Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iWeb 2.0 Wishlist

iWeb 2.0 Wishlist
LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2006, 12:11 AM

So I finally got a chance to sit down at my new core duo 2.0 imac and play with iWeb, and I like it - it has a lot of potential. But, it definitely feels like a 1.0 - needs work.

To start, I'd like it to really allow more manipulation of the themes. For example, there are certain theme elements that you can't delete. And we should be able to add more elements (theme specific) from a menu - more curled pictures, etc. And we need a freeform page, not constricted by a certain function (photo,blog, etc), just somewhere to drag pictures and text boxes onto a theme-specific background.

I'd like to make a page with links to multiple other photo pages, and the page to use as the starting page is difficult now. I am using a slimmed-down "about me" page.

An open theme architecture, or even a theme-pack add-on with a theme editor.

Ability to easily add a frame to a picture you drag onto a page (outside of a theme element). The themes and photo pages add frames, we should be able to for freely added pics.

Those are just some initial thoughts. Anyone have anything else they'd like to see in iWeb 2.0??

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2006, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by LeeG
So I finally got a chance to sit down at my new core duo 2.0 imac and play with iWeb, and I like it - it has a lot of potential. But, it definitely feels like a 1.0 - needs work.

To start, I'd like it to really allow more manipulation of the themes. For example, there are certain theme elements that you can't delete. And we should be able to add more elements (theme specific) from a menu - more curled pictures, etc. And we need a freeform page, not constricted by a certain function (photo,blog, etc), just somewhere to drag pictures and text boxes onto a theme-specific background.

I'd like to make a page with links to multiple other photo pages, and the page to use as the starting page is difficult now. I am using a slimmed-down "about me" page.

An open theme architecture, or even a theme-pack add-on with a theme editor.

Ability to easily add a frame to a picture you drag onto a page (outside of a theme element). The themes and photo pages add frames, we should be able to for freely added pics.

Those are just some initial thoughts. Anyone have anything else they'd like to see in iWeb 2.0??

Lee
You could always try Sandvox

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 04:45 AM

Or Rapidweaver

Reggie Fowler
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2006, 10:08 AM

It feels like a 1.0 to me because it keeps crashing whenever i open the Media Browswer. Arg!!!

jasong
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 11:37 AM

I agree with a page designed for photo links, I am using a Welcome page for mine. I'd also like the ability to designate pages from one site to appear on the navigation bar of a different site. Owing to the single level nature of iWeb, I have created a separate "site" for a wedding page and for my photos in general, and would like to have a navigation link to those sites (or individual pages) from the main site. Maybe if we could alias pages throughout sites.

That and the usual make it faster and smoother.
-- Jason

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2006, 12:32 PM

Yeah, a nice "blank" template for each theme would be welcomed and I totally agree with the others in regards to a nicer page-linking system within the Photo pages.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2006, 03:05 PM

Elegant code: never use a <div class='paragraph body'> when a simple <p> will do.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jan 29, 2006, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
Elegant code: never use a <div class='paragraph body'> when a simple <p> will do.
Did XML also suddenly become inelegant??

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2006, 04:41 PM

I just want to put whatever date I feel like in my title. iWeb why must you decide that I wanted everything present dated?

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
It could also create an external Style Sheet for all the CSS, but even sticking the lot in the HTML head instead of using loads of inline styles would be an improvement.

LeeG  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 30, 2006, 03:42 PM

Yeah, the more I use it, the more we need multiple level websites. Single level is frustrating. We need an index page for photo albums, and a movie index page.

I'd really like a blank page for each theme as well, with objects you can add to it-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

pockettheater
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2006, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by LeeG
Yeah, the more I use it, the more we need multiple level websites. Single level is frustrating. We need an index page for photo albums, and a movie index page.

I'd really like a blank page for each theme as well, with objects you can add to it-

L
I agree with the need for a blank page. Also a Comments or Guest Book type template would be great. However, I was able to find a work around for adding multi layered photo pages. Just select a picture page template, select the sample, then in the Graphic Inspector adjust the opacity to 0. Now drag in your own pictures and make them hyperlinks. Once you do that, just add another picture page and drag on your photos. Here, check out my site as an example: http://web.mac.com/danuproductions/i.../Hometown.html

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2006, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!!
Did XML also suddenly become inelegant??
I only showed the opening tags, but I assume that the proper closing tags would also be generated. Is that what you mean?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2006, 08:49 PM

I agree with all that has been said here. iWeb is really neat, but seriously limited for a commercial app. The single levelness of it is annoying - now sure this is a 1.0 release but this 2006 and people are used to multi-layered websites.

I'd want to see in a free 1.5 upgrade:

* more template types (i.e. guestbook)
* layered photopages
* ability to publish directly to 3rd party websites

After paying for iLife I find it frustrating that Apple ties it to .Mac like this. Sure they can make the .Mac publishing default and the easiest way but no need to block 3rd party websites.

I used .Mac for 2 years and I didn't like it. I still don't. Website publishing isn't a .Mac feature that became available all of a sudden with iWeb, but being able to publish directly to .Mac only is an artificial limitation that has nothing to do with .Mac. Were iWeb a free app, things would look a lot different.

As for a iWeb 2.0 wishlist:

* way better media browser with the ability to filter out m4p songs for instance
* multilayered website creation
* ability to edit the templates more intuatively

That said, iWeb is damn good at what it is able to do. I made a fine personal website that functions just fine and looks good in a couple of hours. For me that's saying a lot, I had never tried iWeb before and I only had some experience with Mozilla composer before! Apple is on to something here

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

PHYMAC
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2006, 12:13 PM

My wish list:

1. Be able to have comments on your blog.
2. Easier publishing to a non .Mac site.
3. When publishing to folder, not having to publish all your sites, but to be able to choose which ones to publish.
4. Being able to delete a site that was accidentaly puclished to a .mac address without having to delete the site within the iweb app.

Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2006, 04:45 PM

not tied to .mac

ehunt
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2006, 11:48 PM

I like the comments so far so my additional wish list:

1. When I reboot my PB that iWeb not add over 3000 files to my trash as "recovered files" which take bloody forever to secure delete
2. Access to some of the photo page templates available on the .Mac website
3. Ability to put 3 columns when the pictures page template doesn't allow for it
: MB Pro 17" 2.16GHz Intel I MB Air 1.6GHz I iPhone 3G I iPod Nano & Shuffle I PB G4 867Mhz I AirPort Extreme 802.11n I Time Capsule
MISC : Lacie D2±RW Dual Layer I Canon Powershot A700 & HV10 I SONY PSP & PS3(60gig) I Western Digital 500GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules