Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > power adapter

power adapter
mbeauche
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 09:34 PM

Stupid fecking power adapter-

I have a PowerBook 64 with the 65 watt version of the power adapter. And it no longer works. I plug it into my laptop, and into the wall, and I hear sizzle crackle, see the green light go on, then it fades and goes away. If I wiggle the adapter, the green light goes on, and bam, power to my PowerBook. Thing is, I can't sit there wiggling my power cord if I want to get anything done. Lately its taken me up to 30 minutes to find a configuration of it resting in the socket with the power on, however, it will slip or tilt a bit, or my walking even near it will set it off, and it turns off. How can I fix this?

Pauline
Feb 28, 2004, 12:14 AM

I just went through the same thing with my Powerbook (but it's a 12" 867mhz one) where I'd have to fiddle with the wire to get a charge and the slightest knock would stop it. Eventually the wires became exposed and it wouldn't charge at all. I had to call Apple and get a new charger sent to me. Luckily I was under warranty still.

So I don't think it looks good for you getting the charger fixed unless you know someone who can take a look at it for you?
Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

tomfoolry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by Pauline:
I just went through the same thing with my Powerbook (but it's a 12" 867mhz one) where I'd have to fiddle with the wire to get a charge and the slightest knock would stop it. Eventually the wires became exposed and it wouldn't charge at all. I had to call Apple and get a new charger sent to me. Luckily I was under warranty still.

So I don't think it looks good for you getting the charger fixed unless you know someone who can take a look at it for you?
I'm just curious... did you have to hassle Apple at all to get them to send you a replacement? I called for the same problem and was told that it wasn't covered under the warranty (and I even have Applecare).

Pauline
Feb 29, 2004, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by tomfoolry:
I'm just curious... did you have to hassle Apple at all to get them to send you a replacement? I called for the same problem and was told that it wasn't covered under the warranty (and I even have Applecare).
Nope, didn't have to hassle them too much at all. I just had to take the faulty charger to the nearest Apple reseller and they filled in a form to send off for the new one. But it was Apple who told me to do this, and that it was covered under warranty, so I'd give them another call to see what they say if I were you.
Powerbook G4 1Ghz | 1 GB Ram | 60 GB

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 02:29 PM

a while back, i took my bosses PB and faulty adapter into an Apple store ... the tech/'genius' verified that it did not work and promptly replaced it with one they had in-stock ... we did have applecare ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules