Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Video quality from iTMS is bad

Video quality from iTMS is bad
Hanul
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2005, 06:53 PM

I bought 2 videos to test the new offering, but the video quality is very, very bad.

Madonna's "Express Yourself" is blurry and the colors are kind of washed out (this is not the "arty" special effect from the video). The compression (MPEG-4) seems to be intented for iPods only, because on a 20" display it looks worse than TV. That's a shame, because the ad clearly states, that you can enjoy the videos on big screens and the iPod's small one.

Pixar's "For the birds" is pixelated and you can't get any of the fine nuances (e.g. the birds' feathers), which made the short famous. It's still funny, but you can't see the CG glory.

Couldn't Apple compress to a NTSC/PAL format or would that be too storage consuming? Apple claims up to 150 hours of video on an 60GB iPod, that is 400MB an hour. For comparision: A 120 minutes movie compressed to 3GP with 15 frames/s and 220x176 with stereo sound is around 180MB, so I guess the video quality of iTMS videos is only twice as "good". Probably it's aimed for the iPod screen at 320x240.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hanul
Couldn't Apple compress to a NTSC/PAL format or would that be too storage consuming?
The iPod can not show full NTSC/PAL format video. The maximum video size it can decode H.264 is 320x240.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 07:08 PM

I bought 2 videos to test the new offering, but the video quality is very, very bad.

Just like evrything with Apple they will improve things quickly...most likely choices of quality and size...this is a brand new service. I believe Apple deserves a little slack on this one.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 07:59 PM

Remember, ""its all about the music, video doesn't matter"

_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2005, 08:22 PM

Resolution?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 08:33 PM

of course they look bad on your computer. how do you expect a 320x240 video to look when scaled to 1680x1050 (or 1400x1050 unstretched) on a 20" screen? pretty much anything short of HD loses a lot of quality on high-res screens. The videos on there are designed with the iPod in mind; if the quality was any better, the iPod wouldn't be able to play them.

"I start fires!"

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
of course they look bad on your computer. how do you expect a 320x240 video to look when scaled to 1680x1050 (or 1400x1050 unstretched) on a 20" screen? pretty much anything short of HD loses a lot of quality on high-res screens. The videos on there are designed with the iPod in mind; if the quality was any better, the iPod wouldn't be able to play them.

That should clarify the muddy waters!
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 08:46 PM

Standard TV broadcast is around 300x480 and that's interlaced! VHS is 240x 480i. Laserdisk is 425x480i and DVD is around 500x480 of actual analog output resolution. That 640x480 and 720x480 is not real. It just exists in the digital domain. The horizontal resolution goes to mush when converted to analog.

The new iPod is capable of displaying a decent picture if it is decompressed right. It won't be DVD quality, but it should be better than VHS. I guess we have to wait until they ship.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 08:56 PM

Looks more than acceptable on my 12" PB. At the smaller size which would replicate the iPod screen, it looks very nice.

On our 20" iMac, well it looks good but like already stated, it wasn't made for this size.

What is really nice is the sound volume. Very loud. It's about time.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 08:58 PM

The iPod is perfectly capable of displaying DVD-quality video, just not full DVD resolution. The new iPod's screen actually has a pixel density of 154ppi, compared to the 99ppi density of the 20" displays, so video with a decent bitrate (dunno what the iTunes store uses) should actually look quite sharp and detailed.

And DVDs might be displayed at something equivalent to 500x480 in the digital realm on an analog display, but the video itself is a full 720x480 pixels, and that is all shown when watching on a digital display.

"I start fires!"

tomasboudr
Oct 12, 2005, 09:00 PM

do you guys think we'll be able to get other video into itunes for syncing, even if it is ipod sized h.264. I want to be able to put video on it that isn't from the music store
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
The videos on there are designed with the iPod in mind; if the quality was any better, the iPod wouldn't be able to play them.
But Jobs spent a great deal of time talking about Front Row on the iMac, and playing iTMS videos through it. I wish there was a better way to do this, but it's hard to imagine how it would work. They could sell them at higher resolution and have the iPod scale it down, but that would mean a bigger file to download, it would take up more room on the hard drive, and it would probably chew up more battery.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tomasboudr
do you guys think we'll be able to get other video into itunes for syncing, even if it is ipod sized h.264. I want to be able to put video on it that isn't from the music store
Definitely. Apple has a tutorial up for how to create an iPod-ready video with QT Pro.

[edit] But I also wonder what would happen if you stuck a video on there that was the right format, but wasn't the right size.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:34 PM

at their regular resolution they look great, and i'm sure they will look great on an iPod.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by mdc

at their regular resolution they look great, and i'm sure they will look great on an iPod.

I agree. With new standards and tech, this will likely improve.

I have no use for a Video iPod but I find his device fascinating in how it will change the "game".

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 12, 2005, 09:59 PM

Videos from the store and even my own i've been converting over to ipod format look just great to me, I've noticed no issues as of yet, just need the pod to show up...
- Eric

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 12, 2005, 11:24 PM

On an iPod, yes, they'll look great. On an iMac, not so much.

I hope this 320x240 video rez is just temporary. VHS quality doesn't impress in 2005.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2005, 11:28 PM

But you know what? A lot of us still record to VHS. Now, I can have this stuff directly on my computer. Someday, I may have a video pod but by then I am hopeful quality will be even better. For now, I think this is just great. And at less than $2 per, not too shabby.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 12, 2005, 11:31 PM

Go ahead and complain. At least you can buy them - while us international users are yet again out in the cold.

Oh, and the pay for videos are lower quality than the previous free ones (which you could download through iTMS extractor or iTMS video link maker). They were 480x360, Sorenson Video 3 encoded.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2005, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
Videos from the store and even my own i've been converting over to ipod format look just great to me, I've noticed no issues as of yet, just need the pod to show up...
how big are the videos that you are converting and how long are they taking?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 13, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Go ahead and complain. At least you can buy them - while us international users are yet again out in the cold.
Being in Canada, I can only buy the shorts and music videos.

It's definitely not worth spending 2+ bux to get a short.

Oh, and the pay for videos are lower quality than the previous free ones (which you could download through iTMS extractor or iTMS video link maker). They were 480x360, Sorenson Video 3 encoded.
Yeah, that's lame. Too bad the iPod is limited to 320x240, cuz 480x360 isn't half bad for TV shows. It's a heluvalot better than 320x240, that's for sure.

bad_quote
Baninated
Oct 13, 2005, 12:12 AM

Video iPods are stupid.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2005, 12:12 AM

If you watch it on a TV you're not gonna notice any difference.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 13, 2005, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by mdc
how big are the videos that you are converting and how long are they taking?
The ones I've done so far are from 150 to 200 megs that get converted down to 4-5 megs. Time not sure, I didn't sit through either one of the decoding processes but it didn't seem to take long. My machine is only a dual 1.0 gig QS. I'll be doing larger ones like 600+ megs soon though and I'm sure that will take some time.
- Eric

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2005, 12:18 AM

480x360 would be the golden res I think. Small, yet good enough quality for full-screen scaling.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2005, 12:20 AM

I can't wait to try putting a full-length DVD movie on one of these and (attempt) to watch it on a plane or somewhere similar.

I can pretty easily re-encode a DVD MPEG 2 movie to a .mov file or a H.264 stream. Apple's Compressor 2.0 has a preset "web download" 320x240 H.264 compression option.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2005, 01:20 AM

Now Apple just needs to create a program that rips a DVD to a nice iTunes compatible video

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -

I was wondering about that international issue. I know several of my Japanese friends want to buy an iPod Video but the lack of online content might slow international sales. Hopefully they'll have all sorts of fun stuff to be put online.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If you watch it on a TV you're not gonna notice any difference.
Not everyone has an old TV. Some of us do indeed have an HDTV set, in this supposed "year of HD". 320x240 is a sad start for this if Apple expects it to be used much beyond the iPod. With the new iMacs and FrontRow integrating the videos into it, the excuse of "it's only for the iPod" no longer stands.

Apple is so damn close to getting the internet media distribution system fully functional. But for now we are stuck with a decent audio system that at least has the quality near the CD, but subpar video. Video that is way below the standards of what we get over Digital Cable or DVDs of TV shows in the store.
<This space under renovation>

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2005, 08:46 AM

Its a version 1, and things will only improve. I want one already anyway.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2005, 09:13 AM

Well, duh. It's 320x240 highly compressed video meant to play on an iPod's tiny LCD screen. Yeesh.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules