Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Retail Store Question

Apple Retail Store Question
kingturd
Forum Regular
May 21, 2002, 09:40 PM

I will most likely be purchasing a PowerBook for the upcoming semester of college, but like most people, I'll be waiting until after MWNY just to be safe. I also enjoy taking advantage of Apple's excellent educational discounts, which leads me to my question. Is it possible to purchase an Apple product (i.e. PowerBook) from an Apple Retail Store and present a student ID to receive an educational discount? Or are educational discounts for online orders only?

RGB
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by kingturd:
<STRONG>I will most likely be purchasing a PowerBook for the upcoming semester of college, but like most people, I'll be waiting until after MWNY just to be safe. I also enjoy taking advantage of Apple's excellent educational discounts, which leads me to my question. Is it possible to purchase an Apple product (i.e. PowerBook) from an Apple Retail Store and present a student ID to receive an educational discount? Or are educational discounts for online orders only?</STRONG>
I asked a Sales Rep. there several months ago and was told that such a purchase is not possible. All they can do is guide you through a purchase online via one of the computers. I can only assume this is because the store for education is considered to be a separate store?

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2002, 07:55 AM

<STRONG>I will most likely be purchasing a PowerBook for the upcoming semester of college, but like most people, I'll be waiting until after MWNY just to be safe. I also enjoy taking advantage of Apple's excellent educational discounts, which leads me to my question. Is it possible to purchase an Apple product (i.e. PowerBook) from an Apple Retail Store and present a student ID to receive an educational discount? Or are educational discounts for online orders only?</STRONG>
Education Individual discounts are now available at Apple Retail Stores. You will be asked for a form of I.D. that identifies you as an education individual.

kingturd  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2002, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by BoarderX:
<STRONG>

Education Individual discounts are now available at Apple Retail Stores. You will be asked for a form of I.D. that identifies you as an education individual.</STRONG>
SWEET
I don't suppose you could tell me where you got the info? Not to doubt you or anything, I just want to be sure.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2002, 06:21 PM

<STRONG>

SWEET
I don't suppose you could tell me where you got the info? Not to doubt you or anything, I just want to be sure.</STRONG>
Probably the same way i found out the same news; by asking the staff at the store.

Be aware, though, they can't offer all the discounts that the online store offers. But if you are going to get the newly-introduced model I suppose there would be no discount anyway.

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2002, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
<STRONG>

Probably the same way i found out the same news; by asking the staff at the store.

Be aware, though, they can't offer all the discounts that the online store offers. But if you are going to get the newly-introduced model I suppose there would be no discount anyway. </STRONG>
Not quite the same way. It used to be that Apple Retail Stores couldn't offer education discounts. This is a fairly new policy. If you have any doubts, call you local Apple Retail Store (phone numbers on each store's webpage. Example: Lenox Square )

(Not sure about how the discounts compare to the online store. Ask the Mac Genuses or Store Management.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules