Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do self-appointed forum mods need order to all aspects of life?

Do self-appointed forum mods need order to all aspects of life? (Page 2)
besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2006, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by FeLiZeCaT
LOL

Dizzy yet?

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 09:39 PM

From what? There was no spin.

meelk
Baninated
Mar 24, 2006, 09:41 PM

This thread is going to cause a Virgin Mary statue to weep blood somewhere in the world.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2006, 03:20 AM

Hi Everyone!

I'm in Whorelando tonight where the lights are bright and shiny.

This thread rules. Besson is telling it like it is.

- Rule 8 violation catchers
- People worried about what is classified as silly content
- People overly concerned about what forum is the best for the post when it is a gray area
- People who jump on others for "blogging" (although I don't know if this is a rule of some sort)
- Timeliners (although this isn't a rule AFAIK)
- People upset because somebody said "hi" (including moderators)
- People quick to point out a thread about somebody else (when they aren't attacking this person or casting them in a negative light)
- People worried about whether lounge discussions should be appended to existing threads

Hey, Kevin...THAT SIG TOTALLY RULES!

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2006, 12:37 PM

two pages and still no answer to the original question...

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 25, 2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
Hey, Kevin...THAT SIG TOTALLY RULES!

HEY!

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
two pages and still no answer to the original question...
The third reply took care of that early on.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 25, 2006, 01:59 PM

Yes WDlove hit it on.

Also, when in someone's house, it's nice to respect the rules of said house. And not disrespect the wishes of the house owners just because "you don't want to"

respect all around is a good thing.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
The third reply took care of that early on.

I thought I made it clear that I wasn't referring to forum etiquette. Of course people should be nice and polite with each other. If you have read my posts in places like the PL, you'll know that I've always advocated this.

I've grown to understand the mod's point of view here. When there are too many rules people complain, when there are too few rules, people complain. What I remain confused over is why people complain over too few rules? Why do people try to enforce rules in the absence of the mods? Do they enjoy having these rules? Do they enjoy pretending that they are mods?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2006, 02:30 PM

My own personal point of view on some of these rules is probably pretty transparent. Perhaps the question of this thread is pretty transparent too. Since people don't seem to be getting it the way I originally asked it, I'll be blunt and crass:

Why so anal, MacNN members?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2006, 02:34 PM

Why so generalizing, besson3c?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2006, 02:35 PM

Why so generalizing, besson3c?

Sorry, I should have qualified that by adding "to those whom this applies" (i.e. to those that do what I described). I thought that was pretty implicit.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2006, 02:36 PM

I thought I made it clear that I wasn't referring to forum etiquette. Of course people should be nice and polite with each other. If you have read my posts in places like the PL, you'll know that I've always advocated this.

I've grown to understand the mod's point of view here. When there are too many rules people complain, when there are too few rules, people complain. What I remain confused over is why people complain over too few rules? Why do people try to enforce rules in the absence of the mods? Do they enjoy having these rules? Do they enjoy pretending that they are mods?
[Only slightly off-topic]Now, you might have a better idea of what GWB has to deal with![/Only slightly off-topic]

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2006, 02:48 PM

besson, simply put, 'NN has always been conducted under mild O.C.D. This keeps things much cleaner with the occasional overreaction. A lot of the "anal" remarks are jokes, anyhow (timelining, blogging, etc.), while other things, like "wrong forum" might come off harshly from some, they're helpful even when not coming from a real mod (after all, a post in the correct forum is more likely to be answered better and more often).

MacNN is the only forum I frequent and that's because of the little nitpicking things—small, unobtrusive sigs; cleanness in general makes it easy to navigate and sort through the junk.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by abe
[Only slightly off-topic]Now, you might have a better idea of what GWB has to deal with![/Only slightly off-topic]
Wrong forum.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
This thread is bound for infamy.
No, it will never see page 25. Bet.

-t

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Wrong forum.
As a self-appointed forum mod, do you need order to all aspects of life?
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 26, 2006, 09:46 AM

1. There aren't many rules in MacNN.
2. Most of the rules are basically there to keep things running smoothly
3. The mods don't pay a lot of attention to the daily going on in the forum. Most of the time they only see something when someone reports it. This is how MacNN works. And is nothing about your projected insistence that some of us want to be mods. They couldn't PAY me enough.

It's as simple as this besson, when there are rules at a board, you follow them. It doesn't matter if YOU don't like them. Or if YOU think they are silly. Too bad. This isn't your forum.

Ever since you've came here you have tried to force your views on the forum/mods/admins doing the VERY SAME THING (actually worse) than the people you are talking about.

They are just attempting to uphold the forum etiquette that has been set down by the admins.

YOU are sticking your tongue out to the people that run the place, and at the same time, whining about how it's not the way YOU want it to be.

This isn't the first thread you've posted of the like. It seems to be an obsession to you.

Simply put, if you are so about control and controlling things, control your own forum. This one already has an owner.

Just like a house, when you go into someone else's house to visit, you follow their rules. You don't demand them to change them or ignore them just because you think their rules are silly.

Dig?

I think MacNN's rules are pretty basic and fair.

Stop this constant whining about how people actually EXPECT you to follow said rules.

You aren't going to "talk us into it"

You've started your own forum. You run it. Must you run this one as well? I don't think so besson.

Talk about OCD.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 26, 2006, 09:48 AM

MacNN is the only forum I frequent and that's because of the little nitpicking things—small, unobtrusive sigs; cleanness in general makes it easy to navigate and sort through the junk.
Exactly.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2006, 04:55 PM

Again, the irony.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2006, 05:14 PM

My own personal point of view on some of these rules is probably pretty transparent. Perhaps the question of this thread is pretty transparent too. Since people don't seem to be getting it the way I originally asked it, I'll be blunt and crass:

That's assuming that are in fact anal and don't in fact have a right to be annoyed by page after page of flamebait, confusing zombie threads and "Hi, I look forward to chatting with you."
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2006, 06:27 PM

Well, I guess this thread isn't going anywhere, so I'll jump off this sinking ship.

Sorry to those I may have offended by not being able to articulate this clearly, or otherwise...

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2006, 07:11 PM

You're just being a hypocrite besson3c.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 26, 2006, 09:37 PM

Well, I guess this thread isn't going anywhere, so I'll jump off this sinking ship.
There is no sinking ship.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2006, 10:21 PM

"There is no spoon"

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 10:32 PM

Here's my attempt to rid myself of this awfully offensive image of Keanu and the Kid and the Spoon.

Is it gone yet?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2006, 10:39 PM

And like that... he's gone.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2006, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
And like that... he's gone.
What film is that from?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 26, 2006, 11:00 PM

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader

McManus: What makes you say that?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2006, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by abe
What film is that from?
The Matrix

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 01:40 AM

The Matrix
Neo: What is the Matrix?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 08:42 AM

Besson, do you have any friends who are needlessly pedantic? You know, the ones who know the rules for everything, and make sure they let you know about it all the time?

Well, I've been working on an Advanced Greater Idiot Theory (I call it Dork.'s A GIT) as it applies to the Internet. Dork.'s A GIT changes from time to time depending on my mood, but right now it's this: Imagine a particular undesirable character trait that you, or someone you know, takes to an extreme. For instance, let's say Dork. is a big idiot. On the Internet, statistics show that Dork. is merely an average idiot, and there are thousands of people who are far more idiotic, and using the Internet means you will likely encounter all of them at one point or another.

A corrolary to Dork.'s A GIT is that if a few of these extreme idiots were to post in a thread on the Internet, then said thread would be intstantly rendered craptacular.

Substitute Pedantic for Idiotic, and I think that will clear things up for you.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dork.
Besson, do you have any friends who are needlessly pedantic? You know, the ones who know the rules for everything, and make sure they let you know about it all the time?

Well, I've been working on an Advanced Greater Idiot Theory (I call it Dork.'s A GIT) as it applies to the Internet. Dork.'s A GIT changes from time to time depending on my mood, but right now it's this: Imagine a particular undesirable character trait that you, or someone you know, takes to an extreme. For instance, let's say Dork. is a big idiot. On the Internet, statistics show that Dork. is merely an average idiot, and there are thousands of people who are far more idiotic, and using the Internet means you will likely encounter all of them at one point or another.

A corrolary to Dork.'s A GIT is that if a few of these extreme idiots were to post in a thread on the Internet, then said thread would be intstantly rendered craptacular.

Substitute Pedantic for Idiotic, and I think that will clear things up for you.

Pedantic! Nice word... so much nicer than "anal".

Explains this strange phenomena more so than anything I've come up with

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2006, 01:45 PM

Well, technically speaking, "pedantic" and "anal" have some key differences. But for the purposes of this discussion, I suppose they're interchangeable.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2006, 02:01 PM

I don't think "pedantic" really applies to people who don't like threads full of "Hi, I look forward to chatting with you" and other such garbage. It's not exactly their usage being criticized. Of course, I'm not sure "anal" is the word there either.
Chuck
___

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Mar 27, 2006, 08:20 PM

Maybe there is a need for a new word? Pedaltic?
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 01:23 PM

I find most of the mods here pretty nice. Well there is ONE that is really bitchy and know it all but there always is one of those somewhere.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by FeLiZeCaT
Maybe there is a need for a new word? Pedaltic?

"Petty" also comes to mind in thinking about these people.. maybe this new word needs to be "pedettanal"? Hmmmm....

Hi FeLiZeCaT!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 03:30 PM

"Petty" also comes to mind in thinking about these people.. maybe this new word needs to be "pedettanal"? Hmmmm....

Hi FeLiZeCaT!
How about "ironic"? As in, "It's ironic how somebody who started a post whining about other people whining about him and is now trying to come up with a spiteful name to call them is now accusing them of pettiness."
Chuck
___

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
How about "ironic"? As in, "It's ironic how somebody who started a post whining about other people whining about him and is now trying to come up with a spiteful name to call them is now accusing them of pettiness."

I'm not whining about people whining about me. People can whine about me if they so choose... they will anyway.

As I thought I made clear, this thread was an attempt to find out what prompts people to do what they do, so that I can understand their point of view a little better. Since I haven't gotten a real response yet, I'm left to believe it is some combination of pendantic, anal, and/or petty.

If anybody would like to explain this to me, I'm all ears here on page 2.

abe
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2006, 03:51 PM

I'm not whining about people whining about me. People can whine about me if they so choose... they will anyway.

As I thought I made clear, this thread was an attempt to find out what prompts people to do what they do, so that I can understand their point of view a little better. Since I haven't gotten a real response yet, I'm left to believe it is some combination of pendantic, anal, and/or petty.

If anybody would like to explain this to me, I'm all ears here on page 2.
OCD is my guess.

Pedant
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Pedantic)

A pedant is a person who is a formalist or precisionist in teaching or scholarship. The term comes from the Latin paedagogare, "to teach", derived from Greek terms for "child" and "to lead". The term is typically used in a negative connotation, indicating someone overly concerned with minutiae and detail.

Being called a pedant, or pedantic, is considered insulting. People who wish to make a correction often preface it with "not wishing to be pedantic, but ..." or "without being a pedant, ..." in order to indicate that the correction is made in good spirit and implies no criticism.

Pedantry can also be an indication of certain developmental disorders. In particular those suffering from Asperger Syndrome, or Higher Functioning Autism, often have behavior characterized by pedantic speech [1]. Those with Asperger tend to obsess over the minutiae of subjects, and are prone to giving long detailed expositions, and the related corrections, and may gravitate to careers in academia or science where such obsessive attention to detail is often rewarded.

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder is also in part characterized by a form of pedantry that is overly concerned with the correct following of rules, procedures and practices.[2] Sometimes the rules that OCPD sufferers obsessively follow are of their own devising, or are corruptions or re-interpretations of the letter of actual rules.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2006, 03:54 PM

I seem to fit in very well here. Suffer from OCD myself. I like to be friendly and supportive,

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

reddirtgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by wdlove
I seem to fit in very well here. Suffer from OCD myself. I like to be friendly and supportive,
I don't think you fit in as well as I do. WE have OCD but, unlike you, I ENJOY IT! I like to antagonize and criticize.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Evold W.
I don't think you fit in as well as I do. WE have OCD but, unlike you, I ENJOY IT! I like to antagonize and criticize.
If I may be pedantic for a moment... Your sig is way too big, please follow the guidelines listed.

Thanks

reddirtgirl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
If I may be pedantic for a moment... Your sig is way too big, please follow the guidelines listed.

Thanks

Byte me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 04:26 PM

Byte me.
Ewww, a sig violator. Nasty.

-t

euchomai
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2006, 05:25 PM

Byte me.

Don't say that I didn't warn you.

The Internet
Baninated
Mar 28, 2006, 05:32 PM

Lol

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2006, 05:35 PM

Doesn't the quoting the signature printed 5 times strain bandwidth more than the extra 50 pixels of height on the original signature?

Forum Links
Forum Rules