Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CD-ROM Firmware in Mac?

CD-ROM Firmware in Mac?
-1984-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2001, 02:56 PM

Is it possible to upgrade CD-ROM firmware used in a Mac? I have a CD-ROM drive supported by CD-ROM Toolkit that's acting oddly in my PowerComputing clone. I noticed online Windows users have access to firmware upgrades. Does the same apply to Macs and clones?

Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2001, 02:25 AM

Updating drive firmware is a rare occurance in the Mac community, and as such you will almost definitly not be able to update firmware on your CD-ROM. As for open firmware updates for your system, unless your manufacturer posted such an update there is no update.

What is causing you to think that you need a firmware update? That seems like a huge longshot when trying to diagnose a drive issue.

-1984-  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2001, 09:22 AM

The drive isn't mounting CDs burned with a home CDRW burner as well as some dual-session CDs. It was a long shot anyway. But since it's only a 12x drive, I'll probably break down and replace the thing.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: -1984- ]
Remember, Windows is just DOS in a clown face.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2001, 09:17 PM

On ocasion, older CR-ROMs will not read home burnt disks correctly. So, my guess is that you probably will have to purchase a newer drive.

Jerome

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by -1984-:
[QB]The drive isn't mounting CDs burned with a home CDRW burner as well as some dual-session CDs. It was a long shot anyway. But since it's only a 12x drive, I'll probably break down and replace the thing.

Did you ever try burning a test CD at a lower speed, like just a "humble" 2x or 4x? This sometimes helps with the problem that a CD-ROM drive cannot read a CD burnt with a high-speed burner. In this case, it be not the CD-ROM drive's problem, but a not-so-perfect alignment of the CDRW when burning at high speeds.

Maybe of some help,

Walter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules