Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can I exchange my Macbook Pro for Another Macbook Pro?

Can I exchange my Macbook Pro for Another Macbook Pro?
Thread Tools
JesseHolmz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2009, 11:17 PM
 
i got a mac book pro last week but i was stupid and didn't get the anti-glare screen, and it's getting on my nerves. will they hit me with the penalty even if i'm exchanging it for another one where i'll be spending even more money?
     
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2009, 11:35 PM
 
Why are you asking us? Ask the folks you bought it from.
     
JesseHolmz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2009, 11:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Why are you asking us? Ask the folks you bought it from.
if you had an issue with my post, you should've just not responded at all and let it die
     
AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 14, 2009, 11:58 PM
 
I don't have an issue. My answer still stands.

You still haven't bothered telling us where you bought it.
     
JesseHolmz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2009, 12:00 AM
 
Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I don't have an issue. My answer still stands.

You still haven't bothered telling us where you bought it.
now you're implying that you asked where i bought it

i bought it at the apple store, so from apple. when i mentioned the penalty, i was assuming that people would know i was talking about apple's return fee. i'm just asking if that still applies with exchanges rather than just returning it
     
B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2009, 02:13 AM
 
I think you have 14 days from when you purchased it. Get in touch with Apple as fas as you can and see what they say.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB [email protected]
iPhone 4 32GB Black
     
kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Northern Ireland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 15, 2009, 06:08 AM
 
B Gallagher is right, there's a 14 day period where you can return your mac. I think the matte option is an extra $50?
     
sparker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2009, 10:42 AM
 
Originally Posted by kylef View Post
B Gallagher is right, there's a 14 day period where you can return your mac. I think the matte option is an extra $50?
14 day return, 10% restocking fee. But the Matte option is available ONLY through the online apple store. The stores don't carry it (yet).

Oh, and be aware that it may not be a true matte option. Here's the exact verbiage from the website:
"Choose a standard glossy display that lets you view graphics, photos, and videos with richer colors and deeper blacks, or an optional antiglare display."
Note the distinct lack of the word "Matte". And it is an extra $50....


Steve
( Last edited by sparker; Aug 16, 2009 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Clarify display change)
Steve
     
indigoimac
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2009, 11:02 AM
 
Originally Posted by sparker View Post
14 day return, 10% restocking fee. But the Matte option is available ONLY through the online apple store. The stores don't carry it (yet).

Oh, and be aware that it may not be a true matte option. Here's the exact verbiage from the website:
"Choose a standard glossy display that lets you view graphics, photos, and videos with richer colors and deeper blacks, or an optional antiglare display."
Note the distinct lack of the word "Matte". And it is an extra $50....

Steve
They just don't want to call it matte -- all they do is remove the stupid glass cover to reveal the normal display coating that they get from the manufacturer.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD
     
Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2009, 11:25 AM
 
Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
... all they do is remove the stupid glass cover to reveal the normal display coating that they get from the manufacturer.
and charge extra. Kinda like Dell charging extra to have XP installed instead of Vista.
     
JesseHolmz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Feb 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
 
just thought i would update everyone...

they let me exchange it and waved the restocking fee, and they DID have the "anti-glare" version in stock at the apple store. regardless of if they just remove the glossy cover or whatever, there's no reflection now so i'm happy
     
amazing
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jan 2003
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 11:31 AM
 
Congratulations!

And now we need photos!

Matte rules!
     
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 12:39 PM
 
Sweet!
At first I was not sure about the anti glare screens but would not use a regular one now.

Great to hear they just made the change!
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by indigoimac View Post
They just don't want to call it matte -- all they do is remove the stupid glass cover to reveal the normal display coating that they get from the manufacturer.
This is incorrect. If you remove the "stupid glass cover" you would likely still have a glossy screen beneath it. Matte panels are matte because the manufacturers apply an additional diffusor film to the panel surface. So not only does Apple remove the glas and exchange it for an Al bezel, they also use a different panel, or at least a panel with a different surface.

Believe it or not, without the diffusor every flat panel is glossy.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by amazing View Post
And now we need photos! !
Sure. (click on pics for full res.)

Matte MBP


Glossy MBP

















http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=106
( Last edited by Simon; Aug 17, 2009 at 03:38 PM. )
     
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
 
lol, think you need to resize those images. But good look'n laptop.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:50 PM
 
Personally, I think the black hinge and the black keys look like crap with the Al bezel.

They go great with the black edge of the glass panel, but without it they are entirely out of place.

For the matte MBP the hinge should be gray (like it used to be) and the keys should be either Al or white.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by carterx View Post
lol, think you need to resize those images. But good look'n laptop.
The forum should do that for you.
     
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Personally, I think the black hinge and the black keys look like crap with the Al bezel.

They go great with the black edge of the glass panel, but without it they are entirely out of place.

For the matte MBP the hinge should be gray (like it used to be) and the keys should be either Al or white.
Wait until they go with touch sensitive keys ..... then it will be horrible
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 01:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The forum should do that for you.
the forum does but with that many images at that resolution, it bogs down the thread because the javascript resizer chokes.

Could you change them to links instead of inline? Thanks.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 03:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Could you change them to links instead of inline? Thanks.
Should be better now. I inserted thumbnails with links to the original images.
     
Cold Warrior
Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Polwaristan
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 03:34 PM
 
Thanks, that's great.
     
Simon
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: in front of my Mac
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Aug 17, 2009, 03:38 PM
 
Sure.
     
   
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,