Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > FedEX Ground or U.P.S. Ground

View Poll Results: FedEX Ground or U.P.S. Ground
Poll Options:
FedEX Ground 40 votes (59.70%)
U.P.S. Ground 20 votes (29.85%)
Neither, I prefer another shipper. 7 votes (10.45%)
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll
FedEX Ground or U.P.S. Ground
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 04:45 PM

What source of shipping do you prefer for shipping ground? Which do you think is faster? U.P.S. ground or FedEX Ground?

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 04:47 PM

FedEx ALL the way.

UPS is horrible.

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 04:51 PM

Used UPS for almost 10 years, never a single problem.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 05:05 PM

I've recently had bad experiences with UPS, and would never deal with them again with anything of value.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 05:06 PM

FedEx.

UPS blows.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by baw
Do you live in the Twilight Zone?

Scifience
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Do you live in the Twilight Zone?
Only if I do, too.

Never had any problems with packages sent to me via UPS. With the exception of one book, which arrived with its corners all bent up, but that was the fault of the shipper - no padding or anything, just thrown in a way-too-big box.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 05:33 PM

FedEX is a lot faster ground shipping.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 05:59 PM

Seriously, we need a Fedex vs. UPS sticky.

Wait, make it a Fedex vs. UPS forum.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Sep 15, 2006, 06:26 PM

Both are quality shippers if you ask me. I've never had a problem with either.

Me best friend's dad works for UPS, but I use which ever is most convenient.

Hell, sometimes I use the US Postal Service *GASP*.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 06:58 PM

Note that FedEx ground is not operated the same way as the rest of FedEx. IIRC its operations are farmed out to local contractors. Thus you'll get varying levels of quality. Where I live, I've been extremely disappointed with FedEx Ground. FedEx overnight and 2day are great though. For ground I prefer UPS, but I generally would take USPS Priority Mail over both.
( Last edited by itai195; Sep 15, 2006 at 07:34 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 07:05 PM

Yeah, like itai said.And in general it does often depend on the local FedEx or UPS guy.

My own experience has been that FedEx is better, more reliable. I've had a couple problems over the years with UPS, none ever with FedEx (ground).

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 07:54 PM

DHL/airborne all the way baby... they seem friendlier.

If I have to pick between FedEx ground or UPS ground... UPS Ground then. I always thought FedEx is good at overnight shipping and UPS is all about ground shipping.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 08:06 PM

Fedex, I've had continuous problems with UPS and none with Fedex so far. Once UPS promised to deliver a package on a certain day to me, and the driver said they forgot to put it on the truck, then they forgot it again the next day and the day after. That's only one problem I had with them over the years.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 08:17 PM

FedEx - package arrives on time, clean, and in good shape.

UPS - package arrives on time (sometimes), dirty, and usually looks like it's been run over by the truck, dropped from the truck, thrown back in and delivered.

My wife gets frequent UPS shipments (the company she works with has a contract with UPS.) She's recieved packages that have had broken product, spilled product, dents in the boxes, corners bent, and even one where there was no tape left on at the top.

When I was at my last job, we got a proof in the mail, and if you are familiar with the printing industry, you know how a proof is usually mailed. It's sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard and they are taped together to form a very flat "box."

The package we got had tire tracks over the top of it. Not one, either, at least two.

UPS wear brown to blend in with the dirt they rub on every package.

Go FedEx or DHL.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom

UPS - package arrives on time (sometimes), dirty, and usually looks like it's been run over by the truck, dropped from the truck, thrown back in and delivered.

My wife gets frequent UPS shipments (the company she works with has a contract with UPS.) She's recieved packages that have had broken product, spilled product, dents in the boxes, corners bent, and even one where there was no tape left on at the top.

When I was at my last job, we got a proof in the mail, and if you are familiar with the printing industry, you know how a proof is usually mailed. It's sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard and they are taped together to form a very flat "box."

The package we got had tire tracks over the top of it. Not one, either, at least two.

Go FedEx or DHL.
I totally agree with ^

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Seriously, we need a Fedex vs. UPS sticky.

Wait, make it a Fedex vs. UPS forum.

-t
Nice suggestions...

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 08:56 PM

To be honest I've had bad experiences with them all.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 08:57 PM

For me I like FedEX, but I live 30 seconds from their distribution centre, so I get packages nice and fast, 3 day shipping on my iSight took 1 day after Apple shipped it.

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 09:00 PM

Apple instructed Fed Ex to ship my package by 2-day delivery. Fed Ex just screwed up and shipped it ground. No apologies, no explanation, nothing. UPS delivered my RAM a day early. Go UPS!

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 09:07 PM

FedEx all the way. Ground, Express, Freight, Customs Critical, LTL Freight. It's all good!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2006, 09:13 PM

They both suck, at least for international ground shipping. They both rip you off on brokerage charges.

P.S. FedEx Ground didn't used to exist. They bought a 3rd party ground shipping company and integrated them.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
Apple instructed Fed Ex to ship my package by 2-day delivery. Fed Ex just screwed up and shipped it ground. No apologies, no explanation, nothing. UPS delivered my RAM a day early. Go UPS!
When Apple shipped me my original iPod in 2001 FedEx screwed up and delivered it to a CompUSA!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2006, 09:38 PM

UPS, hands-down. I even worked for them for a while, and I still prefer them — even though I know what I did to the boxes (I was a splitter at the main Texas hub, so I touched 80%-plus of all packages entering the state).
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2006, 10:01 PM

Can't stand UPS, I far prefer FedEX

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 15, 2006, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by baw
I've had people occasionally send me things via UPS for only about 4 years, but the odd thing is that I've never got the package without some sort of problem. It seems that I always end up having to go to the UPS building and pick up the package manually, because they always fail to deliver it. The last time, they claimed that my name wasn't in the building's directory (for the buzzer thing you can use to call someone and have them buzz the door open so they can get in the building) although it most certainly is. Do you think they tried to deliver it again? Do you think they left any note saying they couldn't get in? Do you think they called me or anything like that? Nah, I only found out that they'd actually been here by calling them with the tracking number, and then I had to ride my bike 2 hours to where their shipping center is in order to get the package. If I hadn't done that, they would have returned the package to the sender. This was rather annoying since the package was my DSL modem being sent to me by the phone company.

Other things they've done include coming when I'm not there and figuring they could just leave the box with my neighbor, and not bothering to leave a note on my door telling me they'd done so. I only found out the neighbor had it when I called them a week later. Yeah, the neighbor could have freaking told me he had my package (he claimed he didn't know when I was home because I'm too quiet), but still.

So anyway, yeah, I'd go with FedEx simply by virtue of the fact that they are not UPS. One of these days, though, I am sure FedEx and UPS will merge, forming a new company called FedUps. All bets are off when that happens.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

porieux
Baninated
Sep 15, 2006, 10:51 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:56 AM. )

natnabour
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2006, 12:30 AM

*ahem* FedEx all the way.

the ONLY thing about FedEx is that its a business to business service. Meaning, if your client doesn't have a FedEx account and wants to send you something via your account, they can only do so using the Express service, not Ground service. minute details, I know.

oh and, if you are ever unsatisfied or if they by chance damage your shipment: its money back guarantEEd. its so great. omg i'm a shipping NERD!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2006, 03:20 AM

Fedex, and some DHL. No UPS. Never.

-t

baw
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 06:58 AM

Never use DHL.

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 07:17 AM

It would be FedEx if they'd just leave the damn package at the door when I'm not around like UPS. Instead I always get a slip and miss the guy every single day until I've got to go to FedEx and pick it up myself.

Madison
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2006, 08:44 AM

For regular, everyday shipping, UPS is the way to go, if you need something overnight, FedEx is the ONLY way to go, period.

nate_02
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 08:50 AM

UPS is awful.
FedEx is fine but wouldn't give me an account unless I had a company credit card.
DHL is great, although I mostly ship to the same place a couple times a week, so I haven't shipped a lot of different places with them.
-nate

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nate_02
FedEx is fine but wouldn't give me an account unless I had a company credit card.
How is that ?

I was able to open a Fedex account on a personal credit card.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 12:39 PM

FedEx mostly because the driver that delivered my wife's iBook dropped an "attempted delivery" note while we were out, but then swung back by and delivered it later because "I was going past and thought you might be in this time." Great service.

UPS has never been "bad" to me, but they do tend to get packages dirtier.

DHL/Airborne is poo.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nate_02
Senior User
Sep 16, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
How is that ?

I was able to open a Fedex account on a personal credit card.

-t
Sorry, I'll clarify...it was for work, so I didn't want my personal credit card attached to the business account.
-nate

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2006, 01:54 PM

For ground delivery, I prefer UPS. FedEx Ground drove me nuts. From my understanding...FedEx Ground is truck-based, while UPS ground is distribution center based.

I had chosen free shipping from the Apple store, which turned out to be FedEx ground. Because of my crazy work schedule, I missed their delivery twice. I called FedEx and asked if they would hold it at their distribution center so I can pick it up...they told me that with Ground that wasn't possible, because Ground keeps everything on their trucks, which do not off load at a distribution center. I ended up burning a vacation day, just to be at home to catch the truck.

I've had packages delivered via UPS ground, and they at least give the customer the option to hold the package at the distribution center for pickup after the first delivery attempt. I've never had any trouble with UPS ground.
I gotta have more cowbell.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 04:26 AM

FedEx is good. FedEx ground blows.

UPS - They will smash all your stuff to bits.
FedEx ground - You'll get it when they are darn good and ready to give it to you.

Oddly ... (and it pains me to say this) the good ol' USPS is the best and fastest low-cost ground shipper. (Unless it's between the end of October and January during the holiday season ... in that case they blow nuts as well.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2006, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966
FedEX is a lot faster ground shipping.
How is that when you have to wait a a day for Fedex ground to come pick up UPS ships Ground the same day.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

chestercopperpot
Baninated
Sep 19, 2006, 10:17 AM

I don't know if you mean for shipping large things.... for small boxes, fedex rocks. But for large crates, stuff like that, Fedex subcontracts out their work to indie mom n pop moving van companies, none of which are accountable for your package. I had fedex ground totally and utterly destroy a $1800 HP Printer/plotter that I packed in 4 rolls of bubble wrap, 3 layers of cardboard, another 3 rolls of bubblewrap, and more cardboard, along with 2x4s on each corner. I think they dropped it out of the back of a van. It was literally in thousands of pieces. Fedex Ground/Freight sucks major ****ing dick. On top of this the guy I shipped it to had to take them to court and SUE them to get his money back.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 11:44 AM

You, literally, counted all 1000 pieces?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
You, literally, counted all 1000 pieces?
I think he came up to 997 pieces and then smashed three pieces into two each.
Or was it 995 and five pieces ?

Ah, I forgot.

-t

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 01:55 PM

DHL only.

Naaaaak
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2006, 01:56 PM

I had to ship 2 things yesterday. FedEx ground was $10 cheaper than UPS Ground for the same service. On top of that the guy in the FedEx / Kinkos store talked like John Shepard from Stargate Atlantis. I should have inquired if they are shipping via Stargate now.
To be determined later.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
DHL only.
DHL never for me. They're far too disorganized, and they are a FRANCHISE, so there's less accountability and more people to spread blame out over. I just won't deal with them at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2006, 04:29 PM

At work, I just got some papers in regarding a UPS shipment that was supposed to deliver overnight, important parts for a manufacturing plant.

The parts ended up taking 2 days, instead of overnight, simply because the UPS flight was full. WTF ? As a result, we had to expedite some other parts to keep the plant from being shut down. Extra cost $ 5,000. Now I have to fight with UPS to get that money reimbursed. NEVER use UPS.

-t

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 08:41 PM

Last time I had DHL deliver for me, it took 16 days to get my package to me (mainly due to the fact that they let it sit in a warehouse for awhile, air-mailed it, let it sit in a warehouse for awhile days, then gave it to my local USPS to deliver). If that wasn't the biggest pain in my arse...

Then there was the USPS delivering my original iPod, I watched her write the note that said that she had tried to deliver the package to my home and we weren't there. I had to wait an additional day before I could go pick it up at the post office.

Never had a real problem with FedEx or UPS, but I prefer FedEx, because for some reason, they'll manage to deliver the package to my house from China before I realize it's left (Seriously, it was something like 8 hours from the time my iPod mini left the shipping dock in China until it was at my front door and this happens all the time for me with Apple products being shipping from the distributor in China). Plus the FedEx boxes dominate the UPS boxes.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom

Go FedEx or DHL.
I'm still laughing at the "why they wear brown" comment.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2006, 01:53 AM

With all the naysaying about DHL, I just sent out an iPod to my friend by DHL Ground.

Forum Links
Forum Rules