Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1GB RAM for Albook 17, which to get?

1GB RAM for Albook 17, which to get?
nycdunz
Senior User
Feb 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

im looking for the cheapest price to get for 1GB module for my 1GHZ Albook 17", i have 512mb now and want to add a 1GB stick to total it out to 1.5gb of ram... the cheapest I've seen is $299 for some generic ram, will this do? or should i go for brand name for $500? does it really make a difference if its generic or brand name? And most of these places have lifetime warranty of the memory, so does that mean if my ram dies later i can get a replacement for free as many times as i want?

Theres a samsung branded one for $319 and a generic one for $299, please help me out guys, its already expensive as it is, i dont want to blow my money by getting ram that will be unreliable, i dont understand what all this cas latency, etc is for, so please tell me what the best ram to get for my powerbook 17...
and by the way the 1GHZ albook 17 supports up to 2GB ram right or just 1GB?

1GB PowerBook G4 200 Pin DDR PC333 (Samsung Original)
15 and 17 inch versions GENERIC_-_p/n_ALG3364U/1GB/Q2V
_$319.00
fromm 18004memory.com

or this one:

http://store.macsolutions.com/pgi-Pr...pec?PBDDR271GB

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:30 PM

Apple claims that the original PB 17 is only upgradable to 1 GB of RAM. I have heard of people upgrading it further - you'll have to check around the forums if you have an old-school PB . I have the Rev B. PB that I upgraded to 2 GB - I used Apple's RAM - I know - wayyy expensive but I needed it right away and Apple had the market cornered.

I would be wary of 18004Memory - I've bought from them before with mixed results - sometimes they just flash PC RAM for Macs - buggy - crashy RAM. They will exchange it if it doesn't work but I've been through hell with them before - beware. For your PB you'd be better off with someone reputable - like Kingston, etc.
Wherever you go... there you are.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 29, 2004, 08:59 PM

no problems from transintl.com here

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Feb 29, 2004, 09:56 PM

vancenase, $419? what kind of ram is it though, what brand, it doesnt even give you detailed specs on the memory... i want to know what brand it is... cause ive seen kingston for $399... and wanna compare... and how long have you had this memory installed? any probs? big difference in performance n speed?

also is it easy to install the ram? more details please

how about this one, can someone tell me if this is good?

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/ki1gbpc262001.html

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 29, 2004, 10:33 PM

I would go with Kingston for Ram anyday.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

wedgewood
Feb 29, 2004, 11:21 PM

Check out this site

http://store.yahoo.com/memx/17powtit1g.html

It sells Samsung memories which is the same in powerbook.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 12:05 AM

can someone who already has bought 1GB module for there albook 17 please tell me which one is good and that i can rely on, theres too many i dont know what the difference is and which one i can depend on...

i was hoping more like $299 -$399

anything more than that is too much...

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 12:27 AM

I was wating for 1gb to fall to at or below 300 and since you just pointed me to that site i think i might be buying a module pretty soon!! Thanks!!

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Mar 1, 2004, 08:51 PM

anyone? will the 1st gen 17 albook 1ghz model support 2GB or no? can someone confirm this b4 i purchase my memory....

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 03:31 PM

i believe the transintl RAM was SAMSUNG. no problems /at all/ (many problems with a crucial 1GB stick i tried, but they subsequently pulled, so i went with transintl). note: it's a RevB 17"

i bought a while back, so i paid considerably more than what you quoted above -- so it's all a deal in my eyes.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2004, 03:32 PM

oh, and i think 1st gen only supports 1GB total (2x512MB), but i cannot be sure since i do not own one -- check the manual or on apple.com

FlatLyna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2004, 06:25 PM

take a look over at Crucial's website... http://www.crucial.com

They're selling 1GB SO-DIMMs suitable for PB17" for $295
Nick

G5 DP2.0Ghz 970FX 2Gb R9800XT Sony Superdrive
15" Al PBG4 1GHz 768Mb

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2004, 10:48 AM

the Apple manual refers to the higher capacity of the RAM modules available at that moment, same happened with my previous Pismo, total memory (2*256 MB), today memory it has (2*512 MB -> 1GB RAM)

Forum Links
Forum Rules