Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your reading habits

Your reading habits
Tiresias
Jun 15, 2007, 09:56 AM

I am ashamed to say, I didn't finish a novel until I was 16 (Nabokov read War and Peace at 11!). But now, I read about six books a month, and it has totally turned my life around! Not to get carried away or anything, but I believe reading literature is the solution to all the world's problems.

What about you? With all the other media out there, how much time to you devote to that humanizing, edifying, intellectually and morally ameliorating activity of reading? How many books do you read a year? (You may wish to break it down differently, i.e., per month, week, etc., and specify which books).

And just to kick things off, my two favourite quotes on reading:

The reading of good books is like a conversation with the best men of past centuries—in fact like a prepared conversation, in which they reveal only the best of their thoughts.
—Rene Descartes, Les Discours de la methode (1637) pt. 1.
Books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
—John Milton, Areopagitica (1644).

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 09:57 AM

I'm back to reading a decent amount, after taking last summer off.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 15, 2007, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'm back to reading a decent amount, after taking last summer off.
Not big on specificity, I take it.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 10:04 AM

I'd give you numbers if I could but my reading has been sporadic. Some books intrigue me and I go through them in a week. Others are mediocre, so I lazily make my way through them over a month.

So far I've read like 3-5 books this year, but I've been by no means as ambitious (or intrigued) as usual.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 15, 2007, 10:16 AM

I commit all my commuting time to reading, but at the moment that's only 45mins total (on the London tube) each day. Over the last three months I've gotten through Murakami's collection and it's awesome stuff - perfect for taking you to a more dream like/thoughtful place!

I'd like to read more, but I think it's important to have your own context for things, so most evenings/weekends I like to be out and about trying to experience everything my friends/London has to offer. (Although Sunday mornings are generally used for newspaper time.)

I believe reading literature is the solution to all the world's problems.
Not sure about that one as reading could be seen as another form of escapism?! Depends on your existing mindset surely..? One quote comes to mind:

"If knowledge is to talk, wisdom is to listen." - Do you read to be able to talk, or to be able to listen?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 15, 2007, 10:33 AM

Textbooks, textbooks and more textbooks. Fortunately the summer semester's load is pretty light.

If I weren't in school, I'd be reading pretty much constantly. Mostly fiction (good SF if I can find it) with some interesting nonfiction (history, science, etc.) thrown in for balance.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 11:20 AM

Industry mags. Society mags (*not* Hello! and that crap - the proper ones).

I find that reading novels is a complete waste of time - I'd rather go live for real rather than vicariously.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I find that reading novels is a complete waste of time - I'd rather go live for real rather than vicariously.
Does the same go for TV and Movies as well?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 11:28 AM

Does the same go for TV and Movies as well?
TV and movies aren't so much of a waste of time.

I don't have a TV, so all TV viewing is done on the 'puter. TV in one window, NN in another window, work in another window. Multitasking FTW.

Movies are the same, unless I have company. In which case it's never a waste of time 'coz of cuddles.

Reading, by its very nature, is very solitary and consuming.

YMMV.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 11:32 AM

I read a book a week, depending upon how much fiber I've eaten.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 11:33 AM

TV and movies aren't so much of a waste of time.

I don't have a TV, so all TV viewing is done on the 'puter. TV in one window, NN in another window, work in another window. Multitasking FTW.

Movies are the same, unless I have company. In which case it's never a waste of time 'coz of cuddles.

Reading, by its very nature, is very solitary and consuming.

YMMV.
Well, I suppose it depends on when you read. I usually do so before bed, so its not like I'm actually sacrificing social time. But yeah, I'm not heading to the cafe every night to sit alone and read.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2007, 11:38 AM

I've been an avid reader for most of my life. I go through dry spells, but I do pretty good for the most part.

I started reading a lot around the age of 8. It wasn't anything intelligent. I read stuff like Hardy Boys, Encyclopedia Brown, Chronicles of Narnia, etc.

I really like learning about religion. So I enjoy reading the Bible. I'm working on some works by Ghandi right now. I really enjoyed what I read of the Ramayana. I read a lot of C.S. Lewis' works (apart from the Chronicles of Narnia) as a teenager. My next goal is to pick up some works by Mother Theresa.

I also just finished a book called "Only Road North" a true story about a guy, his brother and his friend that took a motor cycle trip through all of Africa. At the end of the trip they are in Cairo and a suicide bomber detonates and critically injures him and his friend and kills his brother. It's a great story of friendship, adventure, brotherhood and struggling to find G-D's purpose in darkness. It's really good and I highly recommend it. The young man who wrote it has fully recovered and is being readmitted into the Air Force Academy.

I also am working on nobel peace prize winner Muhammad Yunus book "Banker to the Poor". It's a book about his attempts to help relieve poverty in his nation through micro fiance. This is an intriguing book and one that I highly recommend as well.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 11:40 AM

Well, I suppose it depends on when you read. I usually do so before bed, so its not like I'm actually sacrificing social time. But yeah, I'm not heading to the cafe every night to sit alone and read.
There's this one guy I used to know, big bookworm. I'm giving him a lift somewhere at dusk and we crest the brow of a hill to the most awesome sunset. I'm like "look. at. that." and he's sitting there totally nonplussed. Yet when he reads about an awesome sunset, he's excited.

I don't get it, or people like him, at all.

It's like, who the hell sits on a beach and reads? Can't you do that in your back yard and leave the beach free for those of us who want to play frisbee/footie and look at totty?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 11:42 AM

There's this one guy I used to know, big bookworm. I'm giving him a lift somewhere at dusk and we crest the brow of a hill to the most awesome sunset. I'm like "look. at. that." and he's sitting there totally nonplussed. Yet when he reads about an awesome sunset, he's excited.

I don't get it, or people like him, at all.
I'm not sure anyone does.

It's like, who the hell sits on a beach and reads? Can't you do that in your back yard and leave the beach free for those of us who want to play frisbee/footie and look at totty?
Nicer weather, change of scenery, and in most cases I doubt that's all they do.

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2007, 11:43 AM

Oh I forgot to add one of my favorites. I LOVE Paradise Lost by John Milton. I have a copy from about 1780ish.

I'm not sure anyone does.
QFT

I like to read on the beach when I'm on vacation. That's hardly all I do. However, I like to appreciate the sound of the waves, a nice sunset, the sand on my feet while I'm reading a book. I don't think that's strange.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 11:47 AM

I've always loved to to read. I have ADD, so I have worked out a system that allows me to continuously read without becoming bored with one book. All at once I read one nonfiction book, one classic novel, one spiritual book, and one other book that can be from any category. It takes longer to get through them when I work through 4 at a time, but it's the only way I can keep myself interested.

The wife is threatening to throw the ones away that I leave laying around my night stand.

[EDIT] My second year in college, I bought 127 books in a 9-month span. I'm still working through some of those. I don't know what got into me.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 11:49 AM

I haven't been reading as much as I'd like, or as much as I used to lately, but normally I'd read a book every month or so.
I keep buying them when they come out intending to get to them. Maybe I'll start one tomorrow.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've always loved to to read. I have ADD, so I have worked out a system that allows me to continuously read without becoming bored with one book. All at once I read one nonfiction book, one classic novel, one spiritual book, and one other book that can be from any category. It takes longer to get through them when I work through 4 at a time, but it's the only way I can keep myself interested.
Christ, I hope you have a good memory. I can't stand reading to plots at once.

Edit: This explains your storied console history.
[EDIT] My second year in college, I bought 127 books in a 9-month span. I'm still working through some of those. I don't know what got into me.
I probably dropped $100 - $200 on books one summer when I got to a big-ass B&N, then promptly stopped reading after a book or two.

I actually added to the collection a little bit before I started reading again.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Maybe I'll start one tomorrow.
Least convincing sentence possible.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007, 12:03 PM

At any given time, I'm typically reading from three books. The first of which is a typically novel of some kind. Something written in contemporary language that I can comprehend without really thinking much. I like my second book to be of a broad therorthetical/factual nature. Something not a dense as a text-book, but interesting and stimulating. A text-book is my third, something I'll study and take notes from. You know, for further personal advancement. On a given day I don’t always read from each; It just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

I'm not into watching TV much anymore. My apartment only has basic cable and I can't stand commercials. I enjoy movies though.
( Last edited by CollinG3G4; Jun 15, 2007 at 12:09 PM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 12:04 PM

I'll pick up reading again when Harry Potter comes out.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 12:29 PM

I used to read constantly. I wasn't allowed to watch TV when I was a kid, so I read a lot. If I ever do reproduce, I'm going to make my kids read - it increases vocabulary, ability to concentrate, comprehension of the English language, grammatical skills, etc.

I don't read anymore. I watched loads of TV in college and it's fried my brain. Now all I do when I come home is watch more TV (and playing my Wii when it arrives this afternoon ).

I do re-read the Harry Potter books once in awhile...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2007, 12:59 PM

I like to read and always have a book on the go, be it science, philosophy or fiction. I have no idea how many books over what time, I don't keep track of that kind of thing.

I love old bookstores too and I can't help buying books. My girlfriends the same. We are running out of space to keep them all.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 01:52 PM

I used to read non-stop when I was younger (I finished my first book when I was three), but school's been keeping me busy. On the off-chance that I'm not either at work, in class, doing homework, out with friends, asleep, or working on Paintbrush, my brain is often too fried to read. When I do, though, I'm a huge fan of the classics, particularly the ones that leave you going "WTF" at the end. Catch-22 FTW!

Right now I'm about twenty pages into Sinclair's The Jungle. I should get back to work on that...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 01:54 PM

This thread reminded me to order Issola, so I did.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 02:45 PM

I've always like to read, although I go in bursts. I read almost exclusively non-fiction, and right now I'm reading Taken For A Ride, by Bill Vlasic & Bradley Steertz. It's about the so-called merger between Daimler and Chrysler, and it's actually a good read. One of the mods here recommended it in a previous thread. I'm getting ready to get into Target Iran by Scott Ritter.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 04:48 PM

Lately my reading habits consist of tech manuals and Japanese textbooks (+ one Curious George book in Japanese). It's time for a good book or two. I have the collected works of Hunter Thompson I may dig into this summer.

Last year I read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the millionth time, and read a beautiful edition of LOTR straight through. Hooked on phonics worked for me.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 05:46 PM

My reading habits:

When MacNN goes down, I shut myself in my kitchen pantry and eat a family-size bag of Doritos, in the dark.

Okay, seriously, most of the reading that I do is on the weekend. I try to get out of the house at least one day of the weekend and go a park, or a coffee shop, or somewhere and read. Most of the stuff I read are free books that I borrow from work -- foreign policy stuff.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 11:46 PM

Christ, I hope you have a good memory. I can't stand reading to plots at once.
I have selective memory. When it comes to books, movie quotes, and anything else I care about, then I'll remember. I forget people's names literally within 10 seconds of being introduced.

Edit: This explains your storied console history.
Exactly.

Idea: why don't people post their favorite books as well? In no particular order...

1. East of Eden
2. Lord of the Flies
3. The New Foxes Book of Martyrs
4. A Good Walk Spoiled (John Feinstein)
5. John Adams (David McCullough)
6. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
7. When Character Was King (Peggy Noonan)
8. Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades (Clinton Heylin)

Not the most original of selections, but I'm not ashamed. I'm also a big fan of John Keats.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 16, 2007, 12:32 AM

1. East of Eden
Great book.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Great book.
My favorite by far.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 16, 2007, 01:28 AM

Here are some of mine (in no particular order):

Ulysses, James Joyce
Labyrinths, Jorge Luis Borges
Speak, Memory, Vladimir Nabokov
Pale Fire, Vladimir Nabokov
The Real Life of Sebastian Knight, Vladimir Nabokov
Hamlet, William Shakespeare
Macbeth, William Shakespeare
The Castle, Franz Kafka
Moby Dick, Herman Melville
The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner
The Man Without Qualities, Robert Musil
Junky, W. S. Burroughs
The Ticket That Exploded, W. S. Burroughs
The Unnamable, Samuel Beckett
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
Foucault's Pendulum, Umberto Eco
A Farewell to Arms, Hemingway
Beauty and Sadness, Yasunari Kawabata
Short Stories, Edgar Allan Poe
Nausea, Sartre
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Hamlet, William Shakespeare
In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
A Farewell to Arms, Hemingway
Short Stories, Edgar Allan Poe
The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 16, 2007, 02:27 AM

Have you ever seen Kenneth Branagh's adaptation of Hamlet?

I haven't, but it's meant to be damn good.

YouTube has these two snippets (If you only watch one, watch IV, iv. Gives me chills).

Enjoy.

Act 3, Scene 1
Act 4, Scene 4

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 02:47 PM

I haven't seen that one before. I have the Mel Gibson one (okay), and I've seen a few old ones, but never Branagh's. Not bad stuff. If they have it here, I'll try to rent it.

Thanks for the link.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Uriel
I really like learning about religion. So I enjoy reading the Bible. […] My next goal is to pick up some works by Mother Theresa. […] It's a great story of friendship, adventure, brotherhood and struggling to find G-D's purpose in darkness.
No offence, but if you really want to learn about religion, you'd do well to expand your reading list to encompass a far broader and deeper scope than Christianity and Hinduism.

Right Hand Path theists constantly fall into the habit of confusing the study of religion with the study of their religion. Not good.

If you're interested in some more serious study, here's the Temple of Set reading list on religion and dæmonology in historical perspective:

[test]3A. Religion in Ancient History by S.G.F. Brandon. NY: Charles Scribner's
Sons, 1969. (TS-3) MA: "This book is worth chasing down through a library.
It consists of 25 essays on such topics as the soul, national religions, the
Devil, life after death, Dualism, Jewish history to 70 CE, early Christian
mythology, Time as God and Devil, origins of religion, the Akhenaten period,
early Christian Gnosticism, and angels. Author a Professor of Comparative
Religions at Manchester University."

3B. The History of the Devil by Paul Carus. NY: Land's End Press, 1969
(paperback reprint 1974 by Open Court). (TS-1) MA: "Still the standard
reference work on the topic, containing chapters on the devils and daemons
of many cultures from antiquity to the present. Included are many perceptive
observations on the concept of 'evil' in human behavior. In his
Confessions Aleister Crowley remarked: 'Carus had always interested me as
being widely learned, yet understanding so little. After meeting him, I
decided that I liked him for it.'"

3C. Christian Mythology by George Every. NY: Hamlyn Publishing Group,
1970. (TS-3) MA: "Another in the Hamlyn mythology series [see #2A], updated
& reissued in 1986 by Peter Bedrick Books. It exposes the origins and
adaptations of Christianity and includes a number of later legends quite at
odds with the Bible. The author's comments on the psychological need for
specific myth-types are quite illuminating. The book is neither pro nor con
- merely analytical. Hence it is an excellent source of data for dialogues
with Christians; you can respond to theological issues on a historical
rather than on an emotional, dogmatic, or aesthetic basis."

3D. The Romance of Sorcery by Sax Rohmer. NY: Causeway Books, 1973. (TS-3)
MA: "Better known as the author of the Fu Manchu novels [fun to read if
you're into 1890's 'Yellow Peril' themes and heroines who faint a lot],
Rohmer was also an initiate of the Golden Dawn who dreamed of writing an
authoritative commentary on the occult. This book was the result - an
empathetic but not-uncritical profile of history's prominent sorcerers,
including Apollonius, Nostradamus, Dee, Cagliostro, Blavatsky, and Francis
Barrett. Written in 1913 and especially commended by Harry Houdini."

3E. Secret Societies by Norman MacKenzie (Ed.). NY: Crescent Books, 1968.
(TS-3) MA: "While not as extensive as #3F, this book has the advantages of
being relatively current and attractively illustrated. Chapters on the
Mafia, Ku Klux Klan, Chinese Triads, Freemasons, Knights Templar, Thugs,
Rosicrucians, etc. Well-researched and very readable. Three initiatory
rituals (KKK, Mafia, and Masonic) are appended."

3F. The Secret Societies of All Ages and Countries (two volumes) by
Charles William Heckethorn. New Hyde Park: University Books, 1965. (TS-3)
MA: "Written in 1875 and revised in 1897, this remains the major work on the
topic. It does full justice to its ambitious title. In addition to
discussing the characteristics of secret societies per se, Heckethorn
includes comments on the clandestine operations of supposedly above-ground
organizations (such as the Jesuits). Literally hundreds of groups are
covered. If nothing else, it will leave you with the impression that there
have been quite a number of sneaky people around."

3G. The Magic Makers by David Carroll. NY: Signet #E-6556, 1974. (TS-3)
MA: "This little paperback covers somewhat the same ground as #3D and #4C,
with the advantage of being less dated. There are chapters dealing with the
reality of magic, the magical universe, the interrelationship of magic and
science, and the national magical practices of Egypt, Israel, Greece, and
Rome. Individual magicians profiled include Apollonius, Dee & Kelly,
Cagliostro, Saint Germain, Agrippa, and Faust."

3H. The Secret Societies of All Ages by Manly Palmer Hall. Hollywood:
Philosophical Research Society, 1928. (TS-4) MA: "Available in a variety of
sizes and pricetags, this book contains 45 chapters on just about everything
remotely connected with the Rosicrucian/Masonic tradition. Hence there is
considerable material on Egypt, the Pythagoreans, Atlantis, the Cabala, etc.
It is admittedly a treasure-house of sorts, but the intelligent reader will
note an abundance of unsupported speculation. There are no footnotes,
bibliographical references, or documentary attributions. Accordingly this
volume is best used as an introduction to interesting areas of study rather
than as a definitive text concerning them. It [particularly the larger/more
expensive editions] looks nice on a coffee-table. The biggest one (Golden
Anniversary monster edition) is heavy enough so that you can bash a rat with
it and be reasonably assured he's now a two-dimensional rat. The information
in this book is also handy for confusing [equates to impressing] Masons and
Rosicrucians whose cages you want to rattle. [If YOU want to understand what
Freemasonry and Rosicrucianism are all about, your best bet is #3E.]"

3I. Encyclopedia of Occultism by Lewis Spence. New Hyde Park: University
Books, 1960 (originally published 1920). (TS-3) MA: "There are three
'occult' encyclopaedias on this reading list, the others being #4E and #4F.
Although dated, this one is extremely well researched, objective, and
thorough. Its companion volume, Nandor Fodor's Encyclopedia of Psychic
Science
, is less likely to be of interest or practical value. Before
acquiring a copy of #3I, consider whether #4E, which reprints extensively
from it, will suffice for your needs and interests."

3J. The Occult Sciences in the Renaissance by Wayne Shumaker. Berkeley:
University of California Press, 1972. (TS-3) MA: "Shumaker is Professor of
English at U.C. Berkeley. This definitive work includes sections on
astrology, witchcraft, White Magic, alchemy, and Hermes Trismegistus -
painstakingly footnoted and with thoughtful critical analyses. 'The analyst
does not take for granted the necessary existence of truth, much less of
profound, forgotten wisdom in any of the systems, but treats them
objectively as historical efforts to understand the world in which man is
placed and to use his knowledge for human purposes.' [See also #3N.]"

3K. The Dark Side of History: Magic in the Making of Man by Michael
Edwardes. NY: Stein & Day, 1977. (TS-3) MA: "A fascinating investigation by
a Professor of History and Political Science into the roles of magic in
major social movements of history - from Mesopotamia to the French
Revolution to Maoist China. This might be considered a reflective essay
rather than a documentary analysis, but Edwardes' work is a commendable
effort towards bridging the gap of ignorance/embarrassment that usually
separates magic from the social sciences. Not as much fun to read as #4B,
perhaps; but one doesn't feel quite so far out on a limb either."

3L. The Western Mystical Tradition by Thomas Katsaros and Nathaniel
Kaplan. New Haven, Conn.: College & University Press, 1969. (TS-3) MA: "A
very good history of mysticism from Hellenic Greece onwards. Offers the
'mystical perspectives' of many of the philosophers whose more materialistic
concepts are treated in tomes such as #16A."

3M. A History of Magic and Experimental Science by Lynn Thorndike. NY:
Columbia University Press, 1923 (eight volumes). (TS-4) MA: "Frazier's
Golden Bough - which would seem to be an inevitable component of a reading
list such as this - was ultimately not included because its focus on
mythology as such (i.e. as an essentially anthropological phenomenon) offers
no thesis which is usable by magicians. 'Magic,' said Frazier in an oft-
quoted passage, 'is science that doesn't work.' Since Black Magic as defined
by the Temple of Set does work, and since we are not interested in
variations that don't work, we seek more illuminating histories to trace its
development. Thorndike's is one such. In this massive work he shows the
complex interrelationships between the magical, the scientific, and the
philosophical from the time of ancient Egypt to the 17th century CE - after
which the influence of materialism and logical positivism acted to suppress
both magic and philosophy in favor of an all-embracing scientific method.
Like the unabridged Golden Bough, Thorndike's opus is usually to be found
only in major libraries. You should be aware of its existence for advanced
research purposes."

3N. Pythagorean Palaces: Magic and Architecture in the Italian Renaissance
by G.L. Hersey. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, 1976. (TS-4) MA:
"According to Pythagorean philosophy, numbers and proportions possess
quality as well as quantity, and the elements of architecture approach
excellence as they maximize incorporation of these elements of quality. In
this book Hersey, Professor of Art History at Yale University, analyzes
several Italian Renaissance buildings according to the Pythagorean standards
employed by their architects. [See also category #12 in general, as well as
#3J. See also #6O for observations concerning architecture which is
conspicuously lacking in Pythagorean excellence.]"

3O. A History of Secret Societies by Arkon Daraul. NY: Citadel Press,
1961. (TS-3) (CS-3) AL: "A fine essay on the subject, with objectivity and
much attention to detail." MA: "This survey includes chapters on such groups
as the Order of the Peacock Angel (Yezidi), Knights Templar, Assassins,
Sufis, Gnostics, Castrators, Vehm, Rosicrucians, and of course the Masters
of the Himalayas. Used by the early Church of Satan as a source document for
appropriate magical and ritual material. No documentation is offered, so
this book is best considered at face value."

3P. Futhark: A Handbook of Rune Magic by Edred Thorsson. York Beach,
Maine: Samuel Weiser, 1984. (TS-3) (OT-1) MA: "Quite simply, the most
authoritative and accurate introductory work on Runes and Rune magic.
Futhark culminates the author's ten-year study of Germanic religious and
magical traditions. Included are Rune history & lore, mystical and
metaphysical analyses of Rune concepts, complete definitions of the 24 Runes
of the Elder Futhark, and the etymology, phonetic value, and interpretation
of each Rune. The reader is shown how to perform chants and rituals using
Runic energy, magical tools, and attire; how to sign and send Runes; and how
to employ them for meditation. Thorsson (Stephen E. Flowers) is a Magister
Templi IV*, Grand Master of the Order of the Trapezoid, and founder of the
Rune-Gild. He holds the M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Comparative Mythology and
Religion from the University of Texas, and is fluent in German, Old Norse,
and Old English dialects. [See also #3S & #3U.]"

3Q. The Lost Key to Prediction: The Arabic Parts in Astrology by Robert
Zoller. NY: Inner Traditions, 1980. (TS-3) MA: "The first part of this book
is an exacting examination into the philosophical and metaphysical bases for
astrological theory, resulting in the author's postulate that the true
astrologer deals 'with the material globes in astrology only insofar as they
are used to time the movements of the inner "planets" and "stars" that lie
hidden at the center of man's being'. Part Two consists of Zoller's
translation of a 13th-century Latin astrological text by Guido Bonatti. In
Part Three Zoller applies Bonatti's concepts to the construction of
horoscopes. One of the most sophisticated conceptual studies of astrology
yet penned. Reviewed in detail in Runes #III-1. The excellent bibliography
is supplemented by extensive notes. The author is an ex-Adept II* of the
Temple of Set and a practicing astrologer. [See also his review of #3T,
described in that entry.]"

3R. Larousse Encyclopedia of World Mythology by Pierre Grimal (Ed.). NY:
Excalibur Books, 1981. (TS-3) MA: "As the title indicates, this is the
'mythology' volume in the Larousse series of encyclopaedias. 550 pages - in
fine print - jammed with information. Note that this book focuses on
mythology, not on occultism, so it is more descriptive of systems [from an
archaeological/anthropological/sociological point of view] than analytical
concerning their various merits, drawbacks, substance, etc. The editor is a
Professor at the Sorbonne in France."

3S. Runes and Magic: Magical Formulaic Elements in the Older Runic
Tradition
by Stephen E. Flowers. NY: Peter E. Lang (American University
Studies/Series I: Germanic Languages & Literature, Vol. 53), 1986. $57.00.
(TS-4) (OT-4) Flowers: "The purpose of this study is manifold. First, it
represents an attempt to place the problem of runes and magic in the context
of the most recent ideas on the problem of magic in general. Here magical
theory will be approached from the viewpoint of a 'linguistic model' and as
a representation of a communicative relationship, rather than from what have
become barren ideas of nebulous numerological computations and the like. The
possible relationship between runes and magic is evaluated on the foundation
of linguistically and formally based formulaic models, all of which have
been material problems of runology over the past hundred years. Sound
runological evidence has been the standard basis through which magical or
operant aspects have been approached. Second, any rune-magic which might be
deduced is placed, as far as possible, within the context of a general
understanding of 'magical thought' in the Germanic world. Third, an attempt
has been made to develop an explanation of the runic phenomenon which takes
into account the social realities of those times. The social context of the
runic tradition - as nearly as we can determine it - may yield information
which is useful in order to ascertain the nature of that tradition, as well
as that of the society in which it thrived. Fourth, I have made a final
effort to evaluate the possibilities for the establishment of a general
theory of the use of runes in magical operations." [See also #3P & #3U.]"

3T. The Serpent and the Rainbow by Wade E. Davis. NY: Warner Books #0-446-
34387-0, 1987. (TS-3) MA: "This is the book explaining the Voodoo system of
Haiti and the manner in which zombis are actually created - not by
supernatural means, but by the secret use of poisons. The book is based upon
field research by the author, who holds undergraduate degrees from Harvard
University in Ethnobotany and Biology, and more recently a Ph.D. in
Ethnobotany. #3T is reviewed in detail by Adept Robert Zoller (author of
#3Q) in Scroll of Set #XII-3, June XXI."

3U. Runelore by Edred Thorsson. York Beach, Maine: Samuel Weiser, 1987.
(TS-3) (OT-3) Flowers: "This book is intended to supplement the practical
material found in my Futhark (#3P). In these pages the more intellectual
aspects of the runes - their history and development and their esoteric lore
- will be investigated. It is hoped that through this work I can begin to
dispel most of the misconceptions fostered by recent books that purport to
explore the runic tradition. Runelore incorporates into a system of living
philosophy and practice the latest and best scientific scholarship of
runologists from all over the world. The method used in the present book is
essentially one of intuition firmly based on hard scientific data. This is a
method that I hope will continue to find wide acceptance. As it stands,
Runelore is the basic textbook for members of the Rune-Gild, but I trust
it will strike a responsive chord in all who seek to unravel the riddle of
the runes."

3V. The Books of the Beast by Timothy d'Arch Smith. London: Crucible
(Aquarian Press/Thorsons Publishing Group, 1987. (TS-4) MA: "This is a 126-
page, high-quality paperback collection of essays on Aleister Crowley,
Montague Summers, Ralph Nicholas Chubb, Francis Barrett (author of The
Magus, the book which revived an interest in sorcery & ceremonial magic in
19th-century England), Florence Farr (author of #10I), and the British
Library's catalogue of erotica. This collection is cited here because of
some interesting anecdotes it contains re Crowley, Summers, Barrett, and
Farr. If you are interested in one or more of them, you might enjoy this
book as a 'casual read'. But I would not consider it essential."[/test]

It's not a bad list, for starters.

Tiresias  (op)
Jun 17, 2007, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
3B. The History of the Devil by Paul Carus. NY: Land's End Press, 1969
(paperback reprint 1974 by Open Court). (TS-1) MA: "Still the standard
reference work on the topic, containing chapters on the devils and daemons
of many cultures from antiquity to the present. Included are many perceptive
observations on the concept of 'evil' in human behavior. In his
Confessions Aleister Crowley remarked: 'Carus had always interested me as
being widely learned, yet understanding so little. After meeting him, I
decided that I liked him for it.'"
That sounds like an interesting books. It's going on my to-read list. (Don't care for the Crowley endorsement, however. Never liked that ghoulish little upper-class twit.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules