Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple announces transition to Intel chips

Apple announces transition to Intel chips
Nick
Jun 6, 2005, 02:31 PM

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 02:53 PM

Indeed.

Well no new Mac for me then (for a year)

[Where's iTunes 4.9 - you can't demo something twice and then not release it!]

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 02:54 PM

I'm praying that this Rosetta stuff actually works as advertised. It all depends on that.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jun 6, 2005, 02:55 PM

So does this mean that the next macs will be x86 platform, or will Intel be making the next series of PowerPC chips? I do find it intesteresting that everyone makes out IBM as the PowerPC people when old Moto was making them for apple before IBM.
- Eric

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 02:57 PM

If I had had to bet, I woud have bet wrong!

I think it is a good thing...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 02:57 PM

What, exactly, was announced ? What specs, if any, were mentioned ? Can I build a PC - erm - Mac using off the shelf components ? Or is it still an Apple motherboard ?

I'm struggling to find something positive about this news. I get an aweful feeling that this is all down to a spat between Steve and IBM.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 02:59 PM

Well, at least I'll get a good 3 or 4 years out of my G5, before I get an Intel Powerbook/PowerMac.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

waxcrash
Mac Elite

This is a sad day.

AssassyN
Professional Poster

Sweet. This is the first time in my life I can safely hold off on a new Mac, because I actually have tangible evidence that something awesome is coming down the pipe instead of hoping rumor sites are correct. I want an Intel-based PowerBook, badly.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 03:00 PM

I means the next Macs (probably a couple of revisions down the road, actually) will be on x86. You can see in the article that it contrasts the new Macs with "the PowerPC."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2005, 03:00 PM

I wonder what this will do to computer sales in general. Some Windows users may wait to buy a new PC.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:01 PM

This sucks so hard because I wanted to buy a PowerMac at the end of the year. Guess i'll buy a mac mini in the beginning of 2006 to fill the gap.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
So does this mean that the next macs will be x86 platform, or will Intel be making the next series of PowerPC chips? I do find it intesteresting that everyone makes out IBM as the PowerPC people when old Moto was making them for apple before IBM.

It mean that Apple is switching to Pentium chips. The same chips Steve have been making fun of for the past 10 years.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OreoCookie
Jun 6, 2005, 03:02 PM

We are living in crazy times: MS uses PowerPCs in future products, Apple uses Intel As long as they work like a Mac … but I guess I have to postpone my next purchase for a bit then
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 03:03 PM

Anyway, I guess there won't be any G5 PowerBooks this year.
But despite cries of doom, this could be good for Apple in the long run, cheaper prices, no supply problems, etc. I hope so at least. Plus, I won't haver to save money on a new PowerBook for at least 18 months.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:03 PM

The most bizarre thing: no announcement on Apple's main page - are they just not going to draw attention to "the roadmap"?

And what the hell are they going to sell for the next year?!

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:04 PM

It's clear that Steve is thinking very, very long-term about the company. The fact that every build of OS X has been compiled for both platform – apparently including all the core technologies – means he and the rest of the decision makers have had their doubts about PPC for a while. In one sense they've covered their butts on this, as it means we won't see the desperate struggling we saw with the Copland/Rhapsody debacle. Developer machines are shipping with 10.4.1 in a week or two, which means we will get development sooner than later.

My big question is what this will do to Apple hardware sales over the next two years. It's a good thing the company has $4+ billion cash on hand.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:05 PM

I suspect a lot of people will hold off on buying a new Mac for awhile. Sales of PowerPC-based Macs will be in a slump soon, methinks. Once past that though (and assuming developers play along), I think it is a good thing. It was encouraging to see Adobe and MS behind this.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:07 PM

Same here, I was planning on a new mac next year, to replace my 4 year old G4. Not sure what I'll do now, oh well. It's all good!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:10 PM

Why Intel and not AMD?

Dalhectar
Jun 6, 2005, 03:10 PM

Given the first generation problems Apple normally has, it seems the smart thing to wait until the beginning or middle of 2007 to buy a new Mac (perhaps longer for the PowerMac G5 replacement). One can only hope that iPod sales can keep the company going while hardware sales plummet.

jools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 03:11 PM

What happened to Apple hardware sales in the mid 90's with the announced switch to PowerPC?
Can there be any correlation?

buggsuperstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2005, 03:12 PM

As long as Apple continues to produce leading-edge design on their hardware, and they keep up the development on their excellent OS, it doesn't matter too much what processor it runs on does it?

I appreciate Macs for their beautiful design and OS.

Whatever is under the hood is not going to stop me from purchasing and using them.

Who knows? Another 10 years down the line Macs may be running on AMD chips.

As long as the design and beautiful OS remain, Apple is set.

my 2 cents.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN

What will they do with that graph showing the G5 trouncing the P4?

I'm still stunned.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Millennium
Clinically Insane

Well, that settles it. I'm moving to Linux.

No, I mean it. The root of just about every advantage the Mac had lay in the superior hardware architecture, and the most important aspect of this was in the clean, efficient PowerPC processor. Everything else -such as the software/hardware integration- came forth from it. With Apple settling for what is cheap over what is good, this no longer applies, and the remaining Mac advantages are not enough to justify the extra cost. My next machine will be a homebuilt PC, probably running Ubuntu.

So long, Apple. It's been a good 21 years. But my platform is truly dead.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:13 PM

Fozz_uk
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 03:14 PM

Great, so in 2 years Apple's tiny user base will be split in half. How many developers will be willing to wheel out two versions of an app for a couple of % of marketshare?

I'd love to see Apple taking on Microsoft, but that won't happen if the x86 OSX only runs on Apple boxes. If that's the case the only progress here is slightly more speed in 2 years at the expense of severing PPC users from x86 users. I'm not looking forward to buying my next computer in 1.5 years time, unless of course I can make my own PC and shove 10.5 on it.
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

MacBook | 2GHz C2D | 1GB | 120GB | 10.5.1 |

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Krypton
Indeed.

Well no new Mac for me then (for a year)

[Where's iTunes 4.9 - you can't demo something twice and then not release it!]

no new mac for me for a long time! Im just going to wait until some one makes it so u can install it on an any x86 computer PC. Apple better release a standalone PC copy cuz they will lose out big monies if they dont.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I bet you won't. I mean the intel chip isn't horrible or anything and the way the G5 is evolving the P4 will beat it in less than a year.

I think the only negative is the transition.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jools
What happened to Apple hardware sales in the mid 90's with the announced switch to PowerPC?
Can there be any correlation?
They nearly went out of business. Of course, that was also the same time-frame they tried the clone thing, so it's hard to correlate. Hardware sales for the next year are going to tank, for sure.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 03:24 PM

I see this as good news.

The Mac has never been about the chip inside. When Motorola couldn't deliver anymore, Apple turned to IBM. IBM obviously also couldn't deliver, since they made Steve Jobs look like a fool with his 3Ghz announcement, which was supposed to have happened 1 year ago. So they turn to Intel. The only thing I care about is, will it be more powerful ? Can I run more plug ins ? Will it render quicker ? Does it still run OSX ? Well, hell, I'll take a machine like that.

Besides, this isn't the first time Steve Jobs uses Intel chips inside one of his computers. The NEXT computer also used intel chips.

And those people who say they are going to be waiting are probably the same procrastinators which never buy any latest model anyhow. The same people will probably say when the Intel PowerMac arrives (2007), "Well it's out now, but I'm gonna wait for the second revision."

OreoCookie
Jun 6, 2005, 03:24 PM

I'm also a bit disappointed that IBM didn't manage to offer something competitive – which I can't understand, really, they have a huge portfolio of upcoming chips and if they should have learnt anything from Intel's Itanium, then that they have to offer a high-volume chips.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 03:25 PM

DP . . .

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
What will they do with that graph showing the G5 trouncing the P4?

I'm still stunned.

Change it to OS X trouncing Windows on the same CPU
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

powertrippin
Baninated
Jun 6, 2005, 03:26 PM

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:28 PM

Well so much for all the Alti-Vec and G5 programming enhancements.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN

intel inside widget

my first widget

sideus
Mac Elite

I'll buy an iMac G5 and it will be the last Mac I'll purchase. Started using Macs in 1992. I feel like I'm going to puke.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN

No, I mean it. The root of just about every advantage the Mac had lay in the superior hardware architecture, and the most important aspect of this was in the clean, efficient PowerPC processor. Everything else -such as the software/hardware integration- came forth from it. With Apple settling for what is cheap over what is good, this no longer applies, and the remaining Mac advantages are not enough to justify the extra cost. My next machine will be a homebuilt PC, probably running Ubuntu.

So you'll make things harder on yourself by switching to linux? What do you think a move like this will do to the world of consumer linux users? This could very well destroy any chance of linux as a consumer Windows alternative.

What hardware advantages? The only things remotely unique about the hardware are the mobo, proc and industrial design. Apple hasn't had an advantage in mobo/proc for years and industrial design is a platform independent concept.

And what extra cost? You presume to know what the costs in the future are going to be? If Apple is to increase market share they HAVE to make Macs cheaper period. Not CHEAP, but fully in line with the PC world.

Your reaction seems pretty knee-jerk to me.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:30 PM

Could anyone tell me why they won't move the entire platform all at once to Intel next year ? Why the low end first and then the high end ?

Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Could anyone tell me why they won't move the entire platform all at once to Intel next year ? Why the low end first and then the high end ?
Because the low end isn't going to care about photoshop, Quark and After effects running slower in emulation perhaps?

Remember when Steve and the Adobe prez talked about Carbon and how photoshop was recompiled by ONE guy in 20 minutes to make it run natively in osx? Then it was something like 3 years before Photoshop was native? And remember Quark?

No way in hell well any of those pro apps be ready in a year.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:36 PM

Goldfinger, at a guess, which is all we can do right now, the 'low end' mac (Mac mini, iBook...) will have Pentium 4 processors (or a version of it), and the 'high end' macs will have Pentium 64bit processors (or a version of it).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Ethel Farberty
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by sideus
I'll buy an iMac G5 and it will be the last Mac I'll purchase. Started using Macs in 1992. I feel like I'm going to puke.
Um, ok. Other than a year or two of transition time, why would you care?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
You'd think they'd do it the other way round, what with PowerMac sales being so poor.

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2005, 03:39 PM

I'm moving to an SGI Prism... so long Macworld. Apple is not a stable platform and I was severely dissapointed by this years WWDC. I see slow software development cycles similar to Microsoft on our Horizon. And no matter what Apples says... Mac OS X will be running on any regular PC soon.

bit.shiftr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 03:40 PM

About a month ago I purchased a PowerMac duel 2.7 At the moment I'm not too pleased about this! Perhaps after a few days I'll feel different. I agree that it's going to make it hard to continue marketing the powerpc machines...I wouldn't have make the purchase of the PowerMac if I knew then what I know now.

Oh well, in three to four years I'll be wanting a new machine anyway! ~sigh~
[FONT=Garamond]_____________________________
PowerBook (Alu 15", 1.5Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HD, 64mb VRAM)
PowerMac (Dual 2.7, 2.5Gb RAM, 250Gb HD, ATI 6550 256mb)
PC (P4 3.2Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 740Gb HD, Nvidia 6800 256mb)

"Data becomes information when it changes our decisions. Information becomes knowledge when it changes our processes."[/FONT]

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:40 PM

I fully expect rash, dramatic comments about this from the forums here. But you, on the day the story breaks, before we even know the details? I'm a bit disappointed, Millennium.

I think I'll give it awhile before deciding to change platforms, thank you.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2005, 03:41 PM

I'm a bit mixed by this announcement. In a way it's good and in a way It's not. The Mac was always known for it's uniquness in Processor and OS. Now what's left is the OS. To me It doesn't really matter what's under the hood as long as it still runs OS X. It'll be interesting. Now we don't have to hear "Macs are slower... blah blah blah." I'm frankly tired of explaining it to people. It'll hopefully Make Macs more affordable to the cost minded people and help Apple in the long run. It'll be interesting to see if we will be able to just go out and buy Faster Intel Processors when they come out and upgrade our Macs. That was another thing stopping people from buying Macs. Percieved non-upgradability of the Mac also will hopefully be gone as well. This could be a blessing in desguise.

If it will Run on Intel Based Macs and on regular Intel "PC's" that might also be a good thing. It'll definately give Windows a Run for it's money and give people a TRUE choice in OS. Especially if it Runs what people need it to run.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2005, 03:43 PM

What a sticky situation for Apple. It makes me wonder weather or not I'm going to pick up an iBook when they finally release them. Generally speaking, I make my systems last 3-4 years.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2005, 03:43 PM

Great. The PC trolls are here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules