Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Power on G5 via Cinema Display power button?

Power on G5 via Cinema Display power button?
Nelsun
Jun 12, 2005, 06:46 PM

I just bought a new G5 2.7ghz with Tiger loaded in it and a 23" Apple Cinema Display. A friend tells me that the power button on the side of the ACD can be used to shut down and start up the whole system, G5 and ACD. He's seen it done on the 20" ACD. I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

The only thing I can get the button to do is open the sleep/shut down dialog box. I checked the System prefs for Displays. There under options, they give you 3 choices, 1: The button does nothing, 2, The button opens a dialog box for the system to sleep or shut down, 3. Turns the display on and off.

I suspect he saw the display turned on, and thought he saw the system start up too, but he's a IT guy, so he should know the difference. The system I have is set to factory default settings. Can someone clear this up for me? Can you actually turn on your computer via the power button on the side of the ACD? Thanks! (Tried to search, but it wouldn't work.)

Nelsun

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 06:56 PM

That's WEIRD. All the cinema displays I've used you have 2 choices: Either it sleeps/starts the machine or it does nothing. We don't have any DVI cinema displays though, one's ADC and hooked up to the g5, and mine's ADC with a DVI adaptor plugged into my g4 (I have a custom video card), with the adaptor the button can sleep the machine but can't start it...
Aloha

derekn
Senior User
Jun 12, 2005, 06:58 PM

You used to be able to do that with the previous connector called ADC (Apple Display Connector), it routed the monitor signal, power, USB etc all through one connector. It was nice, but was purely for Macs and wasn't used by anyone else. So Apple ditched that and has now gone with an industry standard DVI connector and separated everything else into individual connectors.

So I'm guessing your friend got the old displays capabilities confused with the new ones. It'd be nice if the new displays would do that, it was really cool.

Nelsun  (op)
Jun 12, 2005, 07:07 PM

Thanks derekn! That explains it. Too bad, I really miss starting up from the power button on the keyboard.

One thing though, if the ACD can be set to put the system to sleep and shut down, why does it not follow it could also start up the system? The ACD's connections to the G5 implies it can command the G5.
( Last edited by Nelsun; Jun 12, 2005 at 08:59 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2005, 06:12 AM

Yeah, you could also power-on your Mac through your ADC connected monitor.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacRules
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 12:12 AM

I have a G5 with a 20" display and I can power it on from the monitor.
Check in the options tab of the Apple Cinema preferences and make sure you don't have the power button disabled.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by MacRules
I have a G5 with a 20" display and I can power it on from the monitor.
Check in the options tab of the Apple Cinema preferences and make sure you don't have the power button disabled.
Where is this feature? Or do you mean wakr from sleep?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Link
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 03:54 AM

On the ADC ones, the power button is "hooked into" the motherboard in such a way it can start, sleep, and even turn off the machine if you hold it for ~4 seconds.
Aloha

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2005, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Link
On the ADC ones, the power button is "hooked into" the motherboard in such a way it can start, sleep, and even turn off the machine if you hold it for ~4 seconds.
But that's not this gen of ACD's is it? It's the previous generation of Apple displays correct?

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2005, 05:03 AM

Correct. Only ADC equipped Apple monitors had that capability.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MacRules
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 10:51 PM

My option tab has two different checkboxes.

_ Disable power button
_ Disable preferences button

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2005, 01:00 PM

My option tab has two different checkboxes.

_ Disable power button
_ Disable preferences button
My 23 incher (ADC) has also only those two buttons. Is there any software that needs to be installed to get the pref pane to show up like the pic above? I do not recall seeing a CD in the monitor box. Am I missing something?

MacRules
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2005, 01:35 AM

Mine has worked with panther and tiger so I don't think you need any separate installs.
Have you tried the "detect displays" button on the display tab?
Sorry I can't think of anything else.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 16, 2005, 08:36 AM

Mine has worked with panther and tiger so I don't think you need any separate installs.
Have you tried the "detect displays" button on the display tab?
Sorry I can't think of anything else.
Yeah, but nothing happens. Oh, well, time to visit the Apple boards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules