Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone apps don't work

iPhone apps don't work
taldrich
Jul 24, 2008, 06:18 AM

I have gone a little crazy buying apps for my iPhone. They worked fine when I got them, but then they stopped working a few days later.

I did a 'restore' from iTunes, and downloaded again the apps from the App store, and that was OK for a while. Now they've stopped working again.

I touch the relevant app to start it, the screen goes black, and then the home screen reappears.

Is this a common problem? Any ideas?
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2008, 06:54 AM

There are complaints about the apps and the 2.0 firmware all over the net. Back off and wait awhile. If you can, go back to 1.1.4.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

taldrich  (op)
Jul 24, 2008, 07:01 AM

OK understood. I think Apple need to work on some damage limitation, because between the MobileMe mess, the iPhone 2.0 mess and the iPhone activation mess, there is a lot of bad publicity going around.
"most people are fools, most authority is malignant, god does not exist and everything is wrong" - Ted Nelson

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2008, 07:58 AM

When that happens I usually restart the phone and everything works as expected.
It does happen way more often than with 1.1.4 but I guess the 2.0.1 update is closer than we think.

Cincojoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
There are complaints about the apps and the 2.0 firmware all over the net. Back off and wait awhile. If you can, go back to 1.1.4.
I think we have a right to bash Apple on this matter. There is no QC being done on these apps that are being released through the Apps store. Hell, I don't think Apple is even QCing there own software. I have two apps made by Apple that crash. This is 100% Apples responsibility.
Power Mac 2.0 with 4GB RAM

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2008, 10:12 PM

Its not the apps' fault in this case. This is 100% an iPhone OS issue. This even can happen with an app that never writes any settings or data. That means that app always launches fresh - and if it can happen on an app that launches fresh, that means something in the OS itself is messing up.

But I'm sure you'll see this in an update very shortly

Forum Links
Forum Rules