Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Printer Sharing in X

Printer Sharing in X
kingturd
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2001, 01:02 AM

If this has been asked before, please post a link to the thread that will answer my questions.

Situation 1: In a room with two computers both running 10.0.4, is it possible to network a USB printer (it's Epson if that matters) so that both Macs can use it? Basically what USB Printer Sharing does in 9.

Situation 2: In a room with a mac running 10.0.4 and a PC running Windows (98 or ME, not NT kernal), is it possible to network a USB printer connected to the mac (Epson again) so that the Windows machine can print to it? I know Dave can do this, but is there a way to do it directly from the OS?

Thanks for any help on either situation.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2001, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by kingturd:
<STRONG>
Situation 1: In a room with two computers both running 10.0.4, is it possible to network a USB printer (it's Epson if that matters) so that both Macs can use it? Basically what USB Printer Sharing does in 9.
</STRONG>
No.
Except the honorable Barry Sharp (where is he these days, anyway?) worked out a hack involving copying a pdf file into the other machine's print spooler... look around in apple's discussion forum for OS X/printing .

<STRONG>
Situation 2: In a room with a mac running 10.0.4 and a PC running Windows (98 or ME, not NT kernal), is it possible to network a USB printer connected to the mac (Epson again) so that the Windows machine can print to it? </STRONG>
No.
OS X Server will presumably do this eventually, but for now supports only Postscript printers.

<STRONG>
I know Dave can do this...</STRONG>
No again! The current "preview" of DAVE for OS X doesn't support printer sharing. The say they're working on it.

Sucks, huh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules