Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Problem with Folder Protection: greyed out

Problem with Folder Protection: greyed out
2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 1999, 02:53 PM

I want to enable Folder Protection in the General Controls panel (System and Applications Folder Protection), but I can't select the options, because they're greyed out.

I have tried to copy the preferences file from another Mac, where it works; I have tried enabling/disabling AppleTalk, but I didn't find out what I can do to select those options.

This is probably a simple one, but I have encountered it a few times in the past and but now it became important enough to bother.

Any idea?
Greg

George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 1999, 08:26 PM

2Far, you did not go far enough, more info is required before anyone can really help without guessing.... What computor do you have and what OS system are you running?????

George
bigbiker

2far  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 1999, 07:27 AM

The reason I did not specify the circumstances is that it really happens in any environment, this one is Mac OS 9.0, iMac DV SE. Just after new install it seems to work, but when I want to enable the options after some configuring, it is greyed out sometimes (also on various other machines, e.g. in stores). Has anyone ever encountered this? Also happened under previous Mac OS releases.

Greg

JoshFofer
Dec 12, 1999, 07:39 AM

It's only *supposed* to happen in OS 9... Apple's own help files specifically say that these two features are disabled, and to use the new multi-user security instead. (Search the help system for "protect system folder.")

If it happened in previous systems, then I'd imagine a clean install would have helped. But in the case of OS 9, no amount of clean installing will change things. It's greyed out for everybody.

2far  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 12, 1999, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the input, I must have mixed up 8.6 and 9.0 in this respect. But the multi-user environment requires user action to start up a Mac (entering the password).

That is not what I need: the Mac should be able to start by itself and display a demo (possibly with scheduled wake-up) while still having some basic protection against users messing with the system folder, and possibly the applications folder. On the other hand, the Mac OS experience should not be restricted too much, because people are encouraged to play around a bit (get familiar with it), and I want to run Mac OS 9.0.

System/Applications Folder Protection would have been perfect. I guess I just will have to "protect" folders by locking them while File Sharing is active. Any other ideas?

Greg

George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 13, 1999, 02:17 PM

Make sure that you are not in the SimpleFinder mode.... Go to Menu bar/Edit/Preference and slect the General tab and look to see if you are in the SimpleFinder mode... I don't know if that is your answer but give it a try.....

George
bigbiker

Forum Links
Forum Rules