Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > getting video into itunes 6???

getting video into itunes 6???
tomasboudr
Oct 12, 2005, 08:37 PM

Anyone have any clue if it will be possible to play any h.264 video content in itunes 6 so it will show up in Front Row? That will make the mac a lot more like the media center I've dreamed of. I don't want to have to buy all of my TV shows from the itunes store. Also I don't want all my video content to be stuck at 320x240 resolution (or whatever the new ipod's resolution is)

This would also give the ability to put not-purchased video onto the new ipods. I feel like this has to be possible sooner or later via a software utility.

Do you guys agree?
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 09:11 PM

Just drag a video file into iTunes and it'll be added to the "Videos" section. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be usable in Front Row.

tomasboudr  (op)
Oct 12, 2005, 09:18 PM

that didn't work for me hence my Question. but I found the export to ipod option in QT pro, its exporting a test video now
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

t500
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 09:20 PM

It looks like its only going to work with h. 264 and Mpeg 4. It you bough Quick Time Pro 7, It should be able to convert it for you. I just hope it will scale the screen size down by itself. I'd hate to have to make those adjustments to my existing video.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by tomasboudr
that didn't work for me hence my Question. but I found the export to ipod option in QT pro, its exporting a test video now
I just did it with a h.264 trailer...

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 09:38 PM

In Quicktime Pro 7, File -> Export -> (find the ipod/itunes option) and let it rip...

Make sure to save the file somewhere, defualt put them in documents, took me 5 mins to find them, but they are automaticly added into your itunes library. You can also make video playlists now.
- Eric

porieux
Baninated
Oct 12, 2005, 09:59 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:20 AM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 12, 2005, 10:27 PM

Think hard.

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 11:48 PM

Apple surely doesn't want to get involved in issues such as licensing with MacroVision, the movie studios, violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and such. And they don't want to be associated with the taint of piracy and get into hot water with the movie studios.

There are plenty of tools and tutorials for that kind of stuff that you can find via Google.

porieux
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 02:33 AM

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 03:39 AM

THere is no difference between ripping audio and ripping video. Fair use.
There is a difference. Audio off a CD is just audio. It is not encrypted, nor protected in any way, so ripping it falls under fair use. However, video on a DVD is encrypted, and thus breaking the encryption to get to the video by law (in the US) falls under the DMCA first. Fair use laws have no stipulations that say breaking encryption is ok. The DMCA disallows breaking encryption on copy protection systems.

You can thank a capitalistic society for allowing corporate interests to be more important in our law making process then personal rights. I for one think the government in the US has swung too far towards capitalism and needs to swing back a bit. However, I'm going to cut this discussion right here before getting too political. This site has a seperate section for such a discussion to continue.
<This space under renovation>

wilsonng
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 04:15 AM

As much as I believe in fair use, try using that argument against the RIAA lawyers. You are invited to become the front-runner in the defense of Fair Use. Blaze a trail for the rest of us and we will worship you.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 05:02 AM

I installed the DivX, 3ivX, AC3 and Ogg Quicktime components last night, then added a whole bunch of AVI music videos to iTunes. I had to open them in QTPlayer first and save them as self-contained movies (basically to put them in a .mov wrapper, they stay the same size and hardly take any processing), but it works. This should also work for most DivX encoded films; if you have the hard drive space there's no reason not to use iTunes for all your movies too.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

porieux
Baninated
Oct 18, 2005, 06:36 PM

jlgrandam
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2005, 11:09 PM

What about those of us who dont want to buy QT pro? Any other free programs to convert the files to the correct format?
12.1" Powerbook G4

esXXI
Senior User
Oct 18, 2005, 11:26 PM

Drag a video file in to your library, then right click and select "Playlists -> Video"

Now the video will show up in the Video playlist's thumbnail/list view and should mean you can watch it in front row.

Forum Links
Forum Rules