Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > My First iWebsite... Your Feedback, Please...

My First iWebsite... Your Feedback, Please...
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2006, 07:31 PM

My copy of iLife '06 arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to tear into iWeb. After about 3 hours of use, I love it. Despite warnings from here, it didn't crash on me once during my building of the site you can see here:

http://web.mac.com/echobravo/iWeb

This was on a 1.8 MHz G5 iMac running 10.4.4.

Anyway, I completely redid my son's website. I used to maintain the site for out of town relatives, so they could see the latest pix and keep up to date. Now it's more of a vanity project than anything, since most of our families live here in Phoenix with us.

In any case, I'm pretty proud of the site and would love your feedback. And hey, if I can do this with iWeb, anybody can. My only other web design experience was with Macromedia Contribute.

Talk to me.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2006, 07:39 PM

Excellent job. Well done.

bookofjames
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 12:28 AM

looks really nice! well done. a bit slow tho. bandwidth problems?
book-of-james.com

12" Rev B PwBk (Oct2003)
1GHz | 60GB HDD (4200rpm) | 1.25 GB RAM

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 12:48 AM

Wow, I need iWeb. Nice job!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 01:23 AM

Thanks for sharing.

far200
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 02:08 AM

great job

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 07:59 AM

Thanks everybody. I, too, noticed it's kind of slow. It's just hosted on my iDisk. I'm not sure why it's so slow. Someone in another iWeb thread said the code behind the WYSIWIG is very messy. Could that be a factor?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 08:26 AM

The code that iWeb creates is bloated and horific (Aaggg not inline CSS styles, :run's away: ). It's also been noted that iWeb seams to do an appalling job at optimising the images.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 08:55 AM

Thats pretty impressive, agreed that the loading is slow though, if you have photoshop or another graphics program, try opening up the pictures and resaving them as Save For Web, might get the file sizes down and speed things up.

You've made me want to get iLife 06 now, the iLife I have is 2 versions old now, so I've completely missed out on Garageband too... How fast does it run (all the apps, not just iWeb), I'm on a G4 here so I'm wondering if its worth trying to run on this or whether to wait 'til I get it with a new Mac.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 10:42 AM

kewl sit design,

loads just fine here
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 10:49 AM

looks good, but load time is a bit slow. I'd try to resave the images in Photoshop if you have it.

Has anyone tried saving an iWeb website on a non-.Mac server? I have no intention of ever purchasing .Mac after my first attempt years ago.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

-Q-
Jan 16, 2006, 12:37 PM

Very nice.

A bit slow on the loading, but not terrible. I wonder if the .Mac servers are a bit overwhelmed with traffic now that iLife '06 has officially shipped?

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 16, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by -Q-
Very nice.

A bit slow on the loading, but not terrible. I wonder if the .Mac servers are a bit overwhelmed with traffic now that iLife '06 has officially shipped?
It looks great. I must agree about the loading speed. Thumbnails should load much faster than this. I think you must be right about iWeb not resizing images.

When version 1.1 ships this will all be easy to fix

Toyin
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
My copy of iLife '06 arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait to tear into iWeb. After about 3 hours of use, I love it. Despite warnings from here, it didn't crash on me once during my building of the site you can see here:

http://web.mac.com/echobravo/iWeb

This was on a 1.8 MHz G5 iMac running 10.4.4.

Anyway, I completely redid my son's website. I used to maintain the site for out of town relatives, so they could see the latest pix and keep up to date. Now it's more of a vanity project than anything, since most of our families live here in Phoenix with us.

In any case, I'm pretty proud of the site and would love your feedback. And hey, if I can do this with iWeb, anybody can. My only other web design experience was with Macromedia Contribute.

Talk to me.
Very nicely done. It is a bit slow to load. Why the web.mac.com address? If you have .mac why wasn't it published in http://homepage.mac.com?

Keep up the good work.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 08:46 PM

looks really nice. Slow here too. I have iWeb and love it although havent really publised anything other than this quick thing http://web.mac.com/sonordrum/iWeb/Si...t%20Movie.html

So I wondered why it dosent use the same homepage.mac.com thing too. Makes it hard to use both right?? I need more time to mess with all of this.

1.0 wont be the best this gets (I hope)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 08:47 PM

iWeb exported and then uploaded to my server. I exported that same template and uploaded to my server.

The speed seems better on my host, but iWeb doesn't do the best job with the images. Looking at a few random images on the page shows they are around 30 - 150k each.

I know the code for iWeb isn't the greatest, but it validates, looks good even on windows ie, and even has filters to make .pngs transparent on windows ie.
I'm not going to use it since I code my own pages, but you have to respect Apple for pulling off something with templates that look that good that render on ie.

RezX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2006, 02:43 PM

very nice! Man there needs to be a way to integrate a comments system into the blog if you want it.

PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2006, 02:55 PM

Job well done! 'Very nice looking, I am in the process of making my own also. Except for the fact that iweb crashed here and there it is very easy to use.

Parky
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 03:39 PM

Computers - Au MacBook 2.4Ghz, iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
iPods - 5GB original iPod, 4GB nano - Red, 1GB 2G shuffle - Silver, 4GB 3G Shuffle - Black, 16GB touch, 16GB nano Red, 16GB iPhone 3G.
OSX User Since Public Beta, current OS 10.6.1, iTS UK purchases - 5377 songs.... and growing!
My website - www.idparkinson.co.uk

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 06:12 PM

Here are two of mine.
Very nice. Impressive reviews for the theatre site, too. On your personal site, I love the pix. Reminds me of how much I miss Toronto (and to a lesser degree) Niagara Falls. Haven't been to either in about 6 years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules