Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod First Day Orders

iPod First Day Orders
michaelb
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 12:49 AM

Now that the day's almost over, I'm interested in how many people here were impressed enough to buy one of the new iPods (U2, color, whichever) virtually unseen on the very first day.

I'll start it off: I placed an order for the iPod Photo 60GB, seen on web pages only, from the other side of the world (Australia), not having read any user reviews or anything.

Anyone else as crazy as I am?!

(Oh, and to the people saying "color iPod what on earth are they good for" - STFU and start your own thread!)

webcookie
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 08:51 AM

I probably would've ordered an iPod Colour if I had the money. But I don't. And I won't get a lot for my 3G 10gb iPod now.
iBook G4: 800mhz, 640mb, 40gb ("Astrid")
iPod: 30gb Photo ("Gordon"), 1gb Shuffle ("Tinker Bell")
For the record: I am female

gkorsgard
Oct 27, 2004, 09:28 AM

I ordered the ipod Photo. But shipping is 1-2 weeks.....maybe it will be shipping with the new 30" displays! haha

drewstevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:10 AM

I ordered mine at 11:08 yesterday and have a tracking number already - perhaps Apple is anticipating delays once the first batch runs out...

Drew

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 10:18 AM

If you listen carefully to Steve's pres. yesterday, he indicated that the photo iPods were shipping yesterday.. any sightings at your local APple store yet?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 01:12 PM

I placed an order for the iPod Photo and just received a notice of shipment for it. I am really excited to get it.

I ordered an U2 iPod for my daughter for Christmas and have a on or before date of Nov 17.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 01:14 PM

I ordered one yesterday and didn't get any shipping info on it yet. Still says "1-2 weeks".

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2004, 01:17 PM

And just as I click "post message", I get my shipping order

Mike

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 01:29 PM

same here, my 60gb went from "on or beofre nov 9th" to shipped sometime last night, though they still havnt offered an est arriva ldate, anyone ever had an ipod ship from shanghai before and have a rough est on how long it took (or any apple product from there)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 01:39 PM

Can't afford one right now, but in a few months I will most likely be ordering a photo iPod.


freaktornado
Oct 27, 2004, 01:40 PM

We should clarify who had engraving and who didn't. Doesn't engraving take extra time?

I ordered a 60GB pPod at 11:20am PST yesterday and it says "on or before 11/9" - but I did get it engraved.

gkorsgard
Oct 27, 2004, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by starman:
And just as I click "post message", I get my shipping order

Mike
Mike, what time did you order yesterday?

69camaro
Oct 27, 2004, 01:51 PM

I'm ordering my 60GIG online tomorrow. Can you say, excited?!

drewstevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 02:02 PM

My 60GB is scheduled to be delivered Nov 3. I did NOT have it engraved since that will not help it sell on eBay next year...

I can't wait to get this thing but $599 is getting scarily close to the price of a new iBook....

freaktornado
Oct 27, 2004, 02:09 PM

Hmm, just got a shipping notice! See my order details a few posts up.

I got 2-day shipping, so we'll see how quickly it arrives, I don't have an estimated date yet.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 02:10 PM

I ordered the U2 iPod about an hour after the event was over. Scheduled for deleivery middle of Nov. I mainly got it for the collector value and the fact that is was different. I like U2 so, to me, it's cool.

I will most likely get teh 40 or 60gb Photo iPod in the spring. I have a large collection of music and quite a bit that isn't even loaded and the 20gb just isn't going to cut it. Probably just use it for backup or something.
- TiBook 867mhz
- Rev. A Dual 2.0ghz PowerMac G5, 3 Gigs Ram, Dual Dell 24" displays.
- Imac G4 20" with 1 Gig of ram

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 02:58 PM

I ordered my 60 gig photo yesterday afternoon. (in fact switched from 40 to 60 after the order was placed.)
My shipping notice does not have a delivery date yet but I requested 2 day. So, I am hoping Friday or Monday.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 03:45 PM

Wish I had the money ...

Looks cool tough, even tough I don't really look at the iPod when its playing, so I don't see the benefit of color screen and so for me, but anyway : Nice move Apple !!!!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 03:56 PM

My name is OAW ... and I'm an Apple gadget junkie.

I bought the original 5 GB iPod the day it was announced. Skipped the 2G model. Purchased the 3G 30 GB model soon after it was released. Skipped the 4G model when it came out even though I preferred the click wheel to the touch sensitive buttons on the 3G. It just wasn't enough to get me to upgrade. I'm certainly glad I chose to wait. Ordered the 40 GB iPod Photo (is this a 5G model?) yesterday evening. I just had to have it! 10 GB more than what I have now plus the color screen and photo capabilities. A worthy upgrade IMO. It's the first time I haven't purchased the "top of the line" iPod ... but since I'm only using about 19 GB on my current iPod and only have about 1 GB in my iPhoto Library I figured 40 GB would be plenty. The $100 I saved by taking this route made it a little easier to get over the fact that I just dropped a nice chunk of change on something that I really didn't "need" since I already had a functioning iPod with plenty of available room.

OAW

freaktornado
Oct 27, 2004, 04:53 PM

I'm an idiot, after reading this thread, my brain just assmued that the message I got from Apple was a shipping notice, when in fact it was just the second order confirmation. It has the line "the following items will be shipped" - which made me jump to the conclusion that it was a ship notification, it isn't.

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
Now that the day's almost over, I'm interested in how many people here were impressed enough to buy one of the new iPods (U2, color, whichever) virtually unseen on the very first day.

I'll start it off: I placed an order for the iPod Photo 60GB, seen on web pages only, from the other side of the world (Australia), not having read any user reviews or anything.

Anyone else as crazy as I am?!

(Oh, and to the people saying "color iPod what on earth are they good for" - STFU and start your own thread!)
I have been wanting an iPod for a few months and was going to ask for one for Xmas, but I was too excited about this one, so I bit... Mine is supposed to ship "before Nov 10th".
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 05:47 PM

I ordered a 40GB iPod Photo on day one in the evening and it has yet to ship, estimated to ship by November 10th rather than the 9th that most seem to be reporting for the 60GB model.

I also ordered a wired remote (w/ another set of earbuds, no way around that...) as it doesn't seem to come standard an any iPod anymore, is this correct or am I crazy and just threw away another 40 bucks? My 10GB 2G came w/ the works back in the day... oh well.

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

ph0ust
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 06:35 PM

man, i really want the 60gb u2 ipod photo... seriously. looks so damn cool in black with a red click wheel!!! i would buy that now, but since i have a 40gb 3g i will wait.

are you are reading this apple??? just let me know when the 60gb u2 ipod photo is available and i will give you yet more of my money.

pjmurphy
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 06:37 PM

I was just at the Easton (Columbus OH) Apple store and they have the photo iPods for sale already! Just a heads up
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
www.brandthunder.com
15" MBP
2 nanos (blk, red)
8GB iPhone
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2004, 07:13 PM

FYI

The St. Louis store has the 60 GB iPod Photo in stock. No 40 GB ones yet (I was hoping I could cancel my online order and get that instant gratification!) and no idea when they will be arriving.

OAW

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 08:01 PM

Ordered U2 iPod yesterday. Estimated middle of November.

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 12:34 AM

I'm envious of you guys with shipping notes and/or Apple Stores in your area that have them in stock!

When I ordered my 3rd gen 30GB (also online, from Australia) I got it in about 10 days but it was still before all the local resellers.

I think Apple has to stock the warehouse (which is essentially all Apple Australia is these days) and to do that they have to negotiate crates of imported stock through customs before the dealers start getting them.

Whereas, the individual orders go through the import process quicker.

But waiting patiently: third iPod, come to me quickly!

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 01:15 AM

Just picked up my 60GB at the Apple Store at Washington Square in Oregon. My 35GB of music just finished syncing to it, so now I can start playing. They said they had one left after I bought mine (didn't ask about 40s though)

I swore to myself that I was going to sit this one out as I just bought a 40GB click-wheel when they came out.. I think I already have a buyer for that one though so this upgrade should only cost me around ~$300.

I like how you can get more info on the screen now, the text seems a little smaller thanks to the higher res screen. The UI is a bit laggy compared to the old ones though, but not too bad.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 02:22 AM

I was at the Apple store in Mall of America today, and I saw a family that bought a iPod Photo. So, the Apple store there I know has them in stock already.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2004, 11:30 AM

EDIT: OOPS. The tracking # was just for the AppleCare box

Mike

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 01:42 PM

Received an official shipping notification for the 40GB iPod Photo. Scheduled to get here on Nov. 3! If we end up with 4 more years of Dubya at least I'll have a new toy to play with when I find out. That is, if we actually have a declared winner by then.

OAW

freaktornado
Oct 28, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by OAW:
Received an official shipping notification for the 40GB iPod Photo. Scheduled to get here on Nov. 3! If we end up with 4 more years of Dubya at least I'll have a new toy to play with when I find out. That is, if we actually have a declared winner by then.

OAW
Congrats! Was it engraved?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by freaktornado:
Congrats! Was it engraved?
Nope. I never get engraving because ...

1. It's always in a case so I don't see the back anyway.

2. I might want to eBay it one day when an even better iPod comes out.

OAW

69camaro
Oct 28, 2004, 02:19 PM

I called the apple store to reserve mine last night so I could pick it up this morning. They come from apple charged, which needless to say was a surprise.

[img[http://www.sitesled.com/members/getfoul/IMG_0204.JPG[/img]

There you have it.

atlcane
Oct 28, 2004, 03:19 PM

I went to my local apple store after work yesturday and saw one. Thought it was cool but have a hard time laying down $600 for a Digital Music player that will display pictures. I have a 2nd gen 20Gig iPod now with 2.5 gig left on it. I want to wait until I run out of space in hope that the cost of the iPod Photo will go down.

freaktornado
Oct 28, 2004, 03:33 PM

I've never gotten one engraved before, I did this time. Didn't think about Ebay, but the truth is each time I've had an iPod to sell, I have a list of friends that want to buy it. Right now 3 people in my office want my 30GB one, so it won't make it as far as Ebay.

Parky
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 07:23 PM

I ordered mine today (60GB)

I just worked out the UK price compared to the US price, and including tax differences, we are paying $78 more in the UK.

Shame really, would have been better to hit the �399 mark rather than the actual �429 price they are selling for.

Ian
Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 09:26 PM

My 40GB also shipped out yesterday... Tracking history so far shows it from Shanghai, China to Anchorage, Alaska, where it has just left.

ETA on the iPod is also November 3rd... on a side note, my remote has not shipped yet.

//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Oct 28, 2004, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by michaelb:
I placed an order for the iPod Photo 60GB, seen on web pages only, from the other side of the world (Australia), not having read any user reviews or anything. Anyone else as crazy as I am?!
Yes I did exactly the same thing - first thing that morning made my order, though I have accepted the free engraving which means my order will likely take longer.

It will be my first iPod actually - I will be using it as a backup drive in addition to music, so have been waiting on a 60GB version. The colour and photo capabilities are a major bonus.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 12:56 AM

my ETA is also November 3rd by 10:30. i am so excited, any news on a case for the photo ipods? i dont wan to be using the apple one for too long

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 01:16 AM

Don't want one. Well the new ones at least.

I have a G3 15 giger but I rather have a Mini. I would buy one now but I have a feeling that new ones will come out before christmas.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

michaelb  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
Yes I did exactly the same thing - first thing that morning made my order, though I have accepted the free engraving which means my order will likely take longer.

It will be my first iPod actually - I will be using it as a backup drive in addition to music, so have been waiting on a 60GB version. The colour and photo capabilities are a major bonus.
Welcome to the Australian iPod Owners Club, mate! All 'pods sold in Australia come with a crocodile skin belt clip and a kangaroo fur lined carry case... Nah, just kidding.

Cool first iPod though! That's style.

I'll post when mine arrives so you'll know yours will be just a day or so later.

gkorsgard
Oct 29, 2004, 09:37 AM

I got my new ipod photo 60. This thing is pretty cool. Even though many have said the photo function is useless, it is still a cool feature. The interface is very clear. Screen is also clear.

drewstevens
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 11:07 AM

Check your tracking numbers! My FedEx delivery date was Nov 3, but I see that it was delivered this morning - it's going to be a long workday...

dmcnickle
Senior User
Oct 29, 2004, 11:52 AM

My FedEx estimated delivery date says Nov 3 but FedEx told me that it is actually going to be delivered on Monday Nov 1 instead. They allowed the extra time for it to clear customs.

I can't wait.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by OAW:

OAW
FedEx showed up this morning! A lot earlier than expected but I'm certainly not complaining. It's like I got 2nd Day shipping without even paying for it. Faster than that when you consider that I placed my order on Wednesday evening.

OAW

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 01:58 PM

same here i will have pictures real soon, hope i dont overload my .mac bandwidth, is ipodlounge.com down for everone else

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 06:42 PM

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by dmcnickle:
I placed an order for the iPod Photo and just received a notice of shipment for it. I am really excited to get it.

I ordered an U2 iPod for my daughter for Christmas and have a on or before date of Nov 17.
I ordered mine (iPod U2) yesterday it is set to be shipped on or before November 8. I am in Canada.
"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2004, 01:29 AM

Oh by the way, I thought I'd comment on this part of James Kim's review of the iPod Photo on CNET ...

" Downside: You can't browse photos while you listen to music; slide shows are based on photos and a specific album or playlist. '

http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iPod_P...2.html?tag=top

Uh .... I'm not sure what he's been smoking but this is definitely not true. Slide shows are based upon a specific playlist or from whatever was set in iPhoto. Also, you most certainly can randomly browse the photo library while listening to whatever music you are playing. I've done it myself via headphones and the line out in the dock. I don't know what he was thinking about on that one.

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules