Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 3 Beta 4 on OS X

Firefox 3 Beta 4 on OS X
striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2008, 09:24 PM

I just updated Firefox 3 to beta 4 version and I love the new look. Has anyone been using it and how do you find the performance compared to Safari 3.1?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 09:48 PM

It takes longer to launch Firefox 3 b4 than Safari 3.1. And it loads just a bit slower than Safari 3.1 but I still use it because of its greater access across the web compared to Safari. For example, GMail still loads in basic HTML instead of standard HTML in Safari 3.1.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2008, 10:02 PM

i'm just trying out today. and may actually ditch safari for firefox.. but still trying out how it feels it comparison.. and the extensions i would like, havent been updated yet.. so..

Sarc
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2008, 10:18 PM

Firefox with AdBlock+Filterset ... it just can't be beat.
If Safari where to provide a) proper GMail functionality, and b) powerful Ad blocking features, I would use it gladly as it has a smaller memory and CPU footprint than FF.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 24, 2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
If Safari where to provide a) proper GMail functionality, and b) powerful Ad blocking features, I would use it gladly as it has a smaller memory and CPU footprint than FF.
Apparently, FF3 Beta 4 is resolving the memory footprint issue.

Cold Warrior
Mar 25, 2008, 01:37 AM

The tabs waste too much space, and the app launches very slowly. Otherwise I like it.

I use SafariBlock, which uses the easylist adblockplus list. Works as well as Adblock Plus via FF.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2008, 10:10 AM

Firefox with AdBlock+Filterset
If by "Filterset" you mean Filterset.G, you should know that Adblock Plus is the current recommended replacement for both of those extensions (Filterset.G is not recommended for use with Adblock Plus).

I've been using beta 4 for a bit and it's great. I just wish those extension developers would hurry up and update.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2008, 10:27 AM

If Safari where to provide a) proper GMail functionality
defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

and b) powerful Ad blocking features
Safariadblock.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
The tabs waste too much space, and the app launches very slowly. Otherwise I like it.
Ahh, but for the tabs, all you need is a skin with smaller tabs. What makes FF better than IE or Safari in terms of aesthetics is that there are hundreds of aesthetics to choose from, with more appearing every day.

Cold Warrior
Mar 25, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Ahh, but for the tabs, all you need is a skin with smaller tabs. What makes FF better than IE or Safari in terms of aesthetics is that there are hundreds of aesthetics to choose from, with more appearing every day.
Can you recommend a couple good skins? Nothing wild, just basic. The more I use the default skin, the less I like it (even though it was hailed as a tremendous step forward for FF on the Mac).

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 11:10 PM

Are we ever going to see pdf support in firefox?

I switched to the safari 3.1betas a while ago and recently decided to switch back to firefox. Tonight I realized why I switched to safari. PDF support! I open a lot of PDFs and safari 3.1 is pretty graceful with PDFs. I might have to switch back.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2008, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by hwojtek View Post
Hacks like these will always be inferior to Firefox extensions as long as Apple doesn't provide an official extension API. Note how they break every time Safari is updated.

Originally Posted by TheMosco View Post
Are we ever going to see pdf support in firefox?
This plugin used to do the trick, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Cold Warrior
Mar 26, 2008, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
Hacks like these will always be inferior to Firefox extensions as long as Apple doesn't provide an official extension API. Note how they break every time Safari is updated.
SafariBlock didn't break. It continues to work perfectly.

haxorjoe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 01:26 AM

I'm happily running Firefox 3B4 with no problems so far. I used to use Camino since it matched with Aqua but now there's no reason to use it when Firefox is better.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 26, 2008, 02:20 AM

If by "Filterset" you mean Filterset.G, you should know that Adblock Plus is the current recommended replacement for both of those extensions (Filterset.G is not recommended for use with Adblock Plus).

I've been using beta 4 for a bit and it's great. I just wish those extension developers would hurry up and update.
Adblock Plus works with beta 4.. just in case you meant that.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2008, 04:40 AM

SafariBlock didn't break. It continues to work perfectly.
Exactly. It's just an additional prefpane of Safari.
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Mar 26, 2008, 12:03 PM

The tabs waste too much space, and the app launches very slowly.
I agree that the tabs are rather larger than necessary but once you fill up the screen and then add more tabs the tabs actually shrink in width so it becomes less of an issue unless it's more of an aesthetics complaint you have. I do understand what you are talking about though because it would be nice if the tabs were as small as Camino's. Also since it's still in beta versions many skins aren't compatible with it as of yet so we can't change the look.

Originally Posted by striker100 View Post
I just updated Firefox 3 to beta 4 version and I love the new look. Has anyone been using it and how do you find the performance compared to Safari 3.1?
I've used the nightly builds since beta 2 versions and I do like the new Firefox. Firefox is still more compatible for some websites compared to Safari 3.1 and the speeds between the two are pretty close. Safari does seem to be a little faster but not anything to brag about. I would rather have accurate displaying and working websites rather than a slighter faster loading speed.

It still is a beta so there are still some bugs that needs to be worked out but the recent Firefox betas have been usable for most daily web browsing.

Cold Warrior
Mar 26, 2008, 12:08 PM

Exactly. It's just an additional prefpane of Safari.
It has an InputManagers folder with files that goes with the pref pane.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 06:47 AM

It has an InputManagers folder with files that goes with the pref pane.
Right. Which makes it a hack.

Originally Posted by zerock View Post
Adblock Plus works with beta 4.. just in case you meant that.
Sorry, what I wrote was confusing. Yes, I'm aware that Adblock Plus works. There are a couple others I use that aren't ready yet.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2008, 07:53 AM

Right. Which makes it a hack.
Right. And since it doesn't break when Safari is updated, it's a legitimate solution to a problem.
Wojtek

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2008, 08:02 AM

Yeah, 'cause Firefox extensions always work with the newest betas

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 08:33 PM

Right. And since it doesn't break when Safari is updated, it's a legitimate solution to a problem.
No, it is a hack and you got lucky. You may not get lucky next time. This is in the same class as APE, which is known to cause all sorts of problems. If you're into that thing, then fine, enjoy. But don't whine when it inevitably breaks.

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
Yeah, 'cause Firefox extensions always work with the newest betas
Those are betas, not production releases. Any actively-maintained plugins are usually updated by the time the official release comes out. And if you want to live dangerously there are ways to force extensions to load on versions that are not officially supported.

On the other hand, InputManager hacks are unsupported in any situation, and often do break with any kind of update.

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2008, 12:02 PM

"Inevitably", "often", or "not yet" (as in: "SafariAdBlock"?) ;-)
Wojtek

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2008, 04:08 PM

So i understand that by using nightlies, that they will probably have some issues but ouch...

This is just with normal browsing.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2008, 07:21 PM

I've been running b4 for days and my RSIZE as reported by Activity Monitor is 140.58MB.

blacksmith_tb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 05:53 PM

No need to wait for extensions to be updated - just disable extension verification. Though some of the most important (Adblock plus, Noscript) have already been updated. But for Firebug, Download statusbar, and a few others, this is working nicely for me.

Sprocket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2008, 08:03 PM

I've been using the beta 2/3 and now 4 version of this browser and really like it No major issues. For sh!ts and giggles I've been using the Theme GrApple Yummy (blue) which gives this browser a more decided Mac-look. Regardless, I'm finished with Safari now -- I don't like the fact that often the browser updates are bundled in with an OS update that may-or-may-not have built in issues. No hassles like that from Firefox -- just a browser update.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2008, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by blacksmith_tb View Post
No need to wait for extensions to be updated - just disable extension verification. Though some of the most important (Adblock plus, Noscript) have already been updated. But for Firebug, Download statusbar, and a few others, this is working nicely for me.
Firebug also has a compatible beta out.

One that I use is the Google Bookmarks Sync extension, and given all the changes made to how bookmarks are handled in FF3, I don't think that's a safe one to manually enable.

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 31, 2008, 11:37 PM

Oh wow, looks nice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules