Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I *think* I'm getting one.

I *think* I'm getting one.
robshoy
Jun 30, 2007, 04:53 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I've been a lurker for a while and decided to finally join. About time I suppose, haha. Well, anyway, down to business. I currently have a 17" 1.83 GhZ Intel iMac, and I've had it for about a year. Also, I just got a job, and it pays pretty well, so I have a steady income. (Keep in mind I'm 16 and still go to school and live with my parents, haha) So anyway, I was thinking, I really want a Macbook. In fact, I was thinking of getting a Macbook and using it as my main computer too, and selling my iMac. I have a few potential buyers, and I could always eBay this thing. I was thinking of selling it for around $800 USD. Plus, I have an educational discount since my mom works for a University. Plus, I have about $250 literally lying around in a box in my room at this very moment. (Money from my last birthday that I never got around to spending) After I did the math, it turns out that a new Macbook with the following specs would cost me only about $150, which is crazy good I think.

13" Glossy Widescreen
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1GB memory
120GB hard drive
Double-layer SuperDrive

Now, I would upgrade the memory myself, and probably upgrade the harddrive myself too. My question is really just this: Is now a good time to buy? The circumstances are right for me. But I also know that Leopard is coming out in October and am positive that Apple will roll out new Macbooks to ship with Leopard. So, should I wait until late October to get one or is now a good time?

Thanks, and any other words of advice regarding Macbooks would be great. ^_^

-Rob

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2007, 05:06 PM

Well they were just updated, but it was a pretty pathetic upgrade (still using previous generation chipset/CPU/graphics), so some people have a theory that it was just to tide the masses over and Apple would do a 'real' upgrade in the next few months. I have my doubts, and I assume Apple won't upgrade for another 6+ months.

the1sttransport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 05:20 PM

If it's not pressing, I say wait for October, especially since you have an intel iMac.

No use in enjoying 3-4 months with Tiger only to plop down $129 for Leopard, which you may inevitably want.

StickClicks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 07:04 PM

Hey Rob! Dude, your like my little clone. Same situation. Im 17, had a steady (disposable) income, Had a machine (windows..yuk) and I was really in the market for a new computer. My advice is wait for Leopard to come installed, I needed my machine for school and was working out of the schools computer lab for a month when my windows machine fried. It is all about how badly you need it. Given the circumstances, stick with your iMac until Leopard, and get a awesome new Macbook with it pre-installed

Hope I helped
-Your fellow Rob

robshoy  (op)
Jun 30, 2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I suppose I'll wait for Leopard... at least that's what I should do. Part of me wants to wait, the other part wants that sexy Macbook in my hands this very second. But I suppose the longer I wait the more excited I'll be when I actually get it. So, I think in this case waiting is gonna be the winner.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2007, 11:41 AM

I'm on day 2 of having a new 2.16, and I'm really enjoying it (affordable replacement for DC G5 tower). Just get it. Have fun and be productive for several months and don't waste a minute waiting for some advantage. Get busy and enjoy!
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

robshoy  (op)
Jul 13, 2007, 06:47 PM

Yeah, I got it. I couldn't wait. 2.16GHz 1GB RAM in White.

PhotoBug
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2007, 07:40 PM

well you have $100 left over right? leopards only $29 more! enjoy.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2007, 08:15 PM

Congrats robshoy! I just purchased Parallels and will be trying my old Win98 disc with it.

I'll buy an extra 1GB of RAM in two weeks.
( Last edited by darcybaston; Jul 13, 2007 at 08:15 PM. Reason: typo)
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules