Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Toying again on the Dark Side

Toying again on the Dark Side (Page 2)
MacMelo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by urrl78:
Just wish more of us would realize Windows bashing only results in a lot of broken glass and scatters a lot of would be switchers from Apple. Why join a bunch of snobby Mac users with their noses stuck so high up Steve Job's butt that they can't smell anything but their own assinine insistance for the last word? That seems to be the theme of some here, but not all. But still; one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. I feel we as Mac users should uphold a better reputation. We have a quality OS, fine hardware and I believe we should at least have a little more dignity about it; that's all. The origional poster just commented basically he was amazed how far the PC had developed, and I agree with him. OSX certainly looks better, no argument here, but don't tell me XP is not dependable because I use it at my job every day, and it is maintained by a group of knowledgable and experienced people using the correct software. In the last 5 years I have never had a virus with XP or W2k and any instances are extremely rare in my building. Saying the present Windows "is rubbish" only lets the knowledgeable OSX/XP users of us realize how outdated your thinking is. The rubbish remark has been out dated for some time now along with Windows 98. So I guess some of us must be still living in the 90's.

I've been a x86 + Windows user for many years, and have switched almost a year ago... TOTAL SWITCH... Now, MY ONLY COMPUTER is my PowerBook G4 17, and I carry it with me all day long... So, nowadays I'm really a strict-Mac user, and LOVE IT... I really think its the best combination of hardware + software + user experience...

That been said, I don't think Windows is a bad OS... I think Windows XP is a very good system, compared to its predecessors (95, 98, ME... haven't used 2000)... The problem of the x86 platform is the generic low-quality hardware, and the OS vulnerability to the user's behavior... A lot of PC users, when surfing the web or doing whatever, have the nasty habit of just answering YES to every pop-up, without even thinking... Thus, VIRUS, ADWARE, MALWARE, KEYLOGGERS, etc etc etc

My point is... when comparing Mac and PC, it's not fair to compare an Apple designed PowerBook in the hands of a power-user, with an el-cheapo generic PC in the hands of a stupid user...

OS X is great... I love it, and use it everyday... But let's not close our eyes... A good PC hardware (IBM laptop, for example) in the hands of a good user works just as well...

MacMelo
( Last edited by MacMelo; Feb 16, 2005 at 08:13 PM. )

Mr Heliums
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2005, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by John123:
Sorry friend, but it is slow. To deny it means you're not being objective.
How can anyone be objective if you measure speed in such vague terms?

Saying Mac OS X is 'slow' is inevitably a subjective opinion - considering what it is doing, many would say it's extraordinarily fast - and it's also relative. Slow compared to what?

I've found Mac OS X feels slower than Windows XP around the desktop, but if I'm multitasking heavily, Mac OS X feels much swifter.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2005, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by Mr Heliums:
How can anyone be objective if you measure speed in such vague terms?

Saying Mac OS X is 'slow' is inevitably a subjective opinion - considering what it is doing, many would say it's extraordinarily fast - and it's also relative. Slow compared to what?

I've found Mac OS X feels slower than Windows XP around the desktop, but if I'm multitasking heavily, Mac OS X feels much swifter.
I wasn't vague at all. Read the follow-up posts. The distinction you made is exactly the one I'm talking about: day to day, desktop-level operations tasks are significantly slower in OS X than on Windows. This includes hierarchical menus. It includes things like opening and closing windows. It includes opening applications or documents within applications.

Sure, if you are running a Photoshop filter while encoding a video and something else and trying to tax your processor, the Mac will do well...but that's because in essence you are going AROUND the OS's clunkier features and taking advantage of the true preemptive multitasing facet of it, one of the few benefits that it really offers over its Windows counterpart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules