Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Fallout 4

Fallout 4 (Page 4)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 21, 2015, 11:47 PM

Strong + Stunning Super-sledge = Prone deathclaws with my shotgun shoved in their mouth

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2015, 04:12 PM

Well, I've run into a bug that will keep me from progressing on the main quest. I don't know if it's the kind of thing they'll ever fix with a patch, but I'm furious, having just passed the 50-hour mark.

I think all of you are far past this point, but spoiler alert just in case...

I'm thinking about going back to a previous save (about 15 minutes before) and doing more of the side quests. I'll return sometime later to see if it affects anything. I never experienced this with Skyrim, so I'm beyond frustrated.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2015, 04:56 PM

I have a railroad quest I can't turn in. It's a side quest, but it's very odd. I thought perhaps progressing the main story or doing other railroad quests might clear up the issue, but no dice.

I think tonight I start my "infiltration" of the BoS.

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised how much I still can use skill points at least 70, though it does involve heavily investing into SPECIAL so you can use higher tier stuff.

Enemies are becoming bullet spongy now, so I'm trying to do stealth melee kills for the extra damage bonus.

Anybody use the assault rifles? I'll have to double check, but I think they're outclassed by .308 combat rifles, .50 snipers, and my incendiary SMG.

I'm sad because my pistols are weak once you get to higher levels.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2015, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I have a railroad quest I can't turn in. It's a side quest, but it's very odd. I thought perhaps progressing the main story or doing other railroad quests might clear up the issue, but no dice.
I have two 'glitched' quests.

just in case

I haven't played much lately due to an unexpected resurgence of Rocket League, coupled with little time to game over the holidays. I'm not sure if my current lack of interest in Fallout 4 means anything, other than I've just been busier than with previous Fallouts. Right now the mindless instant-fix of Rocket League is all I feel like getting involved in.

P
Dec 29, 2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm thinking about going back to a previous save (about 15 minutes before) and doing more of the side quests. I'll return sometime later to see if it affects anything. I never experienced this with Skyrim, so I'm beyond frustrated.
That can fix it. Usually such crashes are about what content is loaded or not.

That Danse mission sek is referring to - is that the repeating quests for the other people in the recon team? Because you don't need to speak with Danse for that every again, just speak to the two quest givers over and over for more missions.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 29, 2015, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I have two 'glitched' quests.

just in case

I haven't played much lately due to an unexpected resurgence of Rocket League, coupled with little time to game over the holidays. I'm not sure if my current lack of interest in Fallout 4 means anything, other than I've just been busier than with previous Fallouts. Right now the mindless instant-fix of Rocket League is all I feel like getting involved in.
It means you're getting old.

I'm somewhat curious what I'm going to return to after F4. I've been enjoying watching rainbow 6 gameplay but I don't think that'd be much fun without friends.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2015, 06:40 PM

Odd that it tells me to report to Danse as the final mission instruction but I suppose you're right, I was under the impression there would be an XP award from Danse himself.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2015, 12:52 AM

310 areas discovered according to my pipboy. And another murder I can't account for. Up to 9. How many for you, sek?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2015, 04:35 PM

Did not know this...

Turns out you can use HTML tags when renaming your weapons! You can underline, bold, and italicize your weapon's name in Fallout 4. In order to do this you must go to a weapons workbench and put the tag in front of your weapon's name.

The HTML tags I've found useful thusfar are the following:

<u> (This will underline the text)
<i> (This will make the text italicized)
<b> (This will bold the text)

Make sure the tag goes in front of the weapon's name, for example: <i>Deliverer = Deliverer

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 30, 2015, 05:30 PM

I swear I posted that two pages ago.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2015, 06:25 PM

310 areas discovered according to my pipboy. And another murder I can't account for. Up to 9. How many for you, sek?
213 locations and 8 murders.

You did post that html thing a page back, but not with the handy descriptions and whatnot.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2015, 07:19 PM

I swear I posted that two pages ago.
I miss things.

I blame kids. That usually seems to work.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 31, 2015, 12:39 AM

213 locations and 8 murders.
Remember any of dem murders? I'm beginning to wonder if its a bug or a crazy subtlety.

You did post that html thing a page back, but not with the handy descriptions and whatnot.
If you're too dumb to know the basics of HTML or forum code but need that 'enlightening' guide, you don't deserve to know.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2016, 01:40 AM

It’s been a while, but I’ve reached a good place with my weapons, so time to share.

For a while I was running a Plasmatic Sniper Rifle, but being that you can’t silence plasma weapons, it was a bit of a wash (this was when I was running my bolt-action pipe-pistol mini sniper, which while good was not very effective at longer ranges).

Well, I got a legendary violent gauss rifle, so I finally converted that. 400+ dmg, I believe, but with a long range scope, the extra kick from the ‘violent’ perk is a bit of a bear to deal with.

Next up, my mainstay, Sneak **** VI is the latest 10mm pistol I have, doing double damage on full health targets, making ideal for stealthing around and eliminating solo targets with a headshot. I briefly converted it to a ‘new’ sniper mini for those medium-range engagements that the gauss was too overpowered for but that was just supplanted by:

A rapid bolt-action pipe pistol. Perfect, as my other gripe aside from accuracy was the chambering speed for the next round. Haven’t field tested it yet, but looking forward to being able to do much quicker follow up shots on same or nearby targets.

My second standby was my ‘DMR’. A converted single shot combat rifle, the second gen added fire damage for an extra bonus. (Later I got a second rifle with the same bonus. More on that later). In the later levels here, I was finding it just wasn’t doing enough damage any more, even with the fire attribute when I had a small eureka and converted my former Plasmatic Sniper into a Plasmatic DMR. This worked positively in a few ways: First, it found a new use for a very powerful and upgraded weapon that looked sad being wasted in a safe. Second, plasma suffered as a sniper because of the slower projectile speed (and perhaps slightly lower accuracy?). As a DMR, I use the rifle at much shorter ranges (medium to short). Third, it’s a sight more powerful with hybrid damage.

On the subject of repurposing weapons, my Plasma Shotgun, which was a failure, saw new life as full-auto rifle. Blessed with the 25% faster fire rate, 15% faster reload, it can spit a lot of gooey orbs on close-range targets in a hurry. In early trials it’s been beastly. Highly recommended.

Previously I spoke of the fire-SMG being a little too broken. When fate gave me a second fiery combat rifle, I decided to try converting it to full auto to replace the SMG. The result doesn’t deal as rapid damage, but it does have some pretty good accuracy at longer ranges. Plus, the recoil is more manageable.

Finally, again in early testing, but I didn’t have much luck with laser weapons in the early going. I found them unwieldy and weak. While I’m sure my perks are padding the count, my latest drop was a irradiated rifle that does 50 pts of radiation damage, which effectively doubles the weapons output in full-auto mode. Couple with the laser’s electric ballistics, this weapon will wipe-out humans fairly quickly, and I find the recoil much more manageable than I remember.

All that aside, I’m curious if you guys have any truly unique weapons you’d like to share. I did finally get a legendary AR, but I find the AR seems to have no place in the game as its fire-rate and damage isn’t any better than combat rifles or SMGs.

Drops I’d love to see and haven’t: Enraging (Aside from a missile launcher that does this), Never ending, plasma infused. There are others I haven’t gotten but these seem like the best ones.

Some great combos I’d like to see is a bottomless shotgun, double-damage sniper, and bottomless auto-rifle.

JacobVR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2016, 12:09 PM

sure I'm gonna pick this up tomorrow

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2016, 03:11 PM

So I finally got around to uploading some of the screenshots I've been taking.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskoPFAqe

Also, here's a bonus clip of an unexpected encounter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P4MoPcRH3s

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 5, 2016, 03:20 PM

I must have so many screenshots at this point it'll need a guide

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2016, 12:36 PM

So I finally got around to uploading some of the screenshots I've been taking.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskoPFAqe
Well, this is mildly horrifying...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 6, 2016, 01:35 PM

I that entire place might have been the coolest location in the game.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2016, 08:14 PM

While I probably screwed some things up, I think I’ve reached a place where several missions are bugged. I’m also torn because while I’d like to do more missions for the Brotherhood, their very goals are so contrary to what I’m willing to do that I’m about ready to abandon that quest line.

As of right now:

This story is frustrating and annoying. Since the end is night I’ve been rapidly visiting the few locations I didn’t get around to exploring (Poseidon Energy, General Atomics, etc.)

P
Jan 11, 2016, 03:44 AM

I am not really happy with how the endings are set up. Without spoiling what happens, you can help either the BoS, the Railroad or the Institute, and all of them have their flaws. You can also support the Minutemen, but that just becomes the Railroad missions. At least when I played through the Institute mission line, there was a point where a dialog box popped up to tell me that if I went any further, I would alienate the BoS. (The point where you alienate the Railroad is, shall we say, obvious, and you can smooth-talk your way out of the confrontation with the Minutemen.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 29, 2016, 05:57 PM

Yes, I've still been playing. I think I'm hanging it up without beating the game. I have bugged missions and bugged traders I'd like to see fixed, plus I'm on the precipice of having to start pissing off factions. I think I'll return once DLC arrives - or if R6 sucks.

Final totals:
14+ days played, level 100+, 318 locations discovered (should be higher, pretty sure it too was bugged for some time). Will hopefully pull images and start posting some time next week.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 1, 2016, 03:48 PM

I've actually returned to the wasteland after getting the itch again.

Decided to break my "no cheating with the internet" self-imposed rule and look up bobbleheads. Turns out I missed at least 4 of those bastards in places I had already cleared out, like Saugus Iron Works and Dunwich Borers. The latter was oddly still cleared out (even though the map didn't say it) but I had to battle my way through a couple familiar places due to my own inobservance. Snagged all of them with the Cabot quest as the final one. Of course this was the perfect time to finally use the power armor instead of stashing my cores for some theoretical end-game scenario.

I actually started to have a blast after a while in the armor, but boy did I eat through some pricey ammo. Nabbed Strong as a companion, what doesn't that guy dislike eh? Pick a lock he doesn't like it, put on armor he doesn't like it. Swapped him out and went back to Curie. I really wish I could have her and Valentine as companions, the Synth brigade.

Haven't found a weapon or piece of armor, power included, that bests what I already have in quite some time. Last night a Legendary dropped the same Laser Rifle I've been using since lvl 14.

How many members can the Gunners possibly have? I have mowed through battalions of their best men and yet they are still everywhere. I found Vault 95 and was disappointed it was just another Gunner base. Kind of bummed me out, the Vaults in previous games were less generic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 1, 2016, 03:54 PM

Patch coming out soon. Doesn't address my bugs.

P
Feb 12, 2016, 09:07 AM

Did anyone try survival mode? Because it seems that they will fix that in a future patch, so it works like New Vegas, and that just might entice me to give it another runthrough.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2016, 03:24 PM

I've avoided this thread because spoilers, but I'm hearing whispers the game is... problematic.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2016, 03:37 PM

In what sense? The story has several nonsensical aspects but it doesn't make the game any less fun.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2016, 03:41 PM

The description I heard was "it's great if you drop the idea it's an open-world game and consider it a linear dungeon crawler".

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2016, 03:47 PM

I've also heard it's less RPG and more shooter. Did they do massive alterations to the F3 SPECIAL system implementation?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2016, 04:21 PM

Definitely shooter. Don't really agree with the linearity comment.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2016, 04:37 PM

Definitely shooter.
Ew.

P
Feb 16, 2016, 06:21 PM

It is absolutely open world - nothing forces you to do the story, and if you get bored, you can stop at any time. The story itself branches into 4 possibilities about half way through, more or less exactly like New Vegas, but with the exception that the game doesn't end when you finish the main story so you can play along in your chosen utopia. The only bit that is on rails is the integrated tutorial in the beginning. You also need to understand how the difficulty works - you control it yourself by where you go, as the game gets more difficult the further south you are.

As for RPG/shooter... it is a shooter in the action sequences and an RPG when exploring, much like Fallout 3 was. VATS is changed in that it doesn't stop time, merely slows it, but it is still a bolt-on RPG element to a shooter. The SPECIAL system is changed in that the skills system from the Elder Scrolls games is gone, and you only have SPECIAL and perks. Most of the old skills are now perks, and require a certain minimum SPECIAL level to unlock. Whenever you reach the next level, you get an upgrade point that can be used to either buy a perk or upgrade a SPECIAL level. All in all it is easier to understand than the old system and mostly works better.

Power armor is different. It is now something you more or less always have access to, but can't use all the time because you run out of batteries for it. This means that your gear matters all the game through, and you can always run back home and pick up the armor if a certain battle gets too hard.

Coming more from the RPG side of things, I would say that Fallout 4 is like Fallout 3 but a little bit improved in every element. There is more of a debate when it comes to 4 versus New Vegas, which does some things better than 4 and falls down on others, but if you liked F3, you'll like this. Story is better, graphics are better, crafting is better, companions are way better, and it still feels like Fallout.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2016, 08:19 PM

That sounds... interesting, but not exactly what I would have hoped for.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2016, 02:16 AM

Bethesda games are buggy. Period. If you can't live with that you don't want any Bethesda title. And, they often lack the purely graphical capabilities that you find in other modern engines. BUT, the tradeoff is that they are magnificently modable (at least the FO series and ES series):

So, for those asking what kind of game it is; the answer is that it is a game that can be what you want it to be. Want it to be mostly a pure-rpg with turn-based combat? Install a mod that gives you infinite AP and thus infinite VATS, then install a mod that turns VATS back into a full-stop system rather than a slow-motion system. Now you have something akin to a turn-based RPG. Want an FPS game? Simply never use VATS; now it is an action RPG. Like the blend? Then leave it as-is. Too easy (a common problem with Bethesda titles), then mod it for more difficulty. And so on.

Out of the box it is a blend of fps and open-world rpg. It has decent characters and voice-acting, but lacks the multi-character depth of a title such as DAO. Overall, it's a game of world-exploration, if you want it to be. Or, if you prefer, you can just follow the main plot. Or, if you want, you can build mini-civilizations. Etc. Etc.

I can't imagine anyone who likes RPGs would be disappointed with Fallout 3, NV, or 4. And it might even appeal to people who usually just like FPS games; adding a bit of depth and RPG elements to a reasonably good shooter if you prefer to play that way.

P
Apr 2, 2016, 02:31 PM

Zombie thread - or ghoulified thread, perhaps - but I figured it might be worth talking about Survival mode for a second. It is out in beta, PC Steam only, and fully playable.

The main changes are that saves are restricted to sleep, no fast travel, you need to eat and drink to stay alive, there are diseases, and all weapons do a lot more damage. All in all, it is a major change, and it certainly makes things harder, but I think I might enjoy this.

I started a fresh game with this setting, to see how hard it really is. The answer is "very", but only because the first scripted mission (going through the Museum of Freedom to fight raiders and a Deathclaw) is very hard with basic weapons and no skills. It gets better once you're through that.

Combat now takes some real strategy. You can kill most enemies with two shots early on, even with the base pistol, but they can do you real damage too. his means that surprise is vital. Ambushes can be deadly, and bugs that come from nowhere and are hard to hit can ruin your day.

Building up some settlements will probably be vital, if only so you can have some save points. I tried to strike out towards Diamond City, but died on one of those bugs. I think I need to unlock places like Graygarden to have a save point along the way.

Some masochist inside Bethesda has decreased carry weight further, and made so you continually take damage if over encumbered. This effectively kills the exploration and dumpster diving part of the game. It really feels excessive, and will mean that I won't be upgrading all those settlements like I did in my regular run.

All in all, I like it. Some bugs to squash and I really wish that they do something about the carry weight thing, but it does change the game enough that it might be interesting to give it another try.

P
Apr 8, 2016, 06:32 PM

Fallout 4 Survival mode is a very strange experience. It is frustrating to fight your way mostly through a dungeon only to die near the end, or on the way out and back to a save point (sleeping bag). It is extremely annoying to think that you're fighting perfectly only to die on a lucky headshot or grenade. Traps like mines can kill you directly - a split second of inattention, and it's back to the start.

Normally this would be too much for me to try to get in to, but right now I'm down with a bad cold and can't leave the house, so I have some time. Early on, I got a mission to kill some raiders in Corvega Assembly Plant. I have done that dungeon a million times, but I did it with free saves and bullet sponge mechanics. This was something different. In the end, I finished it by slowly picking off all the outside guards using a sniper rifle, going back to save, and finally taking the inside guards commando style through one of the upper entrances. I must have died 20 times, but when I finally made it through, I realized why I liked it. I had played a game like this before. In that game, you walked around knowing nothing of where you were headed, finding treasures in places where there were no hints that they would be, dying 20 times on a single dungeon to get a prize at the end. If you ended up in the wrong spot too early, you died. A few times you simply had to run away from all monsters to move on - there was no chance to kill them.

It was a little game called The Legend of Zelda.

P
Apr 14, 2016, 09:50 AM

A little story to illustrate why this game is so different in Survival mode.

After the passage above, I struck out for Diamond city, and eventually got there. Picked up Piper, rescued Valentine, and then decided that I wanted to join the Railroad for a bit. I never did their missions last time (except the first two), so it would be a nice change of pace. On to the Freedom Trail!

Issue one was getting there. This part of Boston is full of Raiders, Ghouls and Super Mutants. Sneaking and running away got me to the starting point, but from that point I had to follow the red line. Yes, I knew where to go and could have just cheated by looking it all up online, but what fun is that? So I start walking, and dying. Eventually I start looking through nearby buildings for sleeping bags to save at, to slowly work my way forward. I make a small sidetrack to Goodneighbour to sell some things I found, and the initial scare (someone wants to rob you for walking in the door, and its mayor saves you) made me think that I would have to reload again.

After that I got fairly stuck. Along the path, from that point, there are two dogs straight ahead, and then you drop down behind a bus onto two awakening ghouls and right into an ambush of raiders, who have a base near by. Eventually someone drops a grenade on you, and that's it. Running away along the line to the right is impossible, because there is a big Super mutant base, including one suicider and one guy with a rocket launcher, sitting right on top of the line there. Retreat is blocked by the bus, that is a one way drop. After a few tries, I made a left early on to circle around the ambush point, and found that there were Gunners sitting outside the Mass Fusion building going that way. Those I could ambush, come up to the Raiders from the side and snipe them, and rejoin the red line before the Super mutant base. The Super mutants are hard, because of the suicider and rockets which one-shot you, but I find my way up onto a nearby roof and start sniping them. Eventually this is over, I find and revive Piper again, and creep along the line some more. There is more gunfire, but none straight in my path, so I just creep and reach the church.

It is not over. The church is full of ghouls that jump out at you, and they're deadly in this mode. I send Piper off to troll, because I don't want to die now, and the follow up with a shotgun I found. Finally I meet the Railroad, say the nice things, and is shown the door. They don't let me in, I have to do one mission first. Usually no big deal, but now it means I don't get to save. I still haven't saved since Goodneighbour. I can't go back there now, it is far and some monsters will likely have respawned. I decide to try to creep north, away from the city center and towards Bunker Hill. I get to the river, and stumble upon a price: A transport barge with a complete T-51 Power Armor. I didn't have one yet - I am low level for a T-51 to drop at all - and this is perfect timing. I open the lock, get in, and think that it will be easy from here.

Not so much. Still have to cross the river, and on my way to the closest bridge, there is an ambush again. You are not the unstoppable monster in Power Armor in this mode - I am in real trouble. I decide to take the coward's way out - I jump into the river. I walk along the bottom, taking quite some rads along the way, and find my way up on the other side. Piper "dies", ie goes back to her home base when I can't reach her to revive her, and I finally manage to get to Bunker Hill to sleep and save.

All of this would have been entirely different in the regular mode. I could have fast traveled to the start, saved over and over to grind my way through the trail, grenades and rocket launchers would have been annoying but not deadly, and I could have fast traveled my way from the Church at the end. Now, I had to run away several times, my way of handling the ambush situation was much more enjoyable than just blasting my way through, and that T-51 was a real prize.

If only they could stop nerfing the carry weight.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2016, 01:47 PM

My question is whether or not you'll finish the game this way. Can it stay fun/rewarding?

P
Apr 14, 2016, 04:19 PM

If you mean complete the main quest, I don't know. I have seen what happens after all, not the biggest draw in itself. It is not terribly long, I could probably have finished most of it by now if I had bothered with it beyond rescuing Valentine. I might do it with one of the other factions eventually.

But rewarding... yes, I think so. It becomes a lot harder, but the base game is quite easy, so it remains at a reasonable level. Grenades kill, missiles can wreck your day, and I wish that the Power Armor was more effective at protecting you giving how hard it is to get cores for it, but in general it becomes much more strategic, and I like that. Having to really work for those harder missions and grabbing stuff for the mods really does help make the game interesting.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2016, 04:32 PM

Good story.

P
Apr 21, 2016, 05:09 AM

Quick reviews on the DLC packs that are out now. For various reasons I have the Season Pass (it was cheap, and I bought it after the detailed DLCs were announced, so more like a bundle than buying DLC sight unseen) so they're installed automatically every now and then.

Wasteland Workshop: You can us the workshop to build a bunch of new things, like lit signs, a Fusion reactor, motorized pumps, a decontamination arch and the selling point - cages for monsters in the Wasteland. Supposedly you can make the monsters fight each other, but the trick is that to capture the monsters, you need the relevant perks. I'm not wasting levels on that. Big yawn.

Automatron: A new enemy shows up, with lots of robots and an associated questline, but the main point about this is that you can now make your own robots in a settlement, to use as companions or to work in the settlements. This last is a bit overpowered - you can build something like an Assaultron or a Sentry Bot to defend a place - but OTOH we all got bored with defending our settlements a long time ago. Building robots is fun and the questline is pretty good, there is some new gear...all in all, this was a good DLC.

Far Harbor is in the beta now, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cuulio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2016, 02:58 AM

Finally got this game. I like it even more than fallout 3.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2016, 03:31 PM

Crazy fandom stuff.

"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2016, 05:12 PM

Anyone else playing Far Harbor?

So far I'm really enjoying it, mostly thanks to the creepy atmosphere of the island. Side-quests have been intriguing, new enemies and weapons are pretty neat as well.

It's very similar in execution to Point Lookout for F3, and that's a good thing.

P
Jun 9, 2016, 04:53 AM

Right now I am stuck in a Stellaris-shaped hole, but I will play it. Eventually.

(Also I need a new display after the iMac died, and that will happen after WWDC announcements of new MBPs or no, but it isn't too far away now.)

reeses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2016, 08:11 AM

A little obsessed with this Ballout video! Basketball trick shots in Fallout...

Fallout 4 Player Goes On Drug-Addled Basketball Odyssey

reeses
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2016, 08:20 AM

Also, one question I was thinking of today...

Skyrim or Fallout 4...if you could only play one, which would you take?

P
Jun 10, 2016, 08:39 AM

Fallout 4. I wrote this earlier, but I burned past my total Skyrim playtime early on.

I think the difference is that Skyrim is uneven - there are good things, but there are also terrible things. The entire inventory interface is abysmal and the level up interface is regularly featured on "worst interface ever" lists; the base story is not too terrible, but it isn't particularly good either, and many of the sub-quests are moronic; the world and its mythos has good points, but it also goes completely off the rails at times.

Fallout 4 has none of these weaknesses. The interface isn't the best, but it fits with the world that it is a bit finicky. It isn't "OMG pretty!" but it does look life-like - and lived in. The main story is actually quite decent, even if I have issues with it (why can't the BOS and the Railroad co-exist?), and the world and the background is great.

I always used to drop out of Skyrim when it went off the rails in one way or another, and eventually that wore me down and I stopped plating. Fallout 4 kept me in much longer because it never fell below that level, and I only quit because I forced myself to (the first time) and because of a computer malfunction (the second time).

andi*pandi
Sep 22, 2016, 12:34 PM

Finally got this for kid in july, he's had a blast with it and has convinced me to play. So I've started a fresh game (nice that I can play as a gal) and have just made friends with dogmeat. Die, giant roaches, die!

This summer as we went places around Boston he'd be amazed how similar/not it was to the game. Castle Island in particular. Unfortunately, our own house seems to be in the midst of a nuclear swamp.

He is bugging me for Far Harbor and other expansions... worth it?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 22, 2016, 12:47 PM

I haven't played the DLC yet but from what recall far harbor was well received.

Forum Links
Forum Rules