Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Windows Not Recognizing total RAM Upgrade

Windows Not Recognizing total RAM Upgrade
justmetoo
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2007, 10:50 AM

Hi all,
Sorry, I KNOW this has been mentioned in a forum, either here, or another, but my searches for that thread have been fruitless, so I'm asking again.

Just added 2x1 GB of RAM to my Mac Pro. OSX recognizes it as 3 GB total, BUT Windoze reports only 2 GB.

Is it just "seeing" the one mem board with the 2X1 sticks??? Any help resolving this much appreciated, afterall, it cost an arm and a leg I might as well get the benefit, right?

Best regards...

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 10:03 AM

I just upgraded my MacPro to 3GB a couple days ago and Windows XP Pro SP2 only recognizes 2GB. There is a way to allow Windows to acces 3GB, I tried it and it didn't work, but do a Google search for "windows /3GB boot.ini" and you should get some information.

Good luck.

justmetoo  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2007, 01:57 PM

The google you suggest provides relevant info, but apparently it isn't helpful (as you suggest), see the "other" mac forum for details:

Mac Owners Support Group :: View topic - Windows XP only sees 2GB of installed 4GB

Apparently we're stuck, unless a solution has been found and those in-the-loop aren't letting us in... I guess 2GB is better than 1...

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 03:11 PM

There are solutions out there, you just need to look. I can summarize but I really don't care too much about 3GTB in XP. It's only a matter of editing "boot.ini" which is accessible via Properties on My Computer. If you take more than a minute of Googling you'll find it.

uruiamme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2007, 02:24 AM

It's only a matter of editing "boot.ini" which is accessible via Properties on My Computer. If you take more than a minute of Googling you'll find it.
The 3GB switch in boot.ini has nothing to do with Windows not using the physical memory. I would recommend not saying what you think you know. In other words, your advice is wrong.

Here is a start to your quest. The Old New Thing : Summary of the recent spate of /3GB articles

Don't add that switch, and if you do to see what happens, remove it unless you need it for a particular piece of software.

I just posted another thread about this. Sorry I didn't see this one, justmetoo. I am having the exact same problem on my MacPro with 3 GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules