Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How do you backup your data?

How do you backup your data?
BlueCat
Nov 12, 2003, 10:13 PM

Does OSX have some sort of built-in backup tool that can handle incremental backups? I would like to backup my data on a regular basis but for obvious reasons, do not want to backup everything everytime - just what's changed.

If not, can anyone recommend any good third party product - hopefully not too expensive Oh and preferrably be capable of backing up to DVD.

Thanks.
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

mikemako
Senior User
Nov 12, 2003, 10:24 PM

try this: backup
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 11:28 PM

I backup with Retrospect Express to Firewire hard disks. Retrospect Express ($50) has been discontinued and now the cheapest Retrospect you can buy is Desktop at over $100. I hate Dantz and you shouldn't give them your money.

Firewire hard disks are a great thing. They are faster and more spacious than DVDs, and you can get an 80 GB external drive for something like $110 these days if you look. I recommend this wholeheartedly.

Brass
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2003, 11:45 PM

There are several freeware or shareware synchronisation and/or backup utilities for Mac OS X. Do a search on Version Tracker.

I use Synk X. Does a great job. Only backs up or synchronises changed files. Is free. Archives deleted and changed files so you don't lose old versions.

turboSPE
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by BlueCat:
Does OSX have some sort of built-in backup tool that can handle incremental backups? I would like to backup my data on a regular basis but for obvious reasons, do not want to backup everything everytime - just what's changed.

If not, can anyone recommend any good third party product - hopefully not too expensive Oh and preferrably be capable of backing up to DVD.

Thanks.
I use psyncX with an internal drive. I don't do incremental backups, but psync works great. It's very speedy and uses very little system resources. Get it from VersionTracker.

turboSPE

BlueCat  (op)
Nov 13, 2003, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by mikemako:
try this: backup
Does this "really" require a .Mac account? I'm not a member and to be honest probably do not intend to be sign up (not that I think it's bad or anything ... just probably a lil' costly for me ).
15" Aluminium Powerbook 1.25GHz G4
Panther 10.3
"My first Mac, but definitely not my last!"

Tomster
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 02:18 AM

I'm using CarbonCopyCloner with psync. There's a bit of work to get psync working in Panther, but after that, no issues. Perfect incremental backups.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

dagaz
Nov 13, 2003, 06:27 AM

It may be a bit archaic, but I actually use the manual method advised by apple at Apple Support

This works fine for me. I normally run it on a weekly basis.
Not compatible with Windows

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 02:23 PM

CCC to sync my internal drive to a firewire external every Sunday at 3AM, then Retrospect 5 backing up my home directory to tape whenever I feel the need. Tape isn't glamorous, but it's also not gonna get nuked when the next firewire external drive bug arises.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
Firewire hard disks are a great thing. They are faster and more spacious than DVDs, and you can get an 80 GB external drive for something like $110 these days if you look. I recommend this wholeheartedly.
I believed this too until 10.3.1 started corrupting my firewire drives, I'm now looking for a more stable state based backup system such as DDS or DLT.

Backups are only good if they're stable.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by BlueCat:

I use rsync to backup to an external drive. It will only copy out changes which makes it run really quick.

example:
rsync -avz ~/user/Documents /Volumes/nameofdrive/backup

If you put rsync in a cron job with something like Cronnix, you can have it automated.

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2003, 04:59 PM

Tape isn't glamorous, but it's also not gonna get nuked when the next firewire external drive bug arises.
But it will when the next tape drive bug arises

orry_main
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 05:45 PM

Will any of these suggested programs burn the back-up to cd? Preferably, will any of them let you pop in a cd-rw, erase the previous back-up and then burn the new back-up?

dagaz
Nov 13, 2003, 10:48 PM

Will any of these suggested programs burn the back-up to cd? Preferably, will any of them let you pop in a cd-rw, erase the previous back-up and then burn the new back-up?
This is exactly what I do as per the Apple instrunctions which are linked to in my post above. Basically log in as root and drop your home folder onto Disk Copy (Disk Utility in 10.3) then burn away. Simple and free.
Not compatible with Windows

orry_main
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2003, 11:35 PM

Oh, sure. But I'm lazy. And then I forget to back-up as often as I like. Machines are supposed to do stuff for us...so that I can continue to be lazy and forgetful.

nerd
Senior User
Nov 13, 2003, 11:54 PM

II have a 40GB mirror RAID on my G4 that I always have networked. I put all my important things on that drive like Quicken, a symbolic link for iPhoto, etc. I use Deja Vu to back up some files to the mirror like Mail. I'm planing on getting a 2 250GB or so drives and mirror those in a firewire case and put all my iTunes files and other things on it. I have the G5 and G4 networked with gigabit so I'm limited mostly by the hard drive on big files.

This is all a good backup plan but still wouldn't help me if the mirror became corrupted some how. That's where backing up to DVD and things would come in. I personally don't, the mirror provides enough comfort for me.

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules