Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Rise Of Nations for Mac ! ! !

Rise Of Nations for Mac ! ! !
PacPerson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 03:05 PM

Yo, check this out.

I was on the rise of nations forum a while back, and I asked the developer if there was any chance of bringing RoN to Mac.

This is what they replied.

"There has been no announcement yet on plans to release RoN for the Mac, but it is certainly a possibilty."

That's straight from the developers mouth, not some nobody posting on some forum.

Here is a link to my thread on that forum.

http://ronp.mednickonline.com/module...thread&tid=304

If you wanna see Rise of Nations come to mac, pop by and make your opinion known. Rise of Nations looks awesome if you like RTS games. The people behind CIV II are the same people behind that game. It has gotten like rave reviews everywhere.

Come on baby, let's go - I wanna see that for Mac - I'm tired of AOE2 already.

nod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 3, 2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by PacPerson:
Yo, check this out.

It has gotten like rave reviews everywhere.
Like... wow!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2003, 07:12 PM

Awh, that's the nice way developers say, "thanks, we'll pass on the Mac."

I'm kidding. Never played the game personally. How is it?

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2003, 07:48 PM

I've never played the game either, because I don't touch pc's, but I did download some ingameplay movies of it, and it looks damn good,

Basically, it's supposed to be a cross between CIV & AOE.

So if you think both of those games are great (i do), then there is a good chance you will like RoN.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 3, 2003, 07:50 PM

Oh, im back as PacHead now and not Pacperson.

I was on my other mac before. It's strange that I registered the other account back in 2000, and never used it before today.

dantley
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 03:32 AM

Rise of Nations is one of the best RTS games available. I'm not a big fan of Civ type of RTS games, but RoN had me hooked.

PacHead
Baninated
Jul 18, 2004, 01:06 AM

Finally - - -this summer ! WOOHOO ! ! ! !

I am so damn tired of AOE, even though it's a great game.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Finally - - -this summer ! WOOHOO ! ! ! !
An article from MacGamer on RoN
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; Jul 18, 2004 at 12:13 PM. )

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2004, 03:29 PM

This game is so addicting it's not even funny! I can't wait to get a copy for my new Powerbook... already have one for the PC
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 09:45 AM

I'm looking forward to giving it a try. It would be great if "this summer" meant sooner rather than later. I need a new game.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2004, 10:25 AM

*bump*

Has anyone heard anything more than "3rd quarter" release timeframe?

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 5, 2004, 03:38 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
*bump*

Has anyone heard anything more than "3rd quarter" release timeframe?
There was a fullpage ad for it in the last macworld magazine I received. No date though. . . . . .

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 10, 2004, 03:41 PM

The game is scheduled for release this summer, but no firm date has been set and there are no system requirement announced yet.

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 13, 2004, 12:38 PM

The game is scheduled for release this summer, but no firm date has been set and there are no system requirement announced yet.

Autumn

As we continue our journey around the Sun, the north pole moves away from the Sun. The Sun rises lower in the sky so the days continue getting shorter. When the Sun is at its mid-point in the sky, we reach the 'autumn equinox', around 22 September. Day and night are both 12 hours long and its the beginning of autumn.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2004, 01:27 PM

If you listen to the recent Al Schilling edition of the Gamesome Mac at MacRadio, you would have heard that MacSoft was able to work out a deal where RoN will now be published as a "Gold" edition with RoN and the expansion pack. So Westlake is now working on the expansion pack.

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by a2daj:
If you listen to the recent Al Schilling edition of the Gamesome Mac at MacRadio, you would have heard that MacSoft was able to work out a deal where RoN will now be published as a "Gold" edition with RoN and the expansion pack. So Westlake is now working on the expansion pack.
While this is true and great news; I'm sad that this will add to the wait. Oh well. Someday... soon At least we'll get the gold edition for the same price.
MacBook Pro

PacHead
Baninated
Oct 13, 2004, 01:56 PM

Cool !

I think that's a good idea.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2004, 05:35 PM

Yeah, it's worth the wait, and Homeworld 2 is enough to keep me entertained for awhile anyway.

P
Oct 17, 2004, 07:14 AM

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 01:29 AM

I find it funny that Apple says that there are hardcore gamers on the Mac when it takes 2 years for popular PC games to make it OSX.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

redJag
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by riotge@r:
I find it funny that Apple says that there are hardcore gamers on the Mac when it takes 2 years for popular PC games to make it OSX.
Where have they ever said that? Apple's commitment to games has always seemed half-hearted to me.
Travis Sanderson

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by redJag:
Where have they ever said that? Apple's commitment to games has always seemed half-hearted to me.
This is completely untrue. There are many people working behind the scenes at Apple directly with PC developers and publishers. Apple is more than willing to try and woo developers like Valve for example. The problem is companies like Valve want nothing to do with Apple yet Apple still tries; over and over again.

Apple is always working directly with Mac game publishers and developers; I'm not sure where you've seen a "half-hearted" commitment because that's certainly not what I've seen or heard about directly.

BTW - For the record, I am a hardcore Mac gamer. I do not work for Apple nor own Apple stock or nor do I have investment banking interests with the company
MacBook Pro

redJag
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by gbafan:
This is completely untrue.
I'm not saying they aren't interested in games coming to their platform.. they just aren't "hardcore" about it. If they were, driver updates would be released by ATi and nVidia rather than released as OS updates (takes forever for fixes..). Not a lot of support for 3D sound in Panther (CoreAudio in Tiger will fix this.. I think). It'd be nice if they tried (maybe they have) to license the portion of DirectX used for networking (a multiplayer game that only plays with other Macs is hardly a game at all!).

Summary: I'm not saying they don't try to get games on their platform, just that they don't try enough to be labeled hardcore.

Also, I read the original post wrong thinking he said Apple was hardcore about games. Yes, there are hardcore gamers on Macs
Travis Sanderson

gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 12:35 PM

I'm not saying they aren't interested in games coming to their platform.. they just aren't "hardcore" about it. If they were, driver updates would be released by ATi and nVidia rather than released as OS updates (takes forever for fixes..). Not a lot of support for 3D sound in Panther (CoreAudio in Tiger will fix this.. I think). It'd be nice if they tried (maybe they have) to license the portion of DirectX used for networking (a multiplayer game that only plays with other Macs is hardly a game at all!).
Drivers: nVidia works directly with Apple to make drivers for the OS. Apple releases them. I doubt that nVidia will ever bundle up their own driver releases. ATI sometimes does release "updates" but I don't think I've seen any drivers per say directly from ATI. They also work directly with Apple on drivers updates. Apple does need to start releasing driver update packages seperate from OS packages. It does take far too long for driver updates when their are bugs.

Sound: Not something I'm interested it per say but sure it would be nice for those that want it.

DirectPlay: This just won't happen. It's really not even a licensing issue; more of a technology gap as DirectPlay is using Windows libs that will never be ported to the Mac. We need something better than GameRanger for Mac-to-Mac online gaming in my opinion. The ultimate would be a cross-platform multiplayer library ala OpenGL for online gaming. Again, not likely to ever happen. But hopefully someday we can get something better than publishers supporting GameRanger with their Mac titles. GR is horrible, period.
MacBook Pro

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 1, 2004, 06:45 PM

The game specs don't seem too taxing, that's good.

System Requirements (Preliminary)
� 550MHz G4 computer � 256Mb RAM � 16Mb video card � Mac OS X 10.2

Now, let's see when in Nov. it ships., if it ships in Nov.

rbarris
Blizzard Staff
Nov 1, 2004, 07:45 PM

I'm not saying they aren't interested in games coming to their platform.. they just aren't "hardcore" about it. If they were, driver updates would be released by ATi and nVidia rather than released as OS updates (takes forever for fixes..). Not a lot of support for 3D sound in Panther (CoreAudio in Tiger will fix this.. I think).
3D sounds works nicely with World of Warcraft on 10.3.5. Straight up CoreAudio based code, inspired in part by the open source OpenAL implementation (also built on top of CoreAudio).

I have seen things in the GPU driver dept that took ATI or NVIDIA a while to figure out, and I have seen finished fixes held up in red tape waiting for a release vehicle. To assign all the weight of delays on Apple is not fair or accurate.

Apple is in a unique position where their GL/GPU software directly drives all things graphical on the machine - from games to application GUI to video editing stuff. You can't just shoot out driver revs every three days, you have to test this stuff and be very careful when you commit to having the GPU involved in the entire user experience! (something I'll note that Windows has not yet done).

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2004, 10:47 PM

ok, it's Nov, where is the game????.....
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 10:05 AM

Anyone know a release date for this game?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2004, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Cincojoe:
www.worldofwarcraft.com
the bigggg banner

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2004, 11:01 AM

What does this have to do with RON?

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2004, 12:36 PM

November 18th is the current expected release date we have for Rise of Nations Gold Edition
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2004, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the update.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 14, 2004, 03:27 PM

4 more days ! Woohooo !

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2004, 04:56 PM

"Expected release date"

Until MacSoft releases a "hey, it's shipping now!" statement, I wouldn't recommend endearing any emotional commitment to that date.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 14, 2004, 05:01 PM

it's only a game....it comes out when it comes out....

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2004, 02:39 AM

Can't wait to give this game a try. It sounds promising from what I read on gaming sites.

Performance is really the key factor to me now. I'm fed up with horrible performance in few recent games such as C&C: Generals, Simcity 3/4, Battlefield 1954, etc.

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2004, 11:33 AM

"Expected release date"

Until MacSoft releases a "hey, it's shipping now!" statement, I wouldn't recommend endearing any emotional commitment to that date.
Exactly... which is why I'm usually reluctant to give the expected dates we've been given by the publishers, because they always change. For example, for this game, the expected date we've now been given is December 1st.
- Edmund Burke

Rodster
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2004, 05:14 AM

I've played R.O.N. on the PC and it's awesome. The only problem I have buying the game again is that it's $50. I can buy the same game for the PC for $25.

That's the problem with most Mac games with the exception of Blizzard games which run both OS's from the same CD, so you don't pay extra to play it on a Mac.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 12:24 AM

anyone know if the game is out yet for mac?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 03:00 AM

anyone know if the game is out yet for mac?
It's taking so long

I think I heard from somewhere about them delaying the game so they can add in expansion pack and ship the whole thing in one box. Take this with grain of salt though.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 04:47 AM

That's what the delay was for. They're shipping as RoN Gold. Not sure what the current status is though. May still be in beta or maybe in Final Candidate. I think there was a patch to the RoN expansion pack recently. There's a possibility they rolled those changes in and they have to test some more.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2004, 10:58 AM

reason I was asking, if you go to Amazon it's labeled as "new arrival"

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 30, 2004, 02:33 PM

Looks like it's out, or about to be out.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 12:08 PM

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2004, 05:47 PM

Yeah! MacSoft must realize it's about time as well. I was not excepting us to get any in until next week, but a shipment arrived today and all our pre-orders for it are now being packaged up to ship out.
- Edmund Burke

onetonmartin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 04:01 PM

Ahhhhhh. why didn't they release this before World of Warcraft??? I love Sid's games & was looking so forward to RON. Now I'm way too consumed with Warcraft. Maybe later.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 16, 2004, 12:54 PM

I might pop by my local compusa today. The goons better have it. On their website, there is nothing.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2004, 04:27 PM

I might pop by my local compusa today. The goons better have it. On their website, there is nothing.
Let us know what you find there. If they have them in stock, I may drive over and pick up a copy at their nearby store.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 16, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Let us know what you find there. If they have them in stock, I may drive over and pick up a copy at their nearby store.
I didn't get a chance to go there today. I'm shooting for tommorow instead.

I hope they have it, because ordering on the net right now would be retarded.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2004, 10:59 PM

I'm hitting an Apple store tomorrow on the way home from work, I'll post my results!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Forum Links
Forum Rules