Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems with time, Dashboard and 'Open with'

Problems with time, Dashboard and 'Open with'
dnordstrom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 11:54 PM

Hi,

I love my MacBook (Intel Core Duo) but it's got three very disturbing problems that some of you might be able to solve.

Problem #1

Every time I log in, the time is set wrong. Once I "Open Date & Time", it updates automatically to the correct time zone.

Problem #2

Launching Dashboard is a very slow process that freezes the whole OS for about a minute. While Dashboard is loading all widgets and data, I can't use my computer. Once it's loaded, I can view it quickly though.

Problem #3

Right clicking works fast, but once the mouse pointer points at "Open with", the OS freezes for maybe 15 seconds. This mostly happens when I'm dealing with image files.

Also, when I use "Get info" to change which application to open the filetype with, the same thing happens. It freezes when I'm trying to view the drop down menu. And when I finally am able to use my computer, there is an error when I try to "Change all".

That's it.

I hope that I was detailed enough and that my English is readable. I'm european.

Hope someone can help me out, because this is really starting to get on my nerves.

Thank you, guys.
www.AppleAre.com - Apple videos and quotes.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 11:35 PM

1. Do you use BootCamp? This problem is normally associated with Windows resetting the clock everytime.

2. How much RAM do you have? Also, this is normal the first time you launch Dashboard, after that it should be quite snappy.

3. Again, this could be RAM. Do you use Aperture?

I've found that with the MB, atleast 1 GB is needed. 2 GB is recommended by most people on this forum, however I don't find it necessary.

dnordstrom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2007, 02:06 AM

I have 768 but as it is now, I feel that everything went fast with 512... Dashboard started quickly a few months ago when I only had 512.

And even stardard amount of memory shouldn't result in a unusable 'Open with' menu, right? I mean, the computer freezes for 20 seconds...

Solved the 1st problem though, it was boot camp.
www.AppleAre.com - Apple videos and quotes.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2007, 02:53 AM

The Open With… command has to go through all the available apps for that particular filetype. With a slow HD and lots of apps that can take a while.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2007, 05:58 AM

It's been widely speculated that 512 MB RAM is probably better than 768 MB, due to the dual-channel advantage gained by using identical chips of 256 MB.
I'm guessing since Dashboard probably uses the GMA 950 to display most of the widgets (correct me if I'm wrong) your experiencing reduced performance due to mismatched memory sticks. I recommend you either get another 512 MB chip, to bring your MacBook upto 1 GB, or replace your 512 MB chip with the original 256 stick.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 07:58 AM

If you have photoshop installed all the droplets will slow the "Open With..." menu.

Mine still opens in about 1 second (1st gen macbook 1 gig Ram)

Forum Links
Forum Rules