Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Steel toe work boots

Steel toe work boots (Page 2)
ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 06:54 AM

Definitely cheaper than what I paid.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 08:24 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure if price hadn't been a factor I would have gone with Red Wing.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 06:08 PM

Well, I've had several good months of averaging 600 a week, plus some tips. I saved a while to get something good.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2010, 07:49 PM

March was pretty brutal for me. We actually had to lay half our guys off for the month. I think I averaged about 30 hours each two week pay period.

Anyway, been wearing the Original SWATs around to kinda break them in (which is turns out wasn't necessary). I can't get over how lightweight these things are. We'll see how work goes tomorrow.

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 09:41 PM

So far the Original SWATs get a big .

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2010, 08:22 AM

Glad to hear. I tell ya, I think I'm finally breaking in the these Red Wings. I can tell they are gonna last a long time by how long they take to break in.

I hate breaking in new boots. I'm constantly untying them and retying them to get comfortable... I think I finally got them whipped.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
May 2, 2010, 08:47 PM

Well, after a week and a half of wearing them almost all day, I have to say they are broken in and fitting very well. These things are almost as comfortable as any pair of shoes I've ever had. Heavier, but still. I can highly recommend these things to anyone wanting to spend a small fortune on boots. Holy crap these things are awesome.

crashcrad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2011, 01:24 AM

I purchased these boots for my husband and he said they were comfortable but the only thing wrong with them was they came apart at the seams and since walmart discontinued them we are not out the 50.00 we spent on them.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2011, 03:28 AM

I have a pair of Red Wings that I just can't kill. Worked lots of summers for my dad's heavy construction company and done a lot of other stuff in them. Resoled once and probably ready for a second go around at this point. Highly recommend them.

Also check out Whites Boots:
White's Boots, Hunting Boots, Pac Boots, Work Boots, Outdoor Clothing

I have a few friends that work long hours as Hotshots during the summers and they swear by Whites. Whites also does repairs like Red Wing.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2011, 06:21 AM

I still have Red Wings, but I don't do the job I used to do. I moved, so I quit that job. Got a job with Hilton now, so no need for Red Wings there.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2011, 12:05 PM

I don't care for steel toe boots, but I've been buying Vasque shoes for working construction for a decade now. They are sold in Red Wing stores and are more or less indestructible. I just bought a new pair, but I still use the old ones for crap work, like mixing concrete or roofing.

finboy
Jun 27, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Well, after a week and a half of wearing them almost all day, I have to say they are broken in and fitting very well. These things are almost as comfortable as any pair of shoes I've ever had. Heavier, but still. I can highly recommend these things to anyone wanting to spend a small fortune on boots. Holy crap these things are awesome.
I loved my Red Wings back in the day. I had a pair that I wore every day for 5-6 years. They finally bit the dust when my roommate took them caving.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2011, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I don't care for steel toe boots, but I've been buying Vasque shoes for working construction for a decade now. They are sold in Red Wing stores and are more or less indestructible. I just bought a new pair, but I still use the old ones for crap work, like mixing concrete or roofing.
Vasque's hiking and trail running shoes/boots are awesome. I buy their trail running shoes for everyday wear and they've outlasted every pair of Nikes I've owned by a mile. Nikes used to last me only 3-6 months while my Vasques have all lasted at least a year. They're carried at most outdoor stores.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Forum Links
Forum Rules