Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Headphones on a Cube

Headphones on a Cube
kingturd
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2001, 01:00 PM

My girlfriend purchased a cube a few months ago and she had a question about it. The speakers it comes with have a port which we assumed was for headphones. When headphones are plugged in, the sound goes through them, however it still plays through the speakers. Is there a way to make the sound just go through the headphones and not play through the speakers? (that's the point of headphones, right?)

Aykew
Aug 22, 2001, 01:19 AM

Uh.... the sound is supposed to cut off when you insert the headphones. Maybe you've got a defective unit. Perhaps you're using some funky type of headphone that doesn't plug in quite all the way, just shy of hitting the cutoff? (I had a pair of panasonic headphones designed specifically for their mobile tape player and the had a little metal ridge around the plug that caused this exact problem)

If trying another set of headphones doesn't work, call 1-800-MY-APPLE for tech support!

proluck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 07:08 PM

Slightly related, I'm wondering what if you don't want to use the pro speakers at all? The cube has no other audio out, but through USB, does anyone know of a good solution to go straight to headphones w/ a simple converter?

kingturd  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2001, 06:33 PM

Ok, taking this thread in a slightly different direction, she has added a new element to the question.

She also wants to add a microphone or headset to the mix. I think that the Griffin iMic will do this, but I'm not sure of two things:

1. Will the iMic provide enough power to run the speakers? Her USB Hub will not run speakers or a keyboard.

2. If she plugs headphones or a headset into the iMic, will it turn off the speakers and just play sound through the headphones?

Thanks for all your help!

kingturd  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2001, 09:42 PM

[accidently hit the back button and it reposted]

[ 08-23-2001: Message edited by: kingturd ]

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 23, 2001, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by kingturd:
<STRONG>1. Will the iMic provide enough power to run the speakers? Her USB Hub will not run speakers or a keyboard.

2. If she plugs headphones or a headset into the iMic, will it turn off the speakers and just play sound through the headphones?

Thanks for all your help!</STRONG>
What speakers are you pugging into the iMic? The iMic plugs into the USB port, but it does not have any more ports to plug the Cube speakers into.

A USB hub will not run the Cube USB speakers they have to be plugged into the Cube or into an Apple display, but it should run a keyboard. The hub may need to be powered...

If you attach the iMic, you get new options in your Sound Control Panel. You will have to manually choose the built-in audio or the new "USB Audio" option which is the iMic. When you switch the audio in the Control Panel the sound switches.

-Doug

kingturd  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2001, 08:52 AM

Thanks, that's what I needed to know about the iMic.

The USB Hub is powered, but for some reason it won't run the keyboard. Right now I just have it connected to one of the keyboard USB ports. It's powered so that eliminates the low power situation with the keyboard ports. It seems to work good.

Thanks!

<yanges>
Aug 25, 2001, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by proluck:
<STRONG>Slightly related, I'm wondering what if you don't want to use the pro speakers at all? The cube has no other audio out, but through USB, does anyone know of a good solution to go straight to headphones w/ a simple converter?</STRONG>
from what i have heard, you can plug a set of computer speakers into the headphone jack for sound out to a different set of speakers.....

this will disable the Cube speakers though....

yanges

<proluck>
Sep 26, 2001, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by &lt;yanges&gt;:
<STRONG>

from what i have heard, you can plug a set of computer speakers into the headphone jack for sound out to a different set of speakers.....

this will disable the Cube speakers though....

yanges
</STRONG>
BUT you then need the apple speakers there!!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules