Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Sherlock???

Sherlock???
SaunaMaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 09:08 PM

For some reason, when I click movies and other icons, it just says movies are loading. BUT THEY NEVER COME!!! I am connected to the internet. Also, when I click the channels icon, some of the other icons change languages . What the heck is going on??? Thanks in advance

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 11:00 PM

Yeah, Sherlock is just plain flaky these days with no chance of ever being updated. "Movies" works half the time for me these days. You are better off going to a local news site and getting the information there if possible.

lou91940
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by SaunaMaster
For some reason, when I click movies and other icons, it just says movies are loading. BUT THEY NEVER COME!!! I am connected to the internet. Also, when I click the channels icon, some of the other icons change languages . What the heck is going on??? Thanks in advance
Just by way of curiosity... have you or anyone else using the computer recently changed your keyboard language settings? Or... have you increased the speed of your mouse tracking in the pref settings ?

SaunaMaster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 01:19 AM

I dont think so, if "they" did how would i change it back?

lou91940
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 11:11 AM

A month ago I started having a lot of troubles with Sherlock, the dictionary quit working... foreign languages came up unexpectedly, movies stopped working...etc . I never discovered the cause of it, but one thing I had done previously, for a reason not connected to Sherlock was change the keyboard language settings in the pref settings, and I speeded up the mouse tracking speed to maximum, again in the pref settings. After I slowed the mouse down and got the language back to English default, Sherlock began working correctly again. Maybe it was just coincidence...I went into Apple forums looking for answers but never found them. I do know that my "cure" seems to have held up. System Preferences are entered either at the dock, or at the Apple Icon top right of the screen. Mouse speed is in "Mouse/Keyboard"... languages are in "International", my error may have been in adding to languages in the "Input Menu" of "International". As I said I never found any one who had an answer, but Sherlock is working again.

PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Sep 21, 2005, 12:23 PM

I figured sherlock would just be phased out because of widgets. You can do everything shrlock can and more with widgets, but it does present a problem if you aren't running 10.4.

Originally Posted by lou91940
A month ago I started having a lot of troubles with Sherlock, the dictionary quit working... foreign languages came up unexpectedly, movies stopped working...etc . I never discovered the cause of it, but one thing I had done previously, for a reason not connected to Sherlock was change the keyboard language settings in the pref settings, and I speeded up the mouse tracking speed to maximum, again in the pref settings. After I slowed the mouse down and got the language back to English default, Sherlock began working correctly again. Maybe it was just coincidence...I went into Apple forums looking for answers but never found them. I do know that my "cure" seems to have held up. System Preferences are entered either at the dock, or at the Apple Icon top right of the screen. Mouse speed is in "Mouse/Keyboard"... languages are in "International", my error may have been in adding to languages in the "Input Menu" of "International". As I said I never found any one who had an answer, but Sherlock is working again.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 01:25 PM

1. Shut down Sherlock
2. Clear the Sherlock cache by deleting ~\Library\Caches\Sherlock
3. Restart Sherlock.

OAW

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by OAW
1. Shut down Sherlock
2. Clear the Sherlock cache by deleting ~\Library\Caches\Sherlock
3. Restart Sherlock.

OAW
That sometimes helps, sometimes doesn't. More often than not, it doesn't help.

lou91940
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2005, 09:35 PM

>>System Preferences are entered either at the dock, or at the Apple Icon top right of the screen.<<<

that was embarrasing..., meant top left of screen. Anyhow i'm using a G5 iMac and OS 10.4.2. I like Sherlock and when I got my G5 I ported over all my settings including apps.and Sherlock.
After Sherlock I got working again for me, i wondered if because the mouse and languages both go through the keyboard, that my "cure" might somehow be connected, because i had changed both the input language and mouse speed. The other "cure" of dumping the Sherlock cache and pref. file was only ever a temp. fix because the problems would start up again, at least for me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules