Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail versus Entourage

Mail versus Entourage
milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 08:29 PM

I'm currently trying to decide whether to switch or not.
I haven't tried mail since the 10.1 days. It was junk then; but I hear it's much better now.
I think that I'm pretty close to deciding to use Mail - anybody wanna help push me over the edge?
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

MactotheMax
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by milhaus:
I haven't tried mail since the 10.1 days. It was junk then; but I hear it's much better now.
I think that I'm pretty close to deciding to use Mail - anybody wanna help push me over the edge?
Not me. I prefer Entourage myself. Sorry

jrafter
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 11:25 PM

Thunderbird.

teszeract
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2005, 05:16 PM

I changed from using Entourage yesterday. I've used Entourage for years and years, but recently I have been having Windows based clients who can't open my PDF's. So I tried Mail in desperation, and its actually not bad at all.

True to Apple's style they make things look simple with all the features there somehow. I have only been using Mail for a day and half - but I thnk that I'm going to stay with mail. I just need to figure out how not to show the whole attached PDF in the body of the email on my computer. I much prefer an attachments windowpane.

Bottomline - Mail is better for me.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2005, 11:55 PM

I ditched Entourage long ago when Apple went with the strategy of the Addressbook being the central repository of contacts. MS will just never buy into this feature. You can buy 3rd party but why?

I now have to use a PC at work and use Outlook all day. What a piece of crap. Makes me appreciate just how much I really like the simplicity of Mail...and it's power.

When Tiger comes out and it has Spotlight features and smart folders, it will be the only way to go. Get a head start. Switch now.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:09 AM

Probably small compared to many people here, but I've got 9000 emails in Mail (that's just the recieved mail, probably about the same number of sent mail), and it checks 8 email addresses for me every 15 minutes all day, every day.

And it keeps that pace just fine. No slowdowns. And no worry of the one jumbo-database file corrupting (like Entourage), Mail uses individual files for each email.

I used to use Entourage. I liked it. But I like mail more.

torifile
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 01:02 AM

mail here too. Works with my university's LDAP server just fine and my addressbook is never out of sync. I've got thousands of emails and I never have a problem with it. It just works.

nate_02
Senior User
Feb 18, 2005, 01:26 AM

I always had problems with entourage crashing, so I switched to Mail and it's been great ever since.
-nate

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2005, 12:27 PM

I've used mail since they added the junk mail filtering in 10.2. I've never had a problem with it. I can't wait for Mail in Tiger. I've tried entourage and wasn't too keen on it. I might use it for my work email on our exchange server but other than that I don't use it. I'm trying to avoid using too many Microsoft Products on my Mac. The only one I use is Office. Word, Excel and powerpoint (rarely) I'd rather use Keynote.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by milhaus:
Use mail every day for the past 2 years -- it works fine. Used entourage for a couple years before that... Mail feels more responsive for me.

I don't think there's an ABSOLUTELY compelling reason to move right now. But when Tiger ships, Tiger's mail is so nice it will be a no brainer.

philcozz
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2005, 12:50 PM

I'm back to Entourage over Mail. I really like how easy it is to track the history of e-mails in Entourage; it lets you know when an e-mail is a reply to an original message you sent, and you can click on that link to see that message... For all intents and purposes, Entourage already has "smart folders" except they're called "mail views." Set the criteria you want in a custom mail view, click on it, and all e-mails that apply are shown. Also, contrary to other reports here, it doesn't crash on me (Mail does). I will certainly give the updated Mail in Tiger a look, but Entourage really is a pretty solid mail client.

FYI: My opinion is based on 2004, not v.X. I like this new version of Entourage MUCH better than the last version.
( Last edited by philcozz; Feb 18, 2005 at 02:20 PM. )

hotani
Senior User
Feb 18, 2005, 01:57 PM

My mail host just switched servers which caused problems with Mail. It would either see messages in my inbox, or my inbox IMAP folders but not both. I called and they said, "uh... there seems to be a glitch with Mail. Do you have entorage?"

So I tried it. 5 minutes later I was back in Mail with the determination to MAKE it work - and I did. Entorage blows. Of course, my version is old but its MS which means bloatware. Mail is simple, elegant and clean.

Thunderbird and Firefox both do not work on my machine. It is a mystery, and apparently I'm the only one with this problem. If T-bird would have worked I'd probably be using it now. I use it at work on the peecee and its nice, but not as nice as Mail.

so there you go.
// hōtani
MDD G4 dual 867

Forum Links
Forum Rules