Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How do i set this complicated network up.

How do i set this complicated network up.
nikod
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2009, 06:52 AM

I have a netgear cg814wgv3 Modem/Router. It is connected to the cable for the internet and then it is connected to my xbox via ethernet. I also have a external harddrive connected to the xbox. My macbook pro is running 10.5.4 which is my main computer connected by the inbuilt airport.

Now what i was wondering is how do i network my macbook to see the xbox or the external harddrive connected to the xbox within my macbook. I know there is a program called connect360 but i have tried using it with no success. I have even disabled the firewall, maybe it has something to do with the router ports.

Any ideas????

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 20, 2009, 08:59 AM

I'm sure someone with experience will chime in soon.

Good luck!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nikod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2009, 09:08 AM

i hope so... im glued to the computer pressing refresh

ibook_steve
Oct 20, 2009, 11:25 AM

I know nothing about networking with any Microsoft gaming POC, but there are always standard things you can do:

Can the Xbox connect to the Internet? If not, then there's something else wrong that needs to be fixed first. Start with getting Xbox Internet connectivity. I'm assuming your MBP can get to the Internet because you are posting here.

Can you ping the Xbox? From a terminal window, type "ping x.x.x.x" which is the IP address you've given to the Xbox or it got from your router. I'm sure you can find this in some settings on the box. If not, your router probably has a web-base interface where you can see IP information, most likely DHCP, which is what would be used to give the Xbox an IP address if you didn't select one manually.

Start by establishing basic connectivity, then continue from there to figure out how to connect. Let us know about the ping test.

Steve

P.S. 10.5.4? Any reason why you're not up to date?
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

nikod  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2009, 01:02 AM

Yes the xbox can connect to the internet, i can play on live etc.
My router ip address is 192.168.0.1 and my mcp is 192.168.0.5
I cant seem to set the xbox to have an ip, i dont know what i am missing. i even had problems trying to connect an external harddrive to the router. I have tried to give the xbox a static ip but when i set it up to say 192.168.0.2 my internetnet connection to the xbox was lost.

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 21, 2009, 07:37 AM

If you're online with the XBox, then it MUST have an IP. It's set up in the XBox's Network tab, and it's not hard to get to or review. What's probably happening is that you have the XBox set to use DHCP, so you don't have a FIXED IP on it, making sharing its resources rather difficult-it's sort of a moving target. You can assign the XBox a fixed IP in that network tab, but you should take care to ensure that it's one that isn't already used and is not in the router's pool of addresses used for DHCP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules