Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > New Router Killing my MBP?

New Router Killing my MBP?
antipode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2016, 07:10 PM

So, massive east coast internet outage last week ends up bricking my TP router. So, I take Time Warner up on the offer to use their all-in-one router/modem.

I log into the interface to change the channel from 11 to 1 because of my neighbors.

But now, all web pages load REALLY slowly, and buffering is hell.

Speedtest says that I have 30-50mbps.
My Tx rate is 400s.
My RSSI is -44

My iPhone on the same wifi shows no problem.

I've repaired permissions, restarted, and even checked Disk Utility to see if I had a hard drive problem. Nothing.

FWIW my wife's MBA is also slowed, but not to the same degree.

Any ideas at all?

reader50
Administrator
May 17, 2016, 10:48 PM

An internet outage shouldn't brick your old router. Try doing a factory reset - check the manual for how to do that.

Regarding the new router, if there is an Auto channel choice, try that one. The router will automatically switch channels as needed to get the best speed. If there's no Auto choice, try different channel numbers manually.

ibook_steve
May 18, 2016, 06:59 PM

I would never use an ISP's router. Get a good one like Airport Extreme (despite my recent thread about the issues I had, still love it) or Wirecutter's recommendation of a TP-Link. At the same time, I hope you're not renting that router/modem. Buy a standalone cable modem and ditch the monthly charge.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

antipode  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2016, 05:30 PM

My old router was a TP-Link. Worked well.

But after a 20 hour internet outage (Internet Outages Plague Cox and Time Warner Cable Customers - Fortune) my router never came back online. 2 hours of troubleshooting with tech produced nothing. So in a pinch, I pushed TW to turn on my modem/router so that I had something immediately.

I switched it back to Auto-Channel, but no luck there.

I guess what I really don't understand is how I have good SpeedTests, and a good Tx rate, but slow service. Should I reset the router? Is there something I'm missing?

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2016, 10:23 AM

Factory reset your original router. Not just "unplug and wait a while," but the whole shebang. Read here for how to do it. You want the router to be essentially virgin, and not only with the "reset button" technique wake up a router that seems to be a brick, but it will wipe everything (and I do mean everything) in its nonvolatile storage. That's almost certainly the reason it seems to be "bricked."

Now set the router up from scratch - WIRE into it and use the instructions from the manufacturer's FAQ to log in.

If a factory reset does not resurrect your router, it's truly dead - but your ISP didn't kill it. That's a coincidence.

What router did Time Warner give you? There are ways to convince these boxes to behave the way you want them to.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2016, 06:25 AM

If your iPhone is fine on the router surely that suggests an issue withe the MBP?

Have you checked your DNS settings?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2016, 07:50 PM

Excellent point, Waragainstsleep. The MBP may have enough "compromise" settings from earlier (or from trying to get the TW router to work) that it's slowed down by those compromises. Bad DNS is one potential cause.

One easy thing to try is just deleting the network from the MBP and connecting to it like everything is brand new.

Of course if that doesn't work, then there is something different screwing things up. The phone's settings may have a key to what that is, but before I suggest comparing settings on the phone to those on the MBP, a brand-spanking-new wi-fi setup on the MBP is a quick, easy, and free step to take that may just fix the problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules