and while my web status still shows open, He said that my machine was built (CTO 9800/BT/Dual), and should ship today or Monday. My order date was 6/24. Honestly, I suspect that SOME outstanding orders with a current ship date of 9/22 will slip. Don't know exact numbers of backordered Duals, but I really think that if the dam was opening up, we'd be hearing about more being delivered. I hope for myself and all others waiting that I'm wrong.

freaktornado  (op)
Sep 19, 2003, 03:10 PM

Yes, I agree with you, Maflynn. That's why I started this thread to try and get a measure of how many people that have a 9/22 date are still waiting.

Apple has a policy of first in-first out, earlier orders ship first, which makes sense. So far it seems they have mostly shipped orders placed june 23rd to June 26th, with one or two reports of june 29th (and one July).

So it would appear as if they would have to churn through nearly 2 weeks of orders (or at least 10 days) to get to my order in a matter of 2 days...

I'm not upset, just trying to get a reading.

wbaccus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 03:14 PM

Still waiting on mine. Ordered June 30, Stock Config. Dual 2 Ghz, Educational Institution order.

I have a predicted ship date of 9/23. Called the Education number to see if I could get some more info on it, since some folks say the order status page doesn't reflect whether or not the order is being assembled, but they didn't tell me anything that I couldn't find out from just hitting the web page.

freaktornado  (op)
Sep 19, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
Honestly, I suspect that SOME outstanding orders with a current ship date of 9/22 will slip.
This is exactly the kind of response I'm looking for. You ordered 2 weeks before me, and even though we have the same ship date (9/22), your order hasn't shipped yet. I don't see how they can get through that many orders by Monday.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 03:16 PM

Also Maflynn, Have a ship date of 9/22 is only half of what Apple tracks if you call them re: your order. They'll give you an 'earliest' and 'latest' date: for me they were 9/15 - 9/22. So even if Apple's not tecnically late, if they were able to really meet all the 9/22 commitments that they seem to have made, It'd be a stretch to think they'll get the majority of them out on the last possible date.

Basically, for various reasons (some good and others not so good), we're just really anxious, because hey, we've/I've been waiting almost 3 months.

dli537
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 03:37 PM

I ordered a dual G5(CTO no modem) 19 minutes after the WWDC keynote through APPLE educaction store. I thought I would be one of the first people to get the machine, but apparently not. Haven't got my machine yet and the estimated shipping date is still on or before 09/22/03. I am not very happy about this since most people who got their machines ordered later than I did. It's not very fair and I need this machine desperately for my data analysis.

ourisman
Sep 19, 2003, 03:52 PM

By making a custom order (deleting the modem), you automatically put yourself behind stock machines. Anything other than standard requires special attention.

action
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2003, 04:31 PM

ordered my cto dual a few hours after keynote in june via adc.

added wireless keyboard and mouse.

have an on or before of 9/23.

the wireless keyboard and mouse shipped today.

apple rep advised i have a pending build order for sometime this weekend which he said would put me on schedule and worst case scenerio would be one or two days late.

so it seems i'm on scedule to receive my machine on wed or thurs.

chung

ps. ordered 4 512mb sticks of ram via www.crucial.com for a total of $378. it was less expensive of the two types of ram they had.

at best i was going to save about $60 bucks for generic ram from www.pricewatch.com and i wasn't really sure what the exact specs were on the cheaper generic ram and the customer service was not that great so i spent a little extra for a peace of mind and bought the crucial ram.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by action:
ordered my cto dual a few hours after keynote in june via adc.

added wireless keyboard and mouse.

have an on or before of 9/23.

the wireless keyboard and mouse shipped today.

apple rep advised i have a pending build order for sometime this weekend which he said would put me on schedule and worst case scenerio would be one or two days late.

so it seems i'm on scedule to receive my machine on wed or thurs.

chung

ps. ordered 4 512mb sticks of ram via www.crucial.com for a total of $378. it was less expensive of the two types of ram they had.

at best i was going to save about $60 bucks for generic ram from www.pricewatch.com and i wasn't really sure what the exact specs were on the cheaper generic ram and the customer service was not that great so i spent a little extra for a peace of mind and bought the crucial ram.
It is worth the extra for peace of mind.

I ordered my G5 on 9/4-with a ship of 10/10, or sooner. I thought today; with all the Mac people ahead of my order, that, there probably would be a delay added to mine. No proof just a sinking feeling. I'm patient. I sincerely hope you, who ordered way before me, all get your G5 before I do. You deserve to.

Are they all being assembled state-side? My order is in Sacramento, Ca. And if overseas, they still have to go through Customs. My daughters ALPB 15" is to be shipped direct to her from (Taiwan(?) with 1-3 day delivery. And we all know that could be 5 days, or more.

"You paid twunny tousand dollars fer dat car?? Man, dat's a lotta kahpoosta!"

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2003, 08:21 PM

I ordered on 6/24 at 7:11AM. Est. ship date 9/22. No email saying that it has shipped, but they have put a temp charge on my apple loan account.
Dual 2.0Ghz PM 23" Al Cinema Display
17" 1.5Ghz Al PB
17" iMac

jamaica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2003, 08:38 PM

CTO Dual-G5 ordered 6/29. Estimated ship of 9/22.

Just logged in to Apple Store and I see a tracking number!!!!

:-)

wbaccus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 12:12 AM

Looks like they're shipping in volume this weekend... I hope.

What does this mean? At the top of my order status page, instead of saying Order Status as of #### Partially Shipped (there were multiple items ordered, all non G5 except 1), it now says Shipped. The shipping method has changed to 2 day instead of "Bestway." BUT.. in the itemized listing, my Dual G5 is still listed as OPEN. Though there is no more on or before 9/23. There also is no tracking number.

What exactly does that mean? I'm hoping that it means it's packed and scheduled for pickup... and it just hasn't shipped out the door.

Incidentally, stock config, edu channel 6/30 order.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 02:09 AM

*yawn* one of many many G5 orders: ordered keynote day through my rep. Dual, CTO - more RAM, drives, ATI 9800, BT, etc. EDUcational INSTitution order. Delayed once along with most everyone else's. Project ship date of before 9/23.

If this first one I ordered gets delayed again, guess Apple gave a bold-faced lie when they said "hey, your (consumer) order is delayed because we're shipping to educaiton first!"

What a load of bullshit. grrr.

I wanted these for the start of school. It's almost the end of the first months of school. Thing is, I don't NEEEEED G5s - but I'm sure Apple would not like me to cancel thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equipment. Me and SO many other school are in the same boat - getting the shaft from Apple. And this happens like clockwork with every single new release - education (K-12s at least) get the shaft.

Time for yet another (this would be the third) nasty letter to Apple's Education president (still Cheryl V? =)... heck, the last two times I wrote one, all our orders shipped the next DAY.

And you wonder why they're losing their hold on education...

But maybe they'll pull a miracle and actually ship on or before the 23rd!
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

dli537
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2003, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by ourisman:
By making a custom order (deleting the modem), you automatically put yourself behind stock machines. Anything other than standard requires special attention.
I know this. But, if you read other people's messages, you can see several people are getting their CTO orders. My order date(06/23/2003 12:19 PM PST) is earlier than most of these people. This is very unfair. I really need this machine for my work.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2003, 07:02 AM

On the appleinsider forums there are 2 people that have a shipment confirmation and ordered july 19th and the other even august 21st...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by daydreamer:
On the appleinsider forums there are 2 people that have a shipment confirmation and ordered july 19th and the other even august 21st...
8/21? Really?
I ordered a CTO Dualie (Radeon 9800, Bluetooth) on 8/25 as an Edu customer. Order is still listed as "Open." Perhaps there is hope after all.

I Me Mine
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 09:45 AM

Is this officially a "Fiasco" yet?

If not, it should be.

Ron Goodman
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2003, 10:05 AM

If Apple introduced the G5 and couldn't get anybody to buy one, that would be a fiasco. The demand for the DP G5 has been amazing! Cool your jets--your machine will ship when it ships, as will mine.

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Ron Goodman:
If Apple introduced the G5 and couldn't get anybody to buy one, that would be a fiasco. The demand for the DP G5 has been amazing! Cool your jets--your machine will ship when it ships, as will mine.
Well said.

pcp_ip
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2003, 07:36 PM

I say it's clearly a fiasco

DayLateDon
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 08:19 PM

Hello ...

Educational Institution order of a stock 2x2.0.

Ordered: 6/26.
Estimated shipping date: 9/23 (was 8/22).

Non-educational people are getting theirs shipped. CTO people are getting theirs shipped. My order is still listed as "Open".

With hopes high, but expectations low ...

DayLateDon
( Last edited by DayLateDon; Sep 20, 2003 at 08:56 PM. )

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2003, 08:50 PM

Don - guess we'll see this Tuesday eh? this sucks. =(
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

Forum Links
Forum Rules