Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Moving iphoto library to external hard disk drive

Moving iphoto library to external hard disk drive
joec
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2009, 04:08 AM

How do I move part of my iphoto library to an external hard disk drive? What I would like to do is to move all my pre-2009 events into an external HDD and just leave photos I took in 2009 in iPhoto library on my MacBook HDD. In the external HDD, I would like to make separate libraries, one for each year. Is this easy to do without messing up iPhoto?

Thanks in advance.

Joe

OreoCookie
Jun 13, 2009, 05:03 AM

Why would you even want to do this?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2009, 09:25 AM

Smart albums?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

joec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2009, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Why would you even want to do this?
To free up my Macbook hard disk space.

OreoCookie
Jun 14, 2009, 02:52 AM

But since you use iPhoto (and I assume you shoot jpg), it really can't be that much, a few GB at most, right?

I think there is little benefit in what you're trying to do and I'd look elsewhere to save space.

joec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2009, 04:55 AM

But since you use iPhoto (and I assume you shoot jpg), it really can't be that much, a few GB at most, right?

I think there is little benefit in what you're trying to do and I'd look elsewhere to save space.
I shoot both raw and jpg. Currently, get info shows I have 44.57GB in the iPhoto library. I think one of the issue is iPhoto creates another copy in the Modified folder whenever I make any adjustment to a photo. I use iPhoto and Photoshop Elements, but not Aperture or Lightroom. Right now, I am looking for a way to move some of the photos to an external HDD like I said in my first post.

Cold Warrior
Jun 14, 2009, 10:53 AM

These instructions should work
iPhoto 7.0 Help (iLife '08): Moving your iPhoto Library folder to a new location

However, if you're a photo pro or semi-pro, your processing, reads, writes, etc., will all be faster from an internal drive. You should consider just upgrading your internal macbook drive to something with lots of storage. 500 GB drives are inexpensive and widely available.

OreoCookie
Jun 14, 2009, 05:54 PM

Ditto. I'd rather advertise to upgrade the internal drive rather than separate libraries. With Aperture or Lightroom, that'd be a piece of cake, but iPhoto is not really designed to handle offline media (as far as I know).

joec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2009, 08:53 PM

Ditto. I'd rather advertise to upgrade the internal drive rather than separate libraries. With Aperture or Lightroom, that'd be a piece of cake, but iPhoto is not really designed to handle offline media (as far as I know).
Thanks. Does the 500GB 2.5" HDD fit in the MacBook. I heard earlier versions of 500GB drives are thicker and won't fit. In that case, I would go for 320GB.

I guess I can export all the 2009 photos I wanted to keep from iPhoto and store it in another folder, then delete the 2009 photos from iPhoto. After that, I move the pre-2009 iPhoto library to an external HDD. Then, I reimport the 2009 photos into iPhoto. More work but I guess it should work

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2009, 11:25 AM

Try something like iPhoto Library Manager of iPhoto Buddy to do what you want. They each have several features that can help you.
Mary

Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2009, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by joec View Post
How do I move part of my iphoto library to an external hard disk drive? What I would like to do is to move all my pre-2009 events into an external HDD and just leave photos I took in 2009 in iPhoto library on my MacBook HDD. In the external HDD, I would like to make separate libraries, one for each year. Is this easy to do without messing up iPhoto?

Thanks in advance.

Joe
You can use the paid version of Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager to create the new libraries on the external HD (don't try this wirelessly) and then copy the photos you want to them. Since Events are sorted by Date it would be easy to grab all of the 2008 events and copy to the 2008 library like this. This will maintain your keyword, titles, faces and places for those photos. Once you have a year transferred open the external library to confirm it's running OK and all is well before deleting those photos from the MacBook library.

Using iPLM to transfer between libraries has one advantage: it displays the library name in iPhoto's top frame. Makes it easer to remember which library you're in - very important for me.

joec  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2009, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by skybolt View Post
Try something like iPhoto Library Manager of iPhoto Buddy to do what you want. They each have several features that can help you.
I downloaded and tried iPhoto Buddy. I followed method 2 in iPhoto Buddy manual in creating new library and delete unwanted photos. I duplicated the iPhoto library to an external HDD, then deleted all photos except those dated 2008 so I created a 2008 library. However, when I emptied the iPhoto trash, iPhoto hanged. After that, it still shows the same number of photos before the delete but those photos are not accessible anymore.

Thanks for the help anyway. I think the suggestions you guys provided should work. The hanging of iPhoto may be something to do with my MacBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules