Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 15Alum Car charger

PB 15Alum Car charger
Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

Hi All, does anyone know of a car charger for the 15incher other than the Kensington one I have seen?

Thanks,

X

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by Xerxes:
Hi All, does anyone know of a car charger for the 15incher other than the Kensington one I have seen?

Thanks,

X
I dunno why you're asking. I have the Kensington and it works great.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 01:38 AM

Or, just get a power inverter for the cigarette lighter and plug your adapter into that.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Xerxes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 04:30 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
I dunno why you're asking. I have the Kensington and it works great.

Just a bit pricey that's all

Will get it though, thanks for the info.

X

Xerxes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 04:31 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Or, just get a power inverter for the cigarette lighter and plug your adapter into that.
Sounds interesting, thanks for the input.

X

Leo the 3rd
Mar 31, 2004, 10:40 AM

Which model Kensington are you looking at?

velodev
Senior User
Mar 31, 2004, 11:00 AM

The one I bought from the Apple Store was a translucent power adapater. It was about $70+

I made more than $70 use of it because it also has an inner adapter for plane travel. It comes with plugs for iBook and Powerbook.

I also have a power inverter for auto from ADC. That thing got so hot that I no longer use it. It was pretty scary how hot the grey brick part was...

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2004, 01:41 PM

As long as you're just going to use it in a car, get a power inverter. After all, the car will be carrying all the weight, and you'll be able to use the power inverter with other stuff that needs AC. Just be sure to get a large enough power inverter to cover the stuff you might be plugging into it (otherwise the power inverter will get very hot...)

I have tons of car adapters for previous generations of Mac laptops that no longer work, each of which cost around $70 to begin with. If I'd gotter a power inverter from the very beginning, life would have been so much simpler.

Now, if you're going to be travelling a lot, hooking up to DC in various rental cars, or perhaps on the plane, that's a different story, because you're not going to want to be carrying any extra weight.

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2004, 02:19 PM

I have the iJuice made by iGo and have been very happy with it. It comes with various adapters so that it can be used in a car, plane or as a backup power adapter that just plugs into an AC outlet.
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

Xerxes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Leo the 3rd:
Which model Kensington are you looking at?
This one:

http://www.kensington.com/html/4103.html

Its the expensive one but I cannot find any supplier in the UK that stocks this specific Mac one other than the Apple UK store who are charging �99-$150 for it.

X

Xerxes  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2004, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
As long as you're just going to use it in a car, get a power inverter. After all, the car will be carrying all the weight, and you'll be able to use the power inverter with other stuff that needs AC. Just be sure to get a large enough power inverter to cover the stuff you might be plugging into it (otherwise the power inverter will get very hot...)

I have tons of car adapters for previous generations of Mac laptops that no longer work, each of which cost around $70 to begin with. If I'd gotter a power inverter from the very beginning, life would have been so much simpler.

Now, if you're going to be travelling a lot, hooking up to DC in various rental cars, or perhaps on the plane, that's a different story, because you're not going to want to be carrying any extra weight.
The plane cable is what tempted me to it. Great feature...

Also travel is very important so as you say the kensington is lighter.

Gonna go for it. thanks for you help.

X

Forum Links
Forum Rules