Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 bragging.

G5 bragging.
kenty
Sep 23, 2003, 08:10 AM

Why do so many people here feel it necessary to tell the world about the fact they bought a G5 ? I don't mind sharing G5 information, but to just announce "I got a dual G5 with 2GB of RAM !" is tiring. I think part of them merely got a g5 so they could brag about it.
( Last edited by kenty; Sep 23, 2003 at 08:17 AM. )
- K

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2003, 08:41 AM

If I had one, I would!

Seriously though, it is helpful when they offer first impressions, benchmarks, etc for those of us in the market for one.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2003, 09:03 AM

I would say to avoid any topics related to "waiting on G5, getting G5, wait is killing me, etc..." This is a Mac enthusiast site. When Apple produces a new product it's exciting to it's enthusiasts. If you are tired of looking at posts regarding new Apple products and the banter of people interested in having them, I'd suggest surfing elsewhere. It's like saying; "I'm tired of looking at my feet." Well, quit looking at your feet then.

That said, I'm due to receive my dual G5 on September 29th and with the 20" Cinema display sitting here, I'm getting anxious.
ebuddy

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 10:34 AM

If it makes you feel any better kenty, I got my dual G5/9800 this morning, popped in my 4 sticks of fast ram, and the machine only recognizes 1 gig, instead of the 2 in. Bad ram, too agressive timing, who knows. Gotta figure it out, so can't experience the '2 Gig' brag yet

alphaone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2003, 10:53 AM

I can't remember, but I think that OWC said that they had to install their RAM in 1GB pairs when they were upgrading their G5 to 8GB. So basically you put in 1GB start up and shut down, put another one in and so on.

Hope that helps you out.

freaktornado
Sep 23, 2003, 01:39 PM

my G5 is on its way, but I think it's dumb to start a new thread just to announce that you got yours...posting in an existing thread is fine...but if everyone posts a new one when their G5 arrives it will just be a mess.

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by kenty:
Why do so many people here feel it necessary to tell the world about the fact they bought a G5 ? I don't mind sharing G5 information, but to just announce "I got a dual G5 with 2GB of RAM !" is tiring. I think part of them merely got a g5 so they could brag about it.
I only started a couple of G5 topics because I have what I believe is one of the first CTO's delivered with a 9800. Also with the shipping situation of the Dual G5's it helps some people to know they are actually making it into consumers hands. But I agree it will be a mess if everyone starts a topic about getting a G5.

MisterRogers- what kind of RAM? I've been waiting to get more RAM until I found some reports about RAM compatibility. Dare I say that we should start a new and useful topic about G5 RAM compatibility

-Jerry C.

freaktornado
Sep 23, 2003, 03:51 PM

Hydra, I think your post is fine, it's a review...not a "Hey I got my G5!!!11" post

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 03:56 PM

Hey Hydra. I bought 4 sticks of 512 Crucial xms low latency DDR 400 memory. Turns out, one of the four was bad; need to rma. the two pair I put in work just peachy. Not going to do any benchmarks until I have it up to 2 gig of this 2cas, very fast memory. Want to compare my speeds with that of more 'stock' 3 cas ram.

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
Hey Hydra. I bought 4 sticks of 512 Crucial xms low latency DDR 400 memory. Turns out, one of the four was bad; need to rma. the two pair I put in work just peachy. Not going to do any benchmarks until I have it up to 2 gig of this 2cas, very fast memory. Want to compare my speeds with that of more 'stock' 3 cas ram.
Thanks for the response. Crucial's one of the most respected names out there and I'm more inclined to go with them as their prices are not too bad. I didn't see any low cas stuff on their site for the G5 - they only had the cas 3.0 stuff. Where did you get it?

As far as testing goes - You may already know this, if you keep the original Apple spec CAS 3.0 RAM in there all the new faster RAM will run at CAS 3.0 as well ( all RAM in all computers will have to run at the speed of the slowest stick). The question remains to be answered is if the G5 is made to run only at CAS 3.0 at the fastest. The developer docs state that the G5 is capable of USING CAS 2, 2.5,3,4 and 5 but nowhere does it state that it will actually run the RAM at the faster speed. Now, the 4-5 stuff which is really slow could only run at their designated speeds (you can run RAM slower than spec but not higher w/o overclocking it).

You could bench some small things with the original RAM and take it out and then bench the new RAM but if you have only 512MB CAS 3 and 1024MB CAS 2 that may help the CAS 2 just because you have more of it. On a fresh reboot someting like Cinebench may actually not need more than 512MB. Just a thought.

-Jerry C.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2003, 04:29 PM

Yea Hydra, I may do that. I was aware that mixing slower cas pairs with the fast stuff will force all sticks to run slower. I'm doing it because 1 1/2 gig is better than a gig
Not sure either is the G5 will run at 2; sort of assumed that when I read that it would ACCEPT 2, 2.5, 3 - but there is a difference between 'accept' and 'take advantage of'. Maybe I can do some testing tomorrow. Really enjoying this puter though; sure is fast.

SF_VR6
Sep 23, 2003, 04:31 PM

you are absolutely right. Once I get my dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 2GBs of RAM (any day now, woohoo), I will make a conscious effort to be humble and non-chalant about it.

I won't even take silly pictures and post them since everyone knows what it looks like anyways.

cheers.

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 23, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by SF_VR6:
you are absolutely right. Once I get my dual 2.0 Ghz G5 with 2GBs of RAM (any day now, woohoo), I will make a conscious effort to be humble and non-chalant about it.

I won't even take silly pictures and post them since everyone knows what it looks like anyways.

cheers.
I hope your saying that tongue in cheek I really had no intention of posting any pictures but some other waiters requested some so I said what the heck. I would much rather spend my time sitting in front of the G5 than to snap some photos of it. I was a little surprised at the request considering how many HQ photos I've seen in the last few months, but I didn't want to seem rude

-Jerry C.

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 10:05 PM

Can't you afford one?
- SuperM

Apple //e -> Apple IIGS -> Performa 6200 -> B&W G3 350 (400) -> G5 2.0 DP

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by SuperM:
Can't you afford one?
Prick.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
Prick.
Sounds like you can't afford one either.
- SuperM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by rhogue islander:
If I had one, I would!
Yeah, if ya got it, flaunt it.

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:36 AM

What a waste of a perfectly good thread. This thread should not have even started. If you are a true Mac lover, the anticipation of receiving a brand new top of the line Mac would be overwhelming. The fact that others have already received their G5's and I have not does makes me a little envious, but not to the point of whingeing about it. Quite frankly I can't and don't get inspired by Wintel machines. I agree with Osiris - if you've got it FLAUNT IT!!!

I an going to flaunt my G5 at a function for a large Sydney Medical Institution next month, and I do expect people to be curious about it because they use Macs as well.
- SuperM

Magic Genie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:00 AM

150 pics of me opening my new G5 and maxing out the ram to make you laugh or cry.
Come see me and my fast computer at:
http://www.geniesongs.com/personal.html

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Magic Genie:

150 pics of me opening my new G5 and maxing out the ram to make you laugh or cry.
Congrats!! Top stuff!! I just hope you didn't get any of that beautiful flowing hair caught in any of the cooling fans!!!
- SuperM

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by Magic Genie:

I posted a link with a few pictures of me installing a hard-drive in my Dual G5 in another thread. Somehow I don't think 150 pictures of ME would go over so well

-Jerry C

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by SuperM:
Sounds like you can't afford one either.
If you can afford one, it's obvious you haven't been able to for very long. Those of us that are accustomed to having money, are not prone to brag about it on Internet message boards.

You have an issue, perhaps you are trying to overcome a shortcoming in some other part of your life? Failed relationship, small penis, bad breath? Whatever it is, I hope it torments you for a very long time, because you aren't very nice.
( Last edited by chrisutley; Sep 25, 2003 at 05:59 AM. )
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2003, 06:07 AM

hehe I can't afford one now.. but hey... bragging about something you got with patience and effort is fun!

I say enjoy your time in the spotlight, just don't be an @$$ about it like I was and things will be great!
Aloha

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 09:37 AM

Hey Hydra, my G5 Dual box is better then yours! 100+ pics. to follow...

Hydra
Senior User
Sep 25, 2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by MisterRogers:
Hey Hydra, my G5 Dual box is better then yours! 100+ pics. to follow...
What exactly makes yours better? Macs are like children, you shouldn't show favorites and they should be all loved equally Someone with a handle like MisterRogers should know that.

I can't wait for all the bragging when the dual 2.5's and dual 3.0's start shipping.

-Jerry C.

MisterRogers
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2003, 12:08 PM

Can you say 'myboxhaslessscuffsandscrapes?' I know you can! Seriously (well, sort of :-), this is probably the finest computer I've every owned; and I've owned quite a few, being a software developer and all. Should really speed up development of my slick new Cocoa app. XCode is quite a step up, but it was just too slow on my PB17. Compiles/Code Completion fly on my Dual.

SuperM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by chrisutley:
If you can afford one, it's obvious you haven't been able to for very long. Those of us that are accustomed to having money, are not prone to brag about it on Internet message boards.

You have an issue, perhaps you are trying to overcome a shortcoming in some other part of your life? Failed relationship, small penis, bad breath? Whatever it is, I hope it torments you for a very long time, because you aren't very nice.
I have no issues at all. My relationships are great, my penis is no doubt bigger than yours, and I don't have halitosis. Go and join a PC forum somewhere. You're the one that started the name calling...
- SuperM

Forum Links
Forum Rules