Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The ideal mobile Mac?

The ideal mobile Mac?
Suikolove
Jul 12, 2007, 12:19 AM

Hello there,

I am currently a PC user, but my instructor uses a Mac OS X with Parallels and Windows XP on it, and, quite frankly, I like how it looks and runs a lot better than this chunky box next to me. Now, my question:

What would be the ideal specs and/or model to go into a store that sells Macs and ask for a Mac laptop (not a Desktop) that can run Parallels and Windows XP without lag or any other BS?

Thanks,
Suikolove

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:18 AM

That depends. What kind of programs do you most often use? Is size an important issue for you? What is your budget for this machine? How much storage do you need?

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 01:20 AM

Thanks for your quick response, vertigociel,

I'll probably be using it for website design professionally, and watching videos, and playing some games... Budget doesn't matter. I will personally get as much money as is required for a good laptop.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:27 AM

What kinds of games are you planning on playing? Apple has two laptops: the MacBook, for consumers, and the MacBook Pro, for professionals. If you are planning on playing games that require a video card and that sort of thing, the MacBook Pro is the way to go!

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:35 AM

Also, the MacBook Pro is faster than the MacBook for you to design websites professionally. One thing that you need to keep in mind is that the MacBook has a 1280x800 13.3" display, while the MacBook Pro has a 1400x900 15.4" display.

Like money is not an issue, I'd go for the MacBook Pro.

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 01:40 AM

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. Can anyone recommend a personal favourite that would work exceedingly well with Parallels, Windows XP, the entire Adobe suite, and games like World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 11?

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:44 AM

I imagine you'll be using a coupleAdobe apps (dreamweaver, photoshop, flash), so from that, Parallels, and the fact you'll be playing games, I'd also recommend getting the MacBook Pro. The best model for you would probably be 2.2 GHz 15", unless future gaming performance is important, in which case the extra 128 MB VRAM in the 2.4 Ghz 15" model would do you well. If you're using a lot of memory-heavy apps in Parallels (i.e. Photoshop, Flash, 3D design programs), you might want to bump the RAM up to 4 GB - I'd recommend buying it from a place like Newegg.com, since it's a lot cheaper than Apple's options. AppleCare is also generally a good choice.

Any way you stack it, the MacBook Pro is definitely a solidly built machine, and it will last you several years or more.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:46 AM

Yeah, what vertgociel said ; ]

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 01:49 AM

Sounds good. I've never seen Macs sold in computer shops around here, though. I'd have to check to see if there's a Mac specialty shop around.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:53 AM

If you don't need it right now, you can always just order online from Apple. Also, if you're gonna get 4GB of RAM from Apple, then you'll have to order online.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:55 AM

IMO, you should get the 2.4 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro because is the fastest-most portable Mac available right now in the market. By fastest-most portable I mean that is as fast as the 17", but smaller.

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 02:03 AM

Am I able to request modifications (additions, etc), and Apple will make the necessary modifications for me before shipping the Mac out?

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 02:06 AM

If you order it online they will. I'm not sure with you go to the Apple Store they'll modify one right that moment.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Jul 12, 2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by liquidsilver6840 View Post
IMO, you should get the 2.4 Ghz 15" MacBook Pro because is the fastest-most portable Mac available right now in the market. By fastest-most portable I mean that is as fast as the 17", but smaller.
I agree. Suikolove if money really is no object as you have said then get the 2.4 with 4 GB of RAM. If you are using your laptop professionally then definitely nothing less than a MacBook Pro.

Cedar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 03:21 AM

I just recieved my Macbook Pro in the mail today. 2.4ghz 2gb RAM 160GB HD 15" etc etc... I love it. I bought it for a portable workhouse for image design (My major) and it works outstanding. I also play WoW, I get a locked 30fps with all the settings up, not the greatest, but not the worst either.

I am also running BootCamp with Vista Ultimate. Although vista is still buggy as hell, it's nice to be able to run windows apps on a mac, and still have the solid and efficiant MacOSX.

And another side-note on games: When Panther comes out (10.5) it supports a brand spanking new OpenGL, games will run faster, apps will run more smooth, and overall more stability.

Hope this helped.

jtrwallace
Jul 12, 2007, 04:50 AM

Dude, Panther was a long time ago. Its Leopard that's coming out as 10.5 Get your cats straight To OP, I say go for the 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, 256MB VRAM. The Glossy vs Matte is up to you but I say Matte. Technically, for whatever reason, the 17" does perform slightly better than the 15" but the difference is nothing compared to how much bigger the 17 inch is. Up to you of course. Also, you sound very new to Mac. I hope you find it to your liking.

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 11:44 AM

What would be the ideal specs and/or model to go into a store that sells Macs and ask for a Mac laptop (not a Desktop) that can run Parallels and Windows XP without lag or any other BS?
You mention "a store that sells Macs" -- I would definitely try my hardest to buy your new toy from either the Apple store or straight from the Apple website. I've heard some scary stuff about buying a mac from CompUSA (I've heard nothing about any other stores, so they very well may be legit). Often times they still carry older models that haven't sold out and will try to sell you one as if it's the latest and greatest. Employees also try to steer you away from the Apple section to go for a PC instead. The whole operation there just makes me uneasy.

hamertime
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2007, 11:51 AM

Even if money isn't an object, don't buy the 4 GB RAM model from Apple. A $700 difference when you could just buy the RAM yourself for $200 is ludicrous, even if you've got money coming out of your ears.

OreoCookie
Jul 12, 2007, 12:46 PM

Just one more thing: Suikolove, even if it turns out that you prefer Windows, you can run only Windows on it and essentially turn your Mac into just another Windows machine. If performance for certain apps is critical, you can also have a dual boot solution (as some members have mentioned, you do that with Boot Camp): then your Mac is just as fast as any Windows PC with similar specs (Core 2 Duo goodness, etc.).
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:07 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 01:18 PM

No, no. I want a change, and Mac seems more reasonable than I've ever given it credit for. I also want to be able to run both platforms for programming and website design sakes. I'm sitting in class right now just drooling over my instructor's Mac laptop (not sure if it's a MacBook or a MacBook Pro, though). Definitely a change, and Mac's interface looks prettier than Windows' does. ^_^

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Suikolove View Post
No, no. I want a change, and Mac seems more reasonable than I've ever given it credit for. I also want to be able to run both platforms for programming and website design sakes. I'm sitting in class right now just drooling over my instructor's Mac laptop (not sure if it's a MacBook or a MacBook Pro, though). Definitely a change, and Mac's interface looks prettier than Windows' does. ^_^
lol! I used to do that over my friend's iBook back in the day. If its white or black it's a MacBook; brushed metal, a MacBook Pro ; ]

Are you planning on running virtualization software to run Windows, right? It would be a little uncomfortable to reboot every time you want to see a website on IE.
( Last edited by liquidsilver6840; Jul 12, 2007 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Misspelled uncomfortable)

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 01:37 PM

Parallels. It's what my instructor uses.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2007, 01:59 PM

Don't forget that since you're an educational instructor, you qualify for an education discount. Visit The Apple Store (U.S.) and click on the Education link on the right hand side (there's a list of three, Business, Education, and Government.)

You'll also have to choose between Matte or Glossy display. If you're going to be indoors a lot, I'd suggest the Matte display.

Here is my official suggestion:
  • 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM
  • 4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
  • SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
  • MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
  • Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
  • Accessory Kit
  • AppleCare Protection Plan

Subtotal $2,974.00
Estimated Ship:
7-10 business days
Free Shipping

Of course, it's $675 cheaper if you go with just 2GB of RAM (maybe upgrade it later on.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 05:29 PM

Unfortunately, I'm only a student, not a teacher.

And I was planning on ordering the 17" with as much HD space as I could get (320GB, wasn't it?).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2007, 05:37 PM

Buying 2x2GB from a third party is $300ish... you'd be a fool to buy RAM from Apple.

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 05:41 PM

Ah, but there are no Mac stores within even bus distance from where I live, and I can't drive yet.

vertigociel
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2007, 05:43 PM

Unfortunately, I'm only a student, not a teacher.

And I was planning on ordering the 17" with as much HD space as I could get (320GB, wasn't it?).
If you're a University student, you qualify for a 10% discount. Click the "Education - Savings for Students, Staff, and Faculty" on the right side of the Apple Store page. It'll take you to a page where you can select your college, and you're good. Most of the time they don't even ask for a Student ID.
15" MacBook Pro C2D, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Matte Display.

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 05:45 PM

I'm not a university student... I take my courses at a school that's not part of the provincial OR federal government's education system. =\

EDIT: Ah, I probably should have mentioned this earlier... I'm Canadian, not American.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 09:37 PM

Apple Store has 17" MBP with 1 year warranty

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
17-inch widescreen display
1GB memory
120GB hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight camera

• Save 29% off Original price: $2,799.00
Your price: $1,999.00

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 09:39 PM

29% off is $800? Wow. =\

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 09:55 PM

29% off is $800? Wow. =\

Yeah that is why I always checked Apple's website for refurbs.... I don't know if it is the same in Canada?

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 09:58 PM

The deals are probably the same in Canada (or else we'd just order from America), but everything costs $200 more than it does on the American site.

Adding 2GB of RAM costs $750 on the American site, and $900 on the Canadian site. That's after currency conversions and everything.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2007, 10:00 PM

Apple Store Canada doesn't show percent off like US Store.....

price is different also! $2199

The Apple Store (Canada)

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
17-inch widescreen display
1GB memory
120GB hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight camera

Price: $2,199.00

Estimated Ship:
3-5 business days
Free Shipping

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 12, 2007, 10:15 PM

The $2,199 is also in Canadian dollars, so it would be slightly higher than the American dollar.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 12:50 AM

If you like Big (lots of pixels) screens the 17" has the option of a higher res screen upgrade. personally if Money was no object i would get the 15" with full specs and Apple care.

kga1978
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 13, 2007, 01:00 PM

I'll just add my 5 cents here. I would definitely go for the 17" version - especially now where you can upgrade the screen to a HiRes version.... I bought my 17" G4 a couple of years ago and never regretted it - it is bigger than the 15" (obviously..), but it really isn't a problem in everyday life. If you wanted to have a "compact" laptop then you would have to go for the MacBook series anyway....!

Good luck - and oh my - this laptop is going to be so much better than any PC you have ever tried

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 13, 2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah. I spent $1000 on an HP PC and $1000 on upgrades that had to be ordered straight from HP, etc etc. It broke down a few weeks later (the HD was messed up). I took it to futureshop, and they installed another HD. I got home and turned my PC on, and it appears the HD they installed was also messed. By that time, however, my warranty had expired and I had no money.

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 13, 2007, 01:29 PM

White MacBook Pro.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2007, 01:29 PM

White or black - macbook
Aluminum - macbook pro

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 05:19 PM

Yeah. I spent $1000 on an HP PC and $1000 on upgrades that had to be ordered straight from HP, etc etc. It broke down a few weeks later (the HD was messed up). I took it to futureshop, and they installed another HD. I got home and turned my PC on, and it appears the HD they installed was also messed. By that time, however, my warranty had expired and I had no money.
The warranty on your HP only lasted for a few weeks?

Suikolove  (op)
Jul 13, 2007, 05:22 PM

It was supposedly a one-year warranty, but it expired a few weeks after I got it, and Hewlett Packard wouldn't renew it.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 13, 2007, 07:36 PM

Oh, you bought the computer second hand?

That would explain why you upgraded it as soon as you got it.

PEPPERRULES
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just one more thing: Suikolove, even if it turns out that you prefer Windows, you can run only Windows on it and essentially turn your Mac into just another Windows machine. If performance for certain apps is critical, you can also have a dual boot solution (as some members have mentioned, you do that with Boot Camp): then your Mac is just as fast as any Windows PC with similar specs (Core 2 Duo goodness, etc.).
Definitely go for the dual boot option with . If you want to run anything high performance, then it is the only way to go.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2007, 08:10 PM

The answer is easy: You want a Macbook Pro fully loaded with third party (I use OWC) RAM. If you intend graphics or other heavy apps get the highest end box. And, the 17" size is a bit more powerful and also better when no external monitor is connected if you deal with images.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules