Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro and LCD TV ?

Mac Pro and LCD TV ?
mdubreuil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 04:17 PM

Happy day ! The waiting blues is over ! I want to buy the new Mac Pro and I'm wondering if it would work with a 1080 p 32" inch LCD (1920 x 1080) (ex; Sharp Aquos)...or should I go with the new Dell 30 ?http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...ool/tongue.gif

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2008, 04:34 PM

It should work fine with the TV, but go ahead and buy that Dell 30 inch monster and send it to me for "testing"
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

mdubreuil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2008, 04:38 PM

I'm waiting until next Tuesday; maybe Apple could introduce a large LCD-TV..

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2008, 04:48 PM

Hehe here's hoping.

I was waiting until next week to see if Apple launch new Cinema Displays as I quite fancy the 30 inch but after the whole 8800GT fiasco I think I'd rather give my money to another company (unless they sort it out that is)
Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz with 5Gb memory, 2.2Tb internal HDD, 750Gb external HDD and 30" Apple Cinema Display

Aegis
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2008, 05:31 PM

Sometimes TVs make pretty poor computer displays because text isn't rendered as well as it would be on a monitor (tends to look grainy). Some TVs are better at it than others though. I'd vote for the monitor.

Macadvo
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2008, 02:29 AM

Oh the monitor has to win every time of course

Richard Richard
Jan 11, 2008, 04:51 AM

i have my pro attached via hdmi to a bravia 40 incher

the picture is amazing , plus at various resolutions there is no dithering or image softening at all , it's pin sharp at 1344 x 756 , 1600 x 900 & full hd 1920 x 1080 , in fact at full hd it's almost TOO sharp

plus you get all the niceties that no monitor will have - like good built in speakers , built in tv channels and ability to attach gaming consoles without buying 3rd party addons
mac 4 evaah

mdubreuil  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2008, 11:55 AM

thank for the info Richard...I would like to use the HdTV as second or third screen on the MacPro, mostly to watch video (download) and dvd (rip) (and of course to watch TV)..so it look like a Bravia or a Samsung will fit the bill... i'll wait untill tuesday ...

Laurence
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2008, 01:12 AM

I recently got a 42" Westinghouse TV (1080P) and thought I'd use it as a second monitor for mainly watching videos, however once I realized how good the picture looked I sold the Dell 24" Monitor I'd been using before. As long as the TV does true 1080P it should look great for text, graphics, or anything else!
--Laurence

Tesselator
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2008, 03:27 AM

Isn't there a huge difference between the dot-pitch of LCD TVs and LCD computer monitors? I've had several
experts and sales people tell me so anyway. So I guess if you're going to be doing much reading the Dell 30"
is the way to go. I almost bought the Dell 30" myself but then I opted for two $300 24" LCDs instead. I guess
I'm pretty happy with that decision. I now have 2 monitors with 3 connection types each (HDMI [computer/video],
RGB 15pin, and Component video) so between those and my 4-way KVM switch I can hook up 7 computers
and 2 DVD players or 2 Game consoles or one of each - and watch any two at the same time. That's actually
perfect as I have 7 computers (that are worth turning on!), a XBox360 and a PS3.

I paused Halo 3 to write this message for example...

Hey, it's Saturday...!

Forum Links
Forum Rules