Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What to do with my old 9600?

What to do with my old 9600?
3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 7, 2002, 06:37 PM

Hey everyone. I'm in need of ideas. I've got an old 9600/200. I currently have in it a 180 dual 604e card. I have a 6 gig drive in there, and 128 Megs of RAM. I'm looking for OS/useful implementations for this machine.

So far, I've installed (and removed):
MK Linux
Mac OS X DP 3
Mac OS X Server 1.2
Mac OS 8 Beta

I also can't get Darwin 1.4.1 to boot off the install CD.

I'd like to put on BeOS to play with, but I've lost my CD years ago. It was really great on a Dual 200 604e card. Does anyone know where I can d/l BeOS? Their last version was 5, and PC only. I think I used the free version 2 back in 1998.

I really don't know what to do with this machine. I already have a "real" OS X server, and I DON'T have any more G3 upgrade cards lying around.

Suggestions? Be creative Fire away, please!

-GregM.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 7, 2002, 06:38 PM

bigger drive, then it's a Hotline/Carracho server
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 10:48 AM

The ubiquitous MP3Jukebox, that everyone seems to suggest. Your machine would handle it quite nicely. You could add a large drive and use it to store all your MP3s and play them into your stereo through the headphone line on the 9600 or if you have the RCA jacks on the back of your model (likely better line quality).

If you want use it as a backup webserver or testing server running YellowDog Linux. I set up several systems and they perform really well as a server. The video isn't the 'best' performance, but if its simply a headless server you don't need to worry about that.

Learning linux gives you an affordable way to see all the workings of the internet and how they fit together. If you are the adventurous type or love learning about technologies I'd highly recommend trying this.

3dAnimation  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2002, 03:59 PM

Wow, all very good suggestions.

I already had a HL server. I'm through living on the edge (for now

I'm not interested in any more webservers.

Linux. I've tried several times to get into it, and just haven't found the right way I guess. I have bookmarks galore, and none really help me out. I love the idea. I already dig OS X, and don't shy away from Darwin. I just need a good starting place. Perhaps if you know a good reference site for Yellow Dog. (additionally, the best place to d/l your favorite version of Linux from) What about Darwin? Can Darwin run on a dual 604e.

MP3 Server. How attractive! I've got several thousand MP3s already, and haven't really started burning my CD collection. It COULD be really fun to figure out how to control the Server when my living room is downstairs, and the Server upstairs... This has possibilites.

If anyone else has any ideas (or help with the Linux stuff) please add them!

-GregM.

bluedog
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2002, 10:54 PM

Darwin *can* run on the 604e with patches to it from Ryan Rempel. I think the installation may be a bit trickier, but its definitely possible. As a matter of fact, thats a good thought for my 8500 I've got around. For server use, the GUI is just overhead.

You can set up the MP3 server with a wireless remote (if its a radio-frequency one it will go though walls) to control the MP3s such as skip/next/play/stop. I tried this with my Logitech wireless and it actually worked from our basement to the 2nd floor (but just barely on the upstairs). I don't use the remote any longer, but I have wireless speakers I move about the house that are hooked up to the stereo that has the computer on one of its line-in jacks.

This is a really great way to get the bang from your MP3 collection if you want to listen to them away from the computer. In an apartment or small house its probably ok to simply use the computer or have it plugged into the stereo. The wireless speakers simply add the convenience of a little bit outside (on the patio) or playing quietly in a room in the house.

Once you have all your music available at your whim via MP3s its really liberating. I've tried to rig a networked laptop (via ethernet cable) into our kitchen with an interface to play the MP3s and switch songs. It seemed to be a good idea at the time, but I only got as far as fitting it into a picture frame with the screen framed just like a photo. Setting it up is a bit more work and I haven't had the time.

Links to good information:
<a href="http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/framework.cfm" target="_blank">http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/framework.cfm</a>

<a href="http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/" target="_blank">http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/</a>
<a href="http://developer.apple.com/darwin/" target="_blank">http://developer.apple.com/darwin/</a>

Enjoy!

<small>[ 07-08-2002, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: bluedog ]</small>

Forum Links
Forum Rules