Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Utility Cloning of a Startup Drive to a Different Class of Mac

Disk Utility Cloning of a Startup Drive to a Different Class of Mac
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 05:03 PM

Q: Can Disk Utility be used to successfully clone a startup disk from one Mac to a totally different class of Mac without shortcomings (misconfigured files, missing system files, glitches, etc.)? And how much of a difference will it make if the source drive's OS is a machine specific factory image?

Scenario/Background: I plan to use Migration Assistant to copy the contents of the G5 to the new mini. Once I bring the G5 back, I would need to sync the newly created/modified files back to the G5. Although I have considered something like RsyncX I don't know if I trust it with important data (after reading some things around the web). Other than that the only solutions that come to mind are to either clean install the OS on the G5 and use Migration Assistant again or to clone the drive using Disk Utility (or possibly SuperDuper, but I'd rather use Disk Utility). Cloning the drive would be a shorter process, so I'd go that route if it's advisable. I seem to remember reading that this should work most all of the time, but I also recall that it's a good idea to trash certain cache files after the cloning. Finally, as I referenced above, it seems to me that it may not work well if OS on the mini is a machine specific factory installation.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 22, 2005 at 05:10 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2005, 09:15 PM

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Q: Can Disk Utility be used to successfully clone a startup disk from one Mac to a totally different class of Mac without shortcomings (misconfigured files, missing system files, glitches, etc.)?
I have done this several times. No problems at all, though no guarantees given! Be sure to update the system to be cloned with all updates, especially if it is an older machine than the target machine. You need the hardware support and kernel modules etc for the new system.

1. Boot the system to be cloned in firewire target mode.
2. Connect it to the target system.
3. Boot the target system from the install dvd.
4. Clone the disk using disk utility, cloning from the FW drive to the target drive.

I never understood the need for CCC, since disk utility works well for this job.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2005, 05:38 AM

Thank you so much.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2005, 07:13 PM

Note, this almost always works but there are exceptions. Often when Apple ships new hardware the OS on that hardware is a new build of the current OS version. An example of this is the new iBook line which uses a special build of 10.4.2, which is a later build that ships in the retail packaging and cannot be downloaded via an online update. This special build is to support the scrolling trackpad. You would not be able to take an image of your G5 and use it on a new iBook. When the next OS revision ships it should be universally compatible again. I don't know if the new Mac mini uses special hardware but I would verify that it is running the same OS X build that's on your G5.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2005, 08:23 PM

Thank you for the good point, waffffffle. The cloning did not work out too well - the mini froze at the grey logo, prior to the spinning wait icon's display. It's very possible that the mini does run on a newer build of 10.4.2. That was a concern I had from the outset, but I stupidly did not bother to verify the build number on the mini prior to installation. I'll probably go the SuperDuper route now, after reinstalling the OS.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Sep 25, 2005 at 08:31 PM. )

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Thank you for the good point, waffffffle. The cloning did not work out too well - the mini froze at the grey logo, prior to the spinning wait icon's display. It's very possible that the mini does run on a newer build of 10.4.2. That was a concern I had from the outset, but I stupidly did not bother to verify the build number on the mini prior to installation. I'll probably go the SuperDuper route now, after reinstalling the OS.
I'm sorry it did not work out for you and that I did not make my point clearer. The hardware support for the newer machine must be in place (build numbers synced). The fact that it froze at the grey screen suggests that kernel modules for hardware support is missing or otherwise not working with the hardware.

Well, at least you got to try cloning and know how it's done now. It may come in handy some other time

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2005, 02:04 PM

If you ever manage computer labs, that is the single most useful thing about OS X... EVER! One disk image to deploy onto 5 generations of Macintoshes and Laptops.

Right now I'm managing computer labs of mixed PCs. A different image for every different configuration of PCs. We have something like 15 disk images and it takes over 2 weeks just to image the labs.

At my college, it would take us an hour or so to configure the master image, and then a couple hours to image all three computer labs (100+ Macs) with a mix of iMacs, B&W G3s, eMacs, Graphite G4s, QuickSilvers, and MDDs. Then Remote Desktop to the scanning machines and install the 3rd party SCSI drivers, and we're all set.

An afternoon at max versus over two weeks.

I hate PCs.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
If you ever manage computer labs, that is the single most useful thing about OS X... EVER! One disk image to deploy onto 5 generations of Macintoshes and Laptops.

Right now I'm managing computer labs of mixed PCs. A different image for every different configuration of PCs. We have something like 15 disk images and it takes over 2 weeks just to image the labs.

At my college, it would take us an hour or so to configure the master image, and then a couple hours to image all three computer labs (100+ Macs) with a mix of iMacs, B&W G3s, eMacs, Graphite G4s, QuickSilvers, and MDDs. Then Remote Desktop to the scanning machines and install the 3rd party SCSI drivers, and we're all set.

An afternoon at max versus over two weeks.

I hate PCs.
I have the same experiences. MacOSX and clone mode is in that respect a stroke of genius. Though it probably comes down to the fact that the Mac computer platform as well as the OS is made and maintained by one (great) company.

Most PCs are crap in this respect. Even same modelnumber PCs from same manufacturer (i.e. Dell or Compaq) had different components inside and relied on different third party drivers not present in windows. A mess to set up and re-mirror!! We had to go for the expensive and cumbersone TIVOLI from IBM to keep them up to date and to get mirrors and software installed. PCs sucks in many respects and is a drag to maintain. TOC must be skyhigh compared to macs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules