Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Sleep Button Fell Out

Sleep Button Fell Out
jvr2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2010, 09:11 PM

My sleep button on my iPhone 3GS fell out today...so weird. I was using it as always and the last time it was there was when I brought it back from sleep outside of a Best Buy when a family asked me for directions and I used google maps. When walking away from them went to put phone to sleep and couldn't! The button was just gone lol. A whole is there now. I can still put it to sleep by pressing my nail in the whole.

Made an appointment for the Apple Store tomorrow. No idea what they will do. Has anyone had this happen before?

I'd post a pic if I knew how.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2010, 09:56 PM

Even a sleep button needs to take time off, now and then. But a picture would be really nice!

Let us know what happens with the Apple Store!

and welcome to the forums!

jvr2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2010, 10:05 PM

Uploaded photo.

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 01:37 AM

Ah! Gone on walkabout!

jvr2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2010, 03:40 PM

Got a new phone. I actually had to go to two different Apple stores cause the first one didn't have any 32gb white iPhones in stock. Both stores claimed they had never seen this happen before, the Soho store said they saw the volume switch coming off previously but not this.

Anyway...I first went to an Apple store in the mall in Jersey. This one looked at my phone and was obviously trying to find any damage that I had done to it so they could claim not fixing it. I usually go to the 14th Street or Soho stores in Manhattan and they never really look at what I brought in, just swap it out for a new one or take it to be fixed (iPhone 3G and Macbook previously). Good thing I keep that clear case on it at all times and my back was pristine.

She did say the water strip for the outside bottom port had been tripped indicating water damage (no idea how that happened but most likely from me taking my phone out in the rain while walking to work, wont be doing that anymore.) She saw this by just looking in the bottom port, the top was ok probably cause I always have the headphones in the jack. She told me she would have to open the phone up and look at the inside sensor, I wasn't worried cause I've never dropped it in water or anything, was sure the inside would be fine. She also played with my phone to see if it worked ok, guess trying to make sure I wasn't trying to get a new phone cause I screwed mine up by dropping it in the toilet lol. I was thinking, what does that have to do with my button being gone lol, I didn't say my phone was acting up, it worked fine and frankly I was scared to get a new one cause I might encounter problems with it (specifically the GPS chip, mines worked great). She came back like 5 minutes later and said the sensor inside was fine and the technician in the back couldn't see anything wrong with the phone and since there wasn't any damage to the phone they would replace it.

They didn't have my phone however, lol, so she offered to order it but I was like na, I can just go to any store in Manhattan and they will have one, I work over there and am always over there. While walking out I checked to see if 14th street or Soho had any openings not expecting any cause they are always packed but Soho was free just an hour and a half from then so I booked it and went there.

The guy at the Soho store saw my button was missing, didn't look at my phone at all and said I'll give you another one. Was out of there in half hour. I'm restoring from my backup as I type this. End of story.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2010, 04:07 PM

Good thing you got it fixed. Apple is being sued for denying repairs based on tripped sensors when the users claim they were never wet.

I thought yesterday that my sleep button was stuck in, but it was an illusion. I use the phone a LOT and it's only about 7 months old. I should probably just go in on the 3rd week of the 11th month and try to get a new phone just to be safe.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2010, 04:14 PM

I often think my sleep button is stuck, but it’s usually just my own butterfingers that keep missing. (That goes for the, uh, whatever-the-big-round-button’s-called button as well, by the way)

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2010, 04:35 PM

Glad it worked out for you, all's well in the Apple world.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Good thing you got it fixed. Apple is being sued for denying repairs based on tripped sensors when the users claim they were never wet.
A customer would never lie to try and get warranty coverage on accidental damage.

I'm not claiming the sensors are perfect, but you can bet your ass that  thoroughly tested them and knows exactly how many false positives are being produced (if any).

jvr2  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2010, 06:13 PM

I really have no idea how my bottom one got tripped. That's why my best bet is rain but its not like I stood outside with my phone in the air lol so even that is flimsy to set this off. Happy she opened it and looked inside to see that it hadn't been submerged in water and there was no internal damage to the phone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules